News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

"This is the coolest place I've ever been!"
« on: December 07, 2023, 10:44:46 AM »
So exclaimed my son on the sixth hole of Somerset CC in MN. I feel that way about most of the Raynor courses. There is just a feel to them that is unique. Part of it is the clubs at which he designed have an old-world feel. They are some of the best clubs in the country. If I had to pick one designer to play the rest of my life, it might be he.

Where is your coolest place? For me, it was the Alps/Punchbowl at Fishers.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jerry Kluger

Re: "This is the coolest place I've ever been!"
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 11:11:04 AM »
I would have to say the Redan at Yeamans Hall.  I had played in an event where they allowed amateurs to play with Carolinas Senior PGA members for 3 days.  It was quite amazing to see and hear the reaction of non-gca golfers as they began their complaining on the double plateau green on the first hole and never let up from there. 

Jim Hoak

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 11:57:47 AM »
Biarritz 9th at Yale!

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 12:11:03 PM »
Has to be the 17th tee at Cypress Point.
Tim Weiman

David Kelly

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 12:29:41 PM »
First tee at St. Andrews.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Doug Bolls

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 12:36:49 PM »
Since most of us will never get to the 17th at Cypress, I will nominate the 3rd at Mauna Kea as a cool ocean hole any one of us can play.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 12:43:50 PM »
Not sure it was the hole as much as it was a sudden, overwhelming feeling that "this might be the perfect course," but I got hit with that on the 14th tee at Dornoch.

In terms of pure coolness, probably standing on the first tee at Tobacco Road for the first time.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 01:00:35 PM »
"Not sure it was the hole as much as it was a sudden, overwhelming feeling that "this might be the perfect course," but I got hit with that on the 14th tee at Dornoch."

I really like the upper tee on the par-3 13th at Dornoch that was put into play 4-5 years ago. It is high enough so you can see the beautiful Dornoch beach and the Firth over the dune ridge, as well as most of the course. It also gives you a much better view of the 13th green.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 01:02:36 PM »
Biarritz 9th at Yale!

Agreed!

PS: Hackensack's Biarritz is pretty good as well!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 01:16:37 PM »

7th and 18th tee's on Pebble Beach are hard to beat.

This won't be popular but I still remember standing on the 3rd tee on Torrey Pines South on just a beautiful day. The ocean was flat as a pond and my thought was wow, it doesn't get much better than this.

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Jim Hoak

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2023, 01:55:28 PM »
I'm sorry.  I missed the point of this question; I thought it was meant to mean the coolest place on any Raynor course.
I still stand by a love for the Yale 9th, but my favorite place in all of golf is standing on the 9th tee of Royal County Down--looking to the Mountains of Mourne in the distance, the town and the Slieve Donnard hotel to one side, the varied vegetation and rock out-croppings lining both sides down the hole, and the mounding and dunes on either side of the green.  If there can be a religious moment in golf, Tommy, that would be it.  The coolest, most God-inspired place in all of golf!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 01:57:00 PM by Jim Hoak »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2023, 02:00:42 PM »
Teeing off on 1 and walking up 18 at TOC.  I recall thinking, I'm the only person in the world playing the 18th at St. Andrews right now.  Like it was my moment in my golfing life.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2023, 02:38:11 PM »
The back of the clubhouse at Pinehurst, with a vista that includes the range, the teaching center, Thistle Du, The Cradle, tees and greens of multiple courses including #2, the Ross and Stewart statues, an people who love golf everywhere.

Along with TOC, it is the cathedral of our game.  I’ve been many, many times now, but I’m still grateful and in awe every time.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2023, 02:59:51 PM »
I'm sorry.  I missed the point of this question; I thought it was meant to mean the coolest place on any Raynor course.
I still stand by a love for the Yale 9th, but my favorite place in all of golf is standing on the 9th tee of Royal County Down--looking to the Mountains of Mourne in the distance, the town and the Slieve Donnard hotel to one side, the varied vegetation and rock out-croppings lining both sides down the hole, and the mounding and dunes on either side of the green.  If there can be a religious moment in golf, Tommy, that would be it.  The coolest, most God-inspired place in all of golf!!

Nine tee is pretty awesome, but I will never forget the first time I crested the hill on my way to the second shot. I didn't want to leave. I am partial to the fourth tee, as well.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Shane Wright

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2023, 03:01:59 PM »
Tom, when did your son say this about Somerset CC?  The spot he is referring to is now going to be #5 and even better. 

Brian Finn

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2023, 03:15:25 PM »
Ben's Porch at Sand Hills
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2023, 03:20:46 PM »
The seventeenth at NGLA. At this point, you're pretty drunk on everything you've seen leading up to that tee, but from that vantage point you're in the shadow of the windmill, the bay twinkles in the distance, the clubhouse off to the left, the entrance gate behind the green, and the fescue sways lazily all around you while you ponder how you're going to keep this tee shot out of trouble.

If the hole were earlier in the round it probably doesn't quite have the same effect. At this point in the round, though, a little sadness has started to creep in that the round is nearly over. My wife will often save crispy, or her favorite little bits of an entree and save them for the last bite. She calls it "The Perfect Bite". A bite to remember a bit of culinary artistry. For me, the 17th at NGLA is the golf version of "The Perfect Bite".

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2023, 04:21:28 PM »
All of above except for the 3rd tee at Torrey Pine South  ;D

And I would add one more..the first tee at Honesdale Country Club (PA)...where art Wall Jr learned the game...in August, 1955 as I was about to hit my first golf shot on a real golf course ever (a low pull...probably hit on the heel)

Rob Marshall

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2023, 06:19:54 PM »
All of above except for the 3rd tee at Torrey Pine South  ;D

And I would add one more..the first tee at Honesdale Country Club (PA)...where art Wall Jr learned the game...in August, 1955 as I was about to hit my first golf shot on a real golf course ever (a low pull...probably hit on the heel)

Knew that as coming….
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

David Kelly

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2023, 06:22:24 PM »
Teeing off on 1 and walking up 18 at TOC.  I recall thinking, I'm the only person in the world playing the 18th at St. Andrews right now.  Like it was my moment in my golfing life.
The first time I played Cypress Point, I stood over the ball on the 16h tee and thought to myself, "Your whole golfing life has brought you to this point, don't f*** it up." And I didn't, although in subsequent plays there I did.

I thought that was the apex of my golfing life yet a year or two later I found myself more in awe and more nervous standing on the 1st tee at The Old Course.  That feeling has never been topped.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2023, 06:56:13 PM »
19,740 feet atop Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Oh, you meant golf?

Old MacDonald.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2023, 07:03:42 PM »
I would have to say standing on Pacific Dunes # 11 tee box with a club in my hand and has to be one of the best places on earth.  I dont know where Tom Doak ranks that hole in terms of all the greats he has built but to me that is the greatest golf hole on the planet.  I just stinking love it!
"Pure Michigan"

Tim Martin

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2023, 07:07:17 PM »
11 tee Ballybunion Old

John Foley

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2023, 07:53:50 PM »
Ben's Porch at Sand Hills

I second the nomination!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2023, 08:05:02 PM »
Tom, when did your son say this about Somerset CC?  The spot he is referring to is now going to be #5 and even better.

Shane, it was probably 20 years ago. I know the course has changed the routing a few times. I hope to see it after this last iteration.
St. John of the Cross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back