News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Northern England / Southern Scotland - Gems?
« on: December 18, 2023, 08:32:15 PM »
Trying to see if there are any courses out there in that "no man's" land between Liverpool and say Edinburgh or Glascow.

Siloth comes to mind but was wondering if there were others.

Ben Sims

Re: Northern England / Southern Scotland - Gems?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 08:41:22 PM »
Bamburgh Castle GC is interesting from above. I wonder if anyone has experience there. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 08:51:27 PM »

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 09:26:11 PM »
Trying to see if there are any courses out there in that "no man's" land between Liverpool and say Edinburgh or Glascow.

Siloth comes to mind but was wondering if there were others.

Ummm..."North of Liverpool" you have 10-12 gems/great courses. ;)
I assume you mean north of Royal Lytham etc.

Without crossing to the east coast, there's Windermere in the Lake district ,Seascale,, Siloth , and a new one to me is Lanark GC,southeast of Glasgow en route to Edinburgh from the south which looks intriguing(I played with the pro from there recently-at ANGC of all places) "The world's oldest inland golf club"  Braid and OTM.
Looks pretty good
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 08:56:40 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Worth

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 09:26:53 PM »
In the Lakes District there is Silloth (30 minutes from Carlisle) and Seascale

Both courses are a bit remote with limited lodging options. But the Lakes District is pretty

Powfoot — just outside Carlisle but in Scotland is an OK James Braid course.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 09:30:52 PM by Mike Worth »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 03:34:03 AM »
Silloth and Goswick are, I think, the two best before the Scottish Border.  Muirfield and NBWL are both North of Liverpool but South of Edinburgh but I doubt they are what you had in mind.  For rustic difference, I like Brampton, East of Carlisle.

Also worth seeing are Brancepeth Castle and Seaton Carew.  Nearer Newcastle Tyneside and Northumberland are decent courses.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 06:01:52 AM »
A diversion through the Lake District or east of the A1 will add considerable time to the journey…maybe 1.5 to 2 hours. If you think Seascale or Alnmouth Village are worth it they are excellent gems.

Directly enroute is Appleby, a very good course. Not far away are Carlisle and Penrith. Never played those, but heard good things.

Toward Glasgow is East Renfrewshire. This course has intrigued me for sometime.

Just on the south end of Edinburgh is Braid Hills…a cool course.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 08:51:15 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

James Reader

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 08:23:13 AM »
It’s a bit of a detour (maybe an hour off the motorway) but Southerness is a really strong links in a fabulous setting on the Solway Firth. It would undoubtedly be better known and appreciated if it wasn’t quite so far away from any other top courses (by road at least; it’s actually only a few miles from Silloth as the crow flies).

Of those already mentioned, Lanark and East Renfrewshire are both very good. Carlisle isn’t quite in the same class for me but is decent nonetheless.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2023, 09:18:14 AM »
Alwoodley is one of my favorite inland courses in the world. I would never travel through northern England and the Leeds area without stopping to play.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2023, 09:28:28 AM »
In Cumbria both Ulverston and Seascale were rebuilt by Colt in the Twenties. I haven't seen either but would like to.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 09:54:53 AM »
The answer sort of depends on the route you intend to take. Assuming you drive up the west side and are looking for courses north of Southport and south of Turnberry , here are places I would like to play that are on that general route. Bold are places that I think are priorities, and if they are italicized, I've played them:ApplebyKendalWindermere
Seascale
Silloth - must play
BramptonSoutherness
I'm also somewhat intrigued by the Dunksey course at Portpatrick, but that's a big detour.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2023, 12:35:06 PM »
Alwoodley is one of my favorite inland courses in the world. I would never travel through northern England and the Leeds area without stopping to play.
Interesting.  I love Alwoodley but it isn't my favourite inland course in Yorkshire.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Handley

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2023, 01:46:05 PM »
Silloth on Solway is your best bet.  Play it twice if needed.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2023, 02:04:40 PM »
Bamburgh Castle GC is interesting from above. I wonder if anyone has experience there.

I wrote it up in The Confidential Guide.  Not a great course, but a beautiful spot.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2023, 02:28:33 PM »
As you get Northeast toward Leeds, you get into Alister Mackenzie country--the best being Alwoodley as mentioned.  But there are several others as well.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2023, 02:33:54 PM »
As you get Northeast toward Leeds, you get into Alister Mackenzie country--the best being Alwoodley as mentioned.  But there are several others as well.
Leeds is South of Liverpool, let alone Lytham!

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2023, 02:45:21 PM »

Is it? Leeds is east and north of Manchester which is about the same longitude as Liverpool.

In any case, it’s hard to call top 100 courses or close to it gems…unless I am misreading the situation.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 04:05:41 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jim Hoak

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2023, 03:04:13 PM »
Mark--Not on my map.  Both Leeds and York (where Mackenzie was from) are North and East of Manchester/Liverpool.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 03:06:15 PM by Jim Hoak »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2023, 03:06:24 PM »
Adam Lawrence

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2023, 03:07:12 PM »

Is it hell!
Adam Lawrence

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2023, 03:08:37 PM »
Mark--Not on my map.  Both Leeds and York (where Mackenzie was from) are North and East of Manchester/Liverpool.

MacKenzie was from Wakefield. He and I went to the same school.
Adam Lawrence

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2023, 05:30:59 PM »
Unless Google maps is askew, Leeds is most definitely north of Liverpool.

Original post said nothing about “gems” or not being a top 100.

Maybe I’ve always caught it on perfect days and conditions, but Alwoodley for me is as good as it gets for a non-links, non-oceanside course. I could play there every day and be happy.

Niall C

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2023, 06:09:26 PM »

MacKenzie was from Wakefield. He and I went to the same school.

Yeah ! What was he like ?  ;D

Niall

Steve_Roths

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2023, 09:26:59 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Compiling this into some places to see. 

I don't really have a set path in my head.  I plan to be in Northern England and plan to drive up to EDI.

I am for sure seeing Siloth and just wanted to find some gems that I would not normally see.  Short quirky, etc.

Cheers.

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2023, 03:39:23 AM »
Unless Google maps is askew, Leeds is most definitely north of Liverpool.

Original post said nothing about “gems” or not being a top 100.

Maybe I’ve always caught it on perfect days and conditions, but Alwoodley for me is as good as it gets for a non-links, non-oceanside course. I could play there every day and be happy.

The title?

Steve, if you are going to Silloth it makes sense to add Seascale.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 03:41:50 AM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back