News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Re: Poor Play and Rating
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2023, 02:53:37 PM »
I really endorse what Whitty had to say.
My fighting camels towel form Keith Hill GC of North Carolina attests to the fact that I don't select courses only for access.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2023, 04:34:41 PM »
"What did you think of the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2023, 06:43:28 PM »
If people lack humility, they let their ego determine their experience. That can translate to an improper rating.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2023, 08:25:37 PM »

Are you saying that you rate courses you like higher than ones you don’t like?

Ciao

As I understand your question the answer is an absolute yes...I think anyone considers the course they like  to be better than the courses they don't like.  But that is not the point I am trying to make.  My point is that I find that I play better on courses I like...because I am more interested in the round...my senses are more aware.  So I hav difficulty determining what is cause and what is then effect.  Good courses cause me to play better...I do NOT rate a course higher because I score better on it.  But if I like it I will play better because I am more attentive.  Note that there isa not always a direct correlation between quality of play and score...there are such things as good luck and bad luck that can affect scoring

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2023, 10:26:02 PM »
Tom suggests that a rater should play a course more than once in order to fairly evaluate it.  I must say I have never gotten the impression from any course that I was rating that the course would be receptive to my playing it more than once. I am not faulting the course as they have other considerations such as member play, etc., so I just appreciate the opportunity to play the course and hope that I can fairly evaluate it based upon that one time.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2023, 03:10:06 AM »
Tom suggests that a rater should play a course more than once in order to fairly evaluate it.  I must say I have never gotten the impression from any course that I was rating that the course would be receptive to my playing it more than once. I am not faulting the course as they have other considerations such as member play, etc., so I just appreciate the opportunity to play the course and hope that I can fairly evaluate it based upon that one time.

Why would a club say you can only play once?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tim Martin

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2023, 05:54:30 AM »

Ciao

Sean-Are you aware of private clubs telling course raters to come back for repeat play?

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2023, 06:45:18 AM »

Ciao

Sean-Are you aware of private clubs telling course raters to come back for repeat play?

No, but I am also not aware of a private club saying a rater isn’t welcome as a guest of a member or by paying the green fee if visitors are permitted.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2023, 08:47:29 AM »
If it was affirmatively the case that people tend to dock courses they've played poorly when it comes time to rate them, we probably wouldn't have had decades of ratings where course difficulty and ranking was so positively correlated, right?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2023, 05:39:07 PM »
If it was affirmatively the case that people tend to dock courses they've played poorly when it comes time to rate them, we probably wouldn't have had decades of ratings where course difficulty and ranking was so positively correlated, right?

The most obvious correlation seems to be perigee. Most of the new and interesting courses I see on these lists are at their respective new, minimalist golf resorts, which as I understand, tend to be less punishing (but I may be wrong about that).

There’s an argument that the newer, non-cannonical courses are what should guide this assessment, and I’d say that argument would lend itself to the proposition at hand.

That said, you’re argument is compelling if we don’t automatically conflate regular tournament locations and historic clubs with a sort of golf cannon.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back