News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

James Brown

Re: The Average Golfer visits Goswick
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 07:21:51 PM »
I think his videos are getting more interesting.  This was very serene.  Made we wanna go there badly.

Brian Finn

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 09:18:08 PM »
I think his videos are getting more interesting.  This was very serene.  Made we wanna go there badly.
Completely agree. His videos are far more interesting since he pivoted away from equipment toward travel and courses. Style is better, too. Goswick is an absolute treat. We spent a day there in 2019 and it was a surprise favorite for some of my friends.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Steve Wilson

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 10:29:08 AM »
What a Buda that was!  12-15 still stand out as maybe my favorite four hole sequence I've ever encountered.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 09:17:33 PM »
I've played Goswick several times. My all time favorite story there was when my wife, Valerie, had just purchased some bright pink golf balls (1985-ish) and they were completely new to the game. She lost one on No. 9 and we could never figure how how because everyone saw it gently slide into the rough. After the 18th we saw some young lads bouncing a bright pink ball on the sidewalk and they quickly hid it — "Hey, did you find that on the 9th" we asked. "No....nahhh....no way...we've had this for months..." Made us smile. Obviously there had never been a pink "Flying Lady" in all  of the UK — and certainly not at Goswick!!

It's a wonderful course, and far underrated all those years. Much like Dornoch — which few knew until the ASGCA visited many years ago for an annual meeting — Goswick has been 'discovered' by way of those of us who have graced its great land.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 07:09:34 PM »
Much like Dornoch — which few knew until the ASGCA visited many years ago for an annual meeting

Seriously?  You didn't read Herbert Warren Wind's article about it in The New Yorker?  You didn't know the Amateur Championship was played there in 1985?  I believe it was ranked among the top 50 courses in the world before you guys ever saw it.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 02:13:00 AM »
Goswick is a real star.

Has anyone got a link to the fancy M&E sales booklet? I’d love to know what their plans are.

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 03:53:38 AM »
The big change is to shorten 6.. Create a new short hole between the current 6th and 7th. Drop the 9th. I have no idea if this plan was approved or will be carried out.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 04:11:30 AM »
The big change is to shorten 6.. Create a new short hole between the current 6th and 7th. Drop the 9th. I have no idea if this plan was approved or will be carried out.

Ciao
I'm not sure 6 is being shortened - I think they're moving the tee back as well as moving the green back.  I don't like the change of moving that green, I think it's superb but they need to do that to slot in a new tee for a par 3 down to behind the existing 7th tee.

I think 8 is being lengthened (again, I'm not convinced).
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 05:07:54 AM »
OK,

I was very kindly sent the plans by someone on here.

In general, I like the concept. It is just the Front nine that is being tackled but there are some significant benefits.

As usual with M&E work, you can question whether they’ve suggested a little bit too much (three brand new greens in nine) and because of that, the devil will be in the detailing: I’m always incredibly nervous when new greens are built on classic courses.

By far the biggest worry is the loss of the 6th green. The new green site is a natural one but the 6th is - for my money - the best hole on the course and the current green site has a lot to do with that.

The dropping of the 9th and realignment of the 1st is a completely logical one. Again, a recurring theme with M&E course renovations is the introduction of one new par-3 that has other knock-on effects… but I like all the suggestions here. Moving the 8th green is primarily to shorten the walk to the 10th tees but like Mark, a little sceptical with that one. Still, it makes a tonne of sense.

Bottom line - if the changes are implemented with appropriate detail and shaping similar to the rest of the greens, I think it will definitely improve the course.

JJShanley

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 05:22:13 AM »
I've played or walked Goswick perhaps six times and generally enjoy it. It struck me that current #10 might make a better start, then go through until 17, before heading up to 2, then the current front nine (with the adjustments suggested) with current/realigned 1 as 17, then finishing with the current 18.

Current 8 reminds me of 17 at Lytham.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2023, 06:55:38 AM »
Seems like a lot of work to resolve the 9th. The 6th is already tough as hell. No need for more yards. The 8th green site is excellent. It’s one of the best approaches on the course.

I would think redesigning the 9th the hole should be seriously explored.

I would rather see the 18th shortened to a par 3 with trees and OoB removed. At least try the cheap option before spending a load of dosh.

It seems M and E usually find a complicated way to resolve issues when there are cheaper options available. They don’t seem to mind long transitions as a bi product of their work.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2023, 07:09:59 AM »
Their primary driver did not appear to be sold as re-designing the 9th though, Sean. It was about giving more space around the clubhouse whilst getting rid of the internal OOB. The best solution naturally moves towards removing the 9th.

Of course, the narrative is very easily amended to match the desired endgame.

The 6th is not getting yards added. They are just finding new teeing positions to recover yards lost with the new green site.

