News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

THE GOLF COURSES OF SETH RAYNOR: the book
« on: November 27, 2023, 09:02:02 AM »
I received my copy of the book a week ago. It is absolutely stunning in the photographs and descriptions of the courses and holes studied. It belongs in any golf book collector's library.

https://back9press.com/pages/raynor
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Rudovsky

Re: THE GOLF COURSES OF SETH RAYNOR: the book
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 10:01:55 AM »
Tommy--

You just cost me about $100 ;D .  Thanks.  Greatest architect ever IMHO

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 10:39:51 AM »
Seth Jagger Raynor (May 7, 1874 – January 23, 1926) was an American golf course architect and engineer. He designed approximately 85 golf courses in about 13 years, his first in 1914, at age 40. His mentor was Charles Blair Macdonald, the creator of the National Golf Links of America, and a member of the World Golf Hall of Fame
Raynor was also the mentor of Charles Banks who completed many of Raynor's unfinished works after he died. Banks went on to a solo design career, creating approximately 15 courses.

Tamarack Country Club is a Charles Banks in 1929 ,the course includes many template holes that were the trademark of Banks’ mentors, Seth Raynor and C.B Macdonald, and a few great original holes on the back nine. The course is memorable for its massive scale throughout the property, often allowing players to recover from wayward misses. Though Tamarack delivers options in where you can hit it, the brawny course makes it difficult to score if you’re not in the correct spots.

I'd like to buy the book but the link needs to be expanded so the book can be ordered.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 10:49:37 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 11:03:00 AM »
google "The Golf Courses of Seth Raynor"

David Wuthrich

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 11:29:10 AM »
I received my copy of the book a week ago. It is absolutely stunning in the photographs and descriptions of the courses and holes studied. It belongs in any golf book collector's library.

https://back9press.com/pages/raynor

I agree with Tommy!  I got mine and read it cover to cover.  A must for any golf nut!

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 11:53:50 AM »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 11:54:41 AM »

I'd like to buy the book but the link needs to be expanded so the book can be ordered.

The link I provided should take you to the website for Back Nine Press and the book.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 03:15:01 PM »
Tommy--

You just cost me about $100 ;D .  Thanks.  Greatest architect ever IMHO
Paul,

I probably don’t have all the dates clear, but I kind of wonder why Raynor didn’t do what became Springdale.

Did he piss off Woodrow Wilson?
Tim Weiman

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 03:26:09 PM »
He couldn't redesign the course in 1926 because he died in January of that year.
While he's always associated with Princeton, someone told me he never did complete his degree.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 03:29:20 PM by Colin Sheehan »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 11:18:06 AM »
He couldn't redesign the course in 1926 because he died in January of that year.
While he's always associated with Princeton, someone told me he never did complete his degree.

Huh.  I never noticed that Raynor had gone to Princeton.

The same is true of Robert Trent Jones . . . he attended Cornell for two years, but audited a lot of individual classes, and didn't get a degree.  Of course, that was during the Depression, but that wasn't exactly how Red Hoffman wrote it up.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2023, 01:07:14 PM »

Huh.  I never noticed that Raynor had gone to Princeton.

The same is true of Robert Trent Jones . . . he attended Cornell for two years, but audited a lot of individual classes, and didn't get a degree.  Of course, that was during the Depression, but that wasn't exactly how Red Hoffman wrote it up.
Tom,

I’m waiting for Paul Rudovsky to tell us the best golf architect who attended MIT.

Paul will have to determine whether two schools can claim credit for the same guy.
Tim Weiman

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2023, 01:30:09 PM »

I’m waiting for Paul Rudovsky to tell us the best golf architect who attended MIT.

Paul will have to determine whether two schools can claim credit for the same guy.

Regarding your first line above...it was another one of those freshmen interlopers  ;D

And do not try to denigrate MIT's involvement in golf as I would cite the following:

--The founder of Titleist his close fiend who came up with the idea to X-ray all golf balls at the end of the production line as part of quality control were both MIT alums
--USGA President's who were MIT alums:  William Fownes 1926-27, Will Nicholson Jr 1980-81
--USGA National Champions who were MIT alums: William Fownes, US Amateur 1910; Kim Dinh, Women's Mid-Amateur, 2023

Mike Worth

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2023, 01:42:45 PM »
I see that North Palm Municipal, formerly known as the Palm Beach Winter Club, is not written about in the book.

So I’ll ask what’s on my mind. Which is —how much of Raynor’s original work exists in the present course?

North Palm is about 3 miles from my house and I played it a few times a month while I’m at my FL home.

I think this was Raynor’s final course as he died in West Palm in Jan 1926

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2023, 05:52:39 AM »
Still waiting for my copy to arrive here in the UK.

Zero email order confirmations received from Back Nine Press, but the money is gone from my account, so taking delivery on good faith.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2023, 06:59:10 AM »
Still waiting for my copy to arrive here in the UK.

Zero email order confirmations received from Back Nine Press, but the money is gone from my account, so taking delivery on good faith.

Robin, I received numerous emails along the way. I'd check with them.

backninepress@gmail.com
St. John of the Cross

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2023, 07:34:38 AM »
Thanks for the advice Tommy. I will email them now.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

Jeff Schley

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2023, 07:44:11 AM »
I received an email confirmation right after the order. I did the signed copies of a couple, if offered I always prefer that. Books are much more intimate than eversions so a signature to me is a nice bow on the present.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2023, 08:51:20 AM »
I received an email confirmation right after the order. I did the signed copies of a couple, if offered I always prefer that. Books are much more intimate than eversions so a signature to me is a nice bow on the present.

I bought a few of the signed copies as well. One for me and a couple for good friends of mine.
St. John of the Cross

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2023, 10:22:03 AM »
And naturally...the books arrived today!

First impressions are of stunning photography and lovely packaging. Will enjoy getting deep into it this weekend.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2023, 10:26:14 AM »
His middle name is Jagger?  Well, sha- doobee, I’ve been shattered.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Steve Lapper

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2023, 11:01:42 AM »
A wonderful book by all accounts. Great job by Jon Cavalier, Michael Wolf & James Sitar.

Just in time for an evening with a fine scotch whiskey, a good cuban cigar and a roaring fireplace.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2023, 03:49:32 PM »
For those in the know or have read the book, out of the 80 odd courses he was involved in, how many did he do with CBM and how many were finished off by Banks after his death ?

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2023, 04:56:21 PM »
His middle name is Jagger?  Well, sha- doobee, I’ve been shattered.

Go ahead…bite the big apple…

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2023, 05:19:39 PM »
My wife bought me a signed copy for Christmas. Looking forward to Santa!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2023, 12:12:13 AM »
@Niall C

Raynor was also the mentor of Charles Banks who completed many of Raynor's unfinished works after he died. Banks went on to a solo design career, creating approximately 15 courses.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back