News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Flory

Golf Courses out of place
« on: December 07, 2023, 11:44:51 PM »
I was doing something on Twitter that I thought would be fun for us here.  The idea was to take golf holes and switch out the environments to see how that changes the feelings that you have about the holes and/ or the architecture.  It's the sort of thing that is hard to imagine until you see it.  In the golf ratings world, that's often a mental exercise- to imagine the course on a boring piece of land in the Midwest to think about whether you really like the course or just the setting. 

Anyway, here are a few that I did.  I'll probably add more periodically.  Going large scale with these- hope it isn't annoying. 

Peter Flory

Re: Golf Courses out of place
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 11:46:03 PM »
No2:

Peter Flory

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 11:46:47 PM »
No3

Peter Flory

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 11:48:15 PM »
No4- much less famous than the ones before this.  This is actually a course from IL that was given a new pretend home. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 04:53:14 AM »
Nice one Peter. Some very different perspectives. Too often it’s the background that’s remembered rather than what’s being played.
Atb

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 04:31:05 PM »
Peter, I'm not on Twitter, so please continue posting your photos here!

I'm not of the opinion that a golf course can be viewed/ranked/categorized solely on the basis of its architecture. Although courses have out of bounds and property borders, the field of play can't help but meld with the greater surrounding environment in the eye of the player. It's an outdoor game, so however far a view may be from a particular spot on a course, whether that's the backyard pool of a home, an ocean's horizon line, or sand hills miles away, it's incorporated into the experience of taking in one's surroundings, selecting targets, and hitting shots. A course's sense of place can enhance or detract the experience of its design merit. Architectural consideration should take priority, don't get me wrong, but it's not the only marker of what gives a course its character.

Instagram: mj_c_golf

Ronald Montesano

Re: Golf Courses out of place New
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2023, 05:26:36 PM »
I cannot tell which holes these are. I'm in a state of literal confusion. I checked it out on Twitter and still did not recognize the holes. I haven't played any of those courses, so the visuals from side to side (not the depth) were lost on me.

It's a cool move, though. I'll keep checking the Tweet and hopefully notch my belt.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 08:19:05 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 07:15:59 PM »
1st one is LACC I believe?
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 07:24:35 PM »
1st one is LACC I believe?

I was thinking same, approach to 8.  And it may just look better in its "new" home.  :D

P.S. 2 and 3 appear to be switched.  Heathland near the ocean, and sea-side links in someplace like Nebraska

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back