JJ - an interesting re-sequencing idea that would flow very well and leave the possibility of keeping the 8th green where it is. I think the negatives probably outweigh the positives, not least the eradication of returning nines.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2023, 07:14:28 AM »
I would rather see the 18th shortened to a par 3 with trees and OoB removed. At least try the cheap option before spending a load of dosh.
There's no OB on the 18th - the Internal OoB is only on the 1st, I believe.  But I'd lose the trees, for sure.  I'm in a minority, I suspect, but I like 18 as it is (bar the trees but they impact 1 more than 18).
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2023, 07:18:39 AM »
I like 18 too, Mark. Only negative for me is the walk back up the hill from 17 green. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see this whole area recommended for change when the Back Nine comes on to the table.

I also like the homeliness of the first tee and the putting green. So whilst the driver to change that area is clear, on the other hand it also represents another small example of homogenisation as courses move to “bigger” solutions.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2023, 07:41:24 AM »
I do agree 100% with Tom re Dornoch’s not being remotely unknown for at least two generations now, and i also have to point out that Goswick has been a regular Open qualifying venue over the years, so again hardly a hidden gem….doesn’t make it any less wonderful, but it’s not quite the absolute exotica some postings here might suggest!

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2023, 07:54:59 AM »
There's no OB on the 18th - the Internal OoB is only on the 1st, I believe.  But I'd lose the trees, for sure.  I'm in a minority, I suspect, but I like 18 as it is (bar the trees but they impact 1 more than 18).

Yes, I think you are right. I meant OoB on 1 which is caused by the 18th. Making 18 a short hole solves that and eliminates the horrible walk back. The only good reason (unless money is no object) I could see for dropping 9 is because of shots going long…I have noticed this quite a bit. A new tee well left for 1 will be aiming at the OoB…no? Unless serious fairway shaping is planned which offers a decent approach from the left.

I am generally for trying the simple fix first.

Ciao

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2023, 07:57:56 AM »
What was the full summer greenfee this year?
Also, given the praise and publicity Goswick has received particularly over the last couple of years I can't help but wonder what the full greenfee will be next year and in the years thereafter? Golf tourist buses time?
atb
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 10:17:10 AM by Thomas Dai »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2023, 08:11:30 AM »
Sean, a new tee well left of One will soften the dogleg and eradicate the need for OoB. The only reason it is there is because of the temptation to go down 18 for a much shorter line. That will be gone.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2023, 10:37:16 AM »
Sean, a new tee well left of One will soften the dogleg and eradicate the need for OoB. The only reason it is there is because of the temptation to go down 18 for a much shorter line. That will be gone.
Going down 18 wouldn't just offer a shorter line but also an easier angle of approach, going up the false front rather than across it.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2023, 10:40:38 AM »
I think 9 is generally felt to be the weakest hole on the course.  It's a dull green, with artificial mounding.  But fixing that by changing one of the best holes on the course (I'm not sure I'd like to say that 6 was "better" than 11, or 4, or 12, or 15.....) seems unneccesary

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2023, 11:53:38 AM »
What a great-looking course. I love the fairways and green surrounds. I don't get up that way very often anymore, but if I do, it will definitely be on my playlist.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2023, 01:04:07 PM »
Going down 18 wouldn't just offer a shorter line but also an easier angle of approach, going up the false front rather than across it.

Currently going down 18 offers a 50m shorter hole. The key is to have the tee far enough over that the left to right dogleg (1st hole) is softer and therefore shorter than an alternative right to left dogleg (going up 18). Still touch and go though, I agree. And the further the 1st tee moves left, the further it is from the clubhouse and the longer the transition from the 8th green to 10 tees…. Very much starts to lose a little of its nice homely feel.

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2023, 02:12:28 PM »
I think 9 is generally felt to be the weakest hole on the course.  It's a dull green, with artificial mounding.  But fixing that by changing one of the best holes on the course (I'm not sure I'd like to say that 6 was "better" than 11, or 4, or 12, or 15.....) seems unneccesary

The 9th does have the advantage of being wholly different from the other 3s as it’s flat.

The proposed 1st tee will have to be quite some distance from the house to negate the threat of OoB. Literally 350 plus yards to reach the OoB.

While the current setup isn’t ideal, it does the have the advantage of being compact. There is much to be said for that. Be careful what you wish for.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 12:46:47 PM by Sean_A »

Michael Moore

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2023, 12:27:28 PM »
What was the full summer greenfee this year?
Also, given the praise and publicity Goswick has received particularly over the last couple of years I can't help but wonder what the full greenfee will be next year and in the years thereafter? Golf tourist buses time?
atb

Excellent questions. It looks like summer mornings in 2024 will be 120 pounds, decreasing to 100 then 80 as the day goes on, and if you can get three friends to join you there is a further discount for that, which I really like. I am seriously tempted to go back for a week and purchase a membership.

I made the trek from North Berwick in 2014 and loved every part of Goswick - the practice area, the indecipherable geezers who fleeced me in their daily game, the course of course, and lunch/craic. It may be the greatest "aw shucks" humble 675 pounds a year (!!) course I have ever played.

If the fee goes to 220 pounds in 2026 and there are buses piled up in the car park, I say good for them. The clubhouse could use an upgrade.

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back