News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Isn’t the 9th at Yale …
« on: December 12, 2023, 04:31:00 PM »
Just a long forced carry over water with a convenient (three) putt back from the swale?
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

mike_malone

Re: Isn’t the 9th at Yale …
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 06:21:35 PM »
It’s not in my top 5 holes on that course.
AKA Mayday

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 06:56:31 PM »
Yes, but I managed to two putt that green!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 07:42:36 PM »
It's an epic inland one-shotter of 235 yards (conceived 100 years ago when that was nearly a driver for the best players in the game) that was intended to be approached with a brassie (two wood) that chased through the valley of sin and trundled onto the green which was only the back half. A three on that hole to the back half was and remains a stark test of shot-making and short-game acumen. The mid-iron shot to the front half, which is the predominant pin position, has its own strategic and penal virtues, but it isn't he same hole as originally intended, when it is merely a 6 or 7 iron for a college player to a typically soft, sticking green.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 09:29:26 PM by Colin Sheehan »

JohnVDB

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 09:16:24 PM »
I officiated at the NCAA Regional there in 2022. The players were hitting 6 and 7 irons to the back hole location the day I was on that side.  I’m not sure the tee was all the way back though.

It’s a fun hole, but not my favorite there and not my favorite Biarritz.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 08:39:10 PM »
I look back on my two trips to Yale, and I like the idea that 9 doesn't play like a perfect Biarritz, and that 13 doesn't play like a perfect Redan. Yale is a special place to play some golf. Our great golf mentor at my school was an Eli in hockey and golf, back in the day.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

MLevesque

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2023, 09:57:45 AM »
It's an epic inland one-shotter of 235 yards (conceived 100 years ago when that was nearly a driver for the best players in the game) that was intended to be approached with a brassie (two wood) that chased through the valley of sin and trundled onto the green which was only the back half. A three on that hole to the back half was and remains a stark test of shot-making and short-game acumen. The mid-iron shot to the front half, which is the predominant pin position, has its own strategic and penal virtues, but it isn't he same hole as originally intended, when it is merely a 6 or 7 iron for a college player to a typically soft, sticking green.

I agree with Colin that the 9th at Yale remains an epic one-shorter, however modern equipment and the predominant front half pin position has mitigated the hole’s intended challenge. That said, I still find my pulse quickens and senses sharpen as I play this still captivating hole. I’m hopeful that Gil Hanse’s restoration will allow for the more frequent use of the back half pin position and maybe the ball/equipment rollback will restore this hole to Raynor’s intended strategy and challenge.

I am Skew!

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2023, 01:19:56 PM »
   Why is the front pin position predominant? Is there something about the architecture that Hanse needs to fix, or is it just the super’s preference?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2023, 03:31:12 PM »
Jim, the rear plateau is much more narrow and shallow than the front.  I’d guesstimate the front is 60% of the surface, the swale 15% and the rear about 25% or so.  That’s disproportionate compare to other templates, particularly those where the front tier is maintained as fairway. Those types support the contention that the rear tier is  the predominant (or only)  tier.

That’s why I contend it’s really just a glamorous water hole.  I’m very fond of Yale otherwise.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

MLevesque

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2023, 05:37:58 PM »
   Why is the front pin position predominant? Is there something about the architecture that Hanse needs to fix, or is it just the super’s preference?

Jim, I’d be interested in Colin’s opinion on your question. I suspect the reasons could be 1) the gradual decrease in the back tier green size over the years reducing the pin-able options and 2) a concession to pace of play on general play days; 220+ yard carry over water to a relatively small target with shrubbery on the right hillside makes for extra swings and ball searching that slows down play. I expected the Hanse’s restoration will return the entire green to its previous size and a more equitable distribution in pin location. Pace of play, well …

I am Skew!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back