News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Re: Battle of the Carolina Sandhills(es)
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2023, 03:04:50 AM »
Joe,

Can you share the five North Carolina Sandhills courses you are most likely to play and what the green fees are?

I bought a house in the village of Pinehurst in 2012.  I'll likely retire in 2030 and spend the majority of the year in Pinehurst.  Courses 1-6 and 8 for less than $600/month (additional trail fee at #2).  Off season rates at Mid Pines and Southern Pines are under $100.  Tobacco Road is just over $100 off season.  I also have played a number of the non-big name courses for less.

How do you think it would look for me in SC?
Joe,

As I said, the Aiken area is mostly private clubs, including Palmetto, Sage Valley, Tree Farm, Old Barnwell and the yet to be built 21 Club. There are also some residential property clubs which I don’t know much about.

The exception is The Aiken Golf Club, a Ross design muni I played last year for $40. If I lived full time in Aiken, assuming I didn’t join a club, playing that course on a regular basis wouldn’t be bad, though it is not ideal for walking.

Each of the Aiken private clubs appear to have their own character. Nick Schreiber’s vision for Old Barnwell certainly encouraged me to join. Funny thing: I still have only seen the course in the clearing completed/dirt only stage, but when I visited I was barely out of the car and I already was convinced something really good could be built there.

As far as fees for Aiken clubs I am only familiar with Old Barnwell and would say they are affordable for both local and national memberships.
Tim Weiman

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2023, 03:11:51 PM »

Joe,

As I said, the Aiken area is mostly private clubs, including Palmetto, Sage Valley, Tree Farm, Old Barnwell and the yet to be built 21 Club. There are also some residential property clubs which I don’t know much about.

The exception is The Aiken Golf Club, a Ross design muni I played last year for $40. If I lived full time in Aiken, assuming I didn’t join a club, playing that course on a regular basis wouldn’t be bad, though it is not ideal for walking.

Each of the Aiken private clubs appear to have their own character. Nick Schreiber’s vision for Old Barnwell certainly encouraged me to join. Funny thing: I still have only seen the course in the clearing completed/dirt only stage, but when I visited I was barely out of the car and I already was convinced something really good could be built there.

As far as fees for Aiken clubs I am only familiar with Old Barnwell and would say they are affordable for both local and national memberships.

I agree that the quality in the Aiken area is higher but for me I'm picking NC based the overall package.  In the Aiken area I've only played Old Barnwell and think you made a great decision joining.  Course was top 3 on the year from me, in a pretty good year of courses played.  The fact that additional courses are being built makes it even more attractive.

External from golf I pick the area around Pinehurst over Aiken and while Augusta is much closer than Raleigh, I also take Raleigh.  We flew into Charleston and out of Atlanta on the trip I just made a few weeks ago.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2023, 10:05:34 PM »
Joe,

I actually considered moving to Pinehurst last year and came close to doing so even after my decision to join OB. Definitely a nice place for retirement. Instead I decided to be a Cleveland snowbird where I have family, old friends, a place I own to live and even my limited membership at Sand Ridge to occasionally play.
Tim Weiman

jeffwarne

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2023, 09:31:07 AM »
Two great areas, more public access in Pinehurst.  Weather is warmer in Aiken, which can be the difference between a one hour frost delay and a three hour frost delay, and a 52 degree day and a 48 degree day.

A well connected golfer with a few Old Barnwell/Tree Farm/Palmetto friends can build an epic trip based around several Aiken Golf Club Rounds, and hopefully a Midland Valley as it just sold(cool cheap(or at least was) Ellis Maples with a bit of non intrusive housing-don't know the plans for it)
Throw in 21 Club, Broomsdege, Forest Hills(public Augusta) Augusta CC, SAge Valley, River Club, Camden(somewhat accessible and affordable) and there's plenty there.
For the budget minded Pine Ridge(see Midland Valley/Forest Hills) in Edgefield is good fun as well.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2023, 09:46:23 AM »
Two great areas, more public access in Pinehurst.  Weather is warmer in Aiken, which can be the difference between a one hour frost delay and a three hour frost delay, and a 52 degree day and a 48 degree day.

This is very good inside info.  Thanks Jeff.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim Martin

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2023, 09:58:54 AM »
The public access angle is important for many golfers who have neither the connections or inclination to access the privates. When you consider the three Ross courses in Southern Pines, the lineup at the Pinehurst Resort and Tobacco Road it’s not a fair fight with North Carolina the clear winner.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2023, 10:34:14 AM »
The public access angle is important for many golfers who have neither the connections or inclination to access the privates. When you consider the three Ross courses in Southern Pines, the lineup at the Pinehurst Resort and Tobacco Road it’s not a fair fight with North Carolina the clear winner.

And IMO, a lot of quality course get lost in the shuffle in the NC Sandhills just by being overshadowed by the ones you mention.  I’d put Talamore, Longleaf, and Legacy in that category, and Whispering Pines only a notch behind because of conditioning.  Quail Ridge was an elite course years ago, hosting the ACC tournament and US Open qualifiers, then fell on hard times but is now being brought back by new ownership; same with Woodlake. And that’s just a partial list of good options.

Really, it’s a remarkable area for pubic access golf.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tim Martin

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2023, 11:02:24 AM »

And IMO, a lot of quality course get lost in the shuffle in the NC Sandhills just by being overshadowed by the ones you mention.  I’d put Talamore, Longleaf, and Legacy in that category, and Whispering Pines only a notch behind because of conditioning.  Quail Ridge was an elite course years ago, hosting the ACC tournament and US Open qualifiers, then fell on hard times but is now being brought back by new ownership; same with Woodlake. And that’s just a partial list of good options.

Really, it’s a remarkable area for pubic access golf.

I have to check out those you have mentioned along with Mid South which is noted to be one of the better Arnold Palmer courses.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2023, 03:42:10 PM »
I have to check out those you have mentioned along with Mid South which is noted to be one of the better Arnold Palmer courses.

I played Mid South a couple of years ago and was impressed; it was better than I was expecting. I'd happily play it again.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2023, 04:57:51 PM »
Tim,

What do you mean by “inclination to access the privates”?
Tim Weiman

Tim Martin

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2023, 05:32:34 PM »
Tim,

Tim-The majority of golfers in the U.S. play at a course that grants public access. I don’t think it occurs or matters to many that they can access a couple of privates while on a golf trip.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 05:38:35 PM by Tim Martin »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2023, 05:41:20 PM »
Tim,

Tim-The majority of golfers in the U.S. play at a course that grants public access. I don’t think it occurs or matters to many golfers that they can access a couple of private courses while on a golf trip.
Tim,

I agree with you. Golf architecture junkie types want to see privates for the architecture, but we are a small percentage of all golfers.

That said, sticking with Paul’s definition of the SC Sandhills, there are probably a high percentage of golfers who at least think about playing Augusta and probably far more than those that think about playing Pinehurst #2.

Television can have a big impact.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back