News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A_Clay_Man

Behr's definition
« on: December 07, 2003, 03:00:41 PM »
Would Max Behr's definition of shot values be different than those posed on the other thread?

Off the top of my head I'd guess, yes. But I hope we get a few theories from those more familiar with his writings.

TEPaul

Re:Behr's definition
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 04:33:17 PM »
Behr had this to say about shot values;

"The tendency in games as opposed to sport, therefore, has been turned toward restriction of what were once unrestrained, unbounded and natural pastimes--they have been brought into form. And it would seem to be manifest that the arbitrary boundaries lay down the limits within which play must take place do not, in the premises, coexist with any idea of distinguishing between natural good and bad play, but are for the purpose of providing the most desirable surface limits wherein "game" skill may be developed and be most effective. Thus the conception of shot values as having anything to do with the origin or reason for natural values is erroneous. Their one object is to apportion space as to render play fair and equitable in the moral purview of the "game mind". It follows, therefore, that shot values are a reflection of what the hole and the "game mind" architect demands of the golfer and the relative reward or punishment his nursegirl man-made architectural features metes out for good and bad shots."
Max Behr, August 1926
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 04:46:49 PM by TEPaul »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 04:49:51 PM »
Thanx TP, Would you say his use of the word 'nursegirl' was his earliest slam on the modernists?

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 05:00:48 PM »
Adam:

No. The use of his description "nursegirl" followed his description of modernist bunkers as "Mrs Grundys" by about 3 1/2 years!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back