News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Wagner

Re: Business @Bandon Is Booming!
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2023, 09:36:41 AM »
I spent a month travelling Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand this year for the same amount that John spent for few days at Bandon Dunes. Yikes.

There is lots of great UK golf (made up of lesser known courses) for a more reasonable cost. For example, I would highly recommend Wales if on a budget.

We returned as a family to Bandon yet again this summer. Absolutely terrible experience. It felt like a frat party full of people who never hit a golf club (or the time slots we had) with 5-6 hour rounds, one time there were 4 groups on one tee box one time. Lotsa fun!

The kicker, though, was the drunk group of guys talking about my wife saying "I'd want to hit that" wihere the guy next to him said "I would love to do her" around my son. It basically ruined the trip as if the ultra slow rounds weren't enough.

The bright side is that my wife is a good looking lady and other people think the same.

I'm no longer a Bandon fan. Rather go to Vegas where at least we can hide from the drunk bachelor parties.

We won't be back.

It's unusual to have rounds at that pace.

On the other subject, you missed a great opportunity to teach a life lesson.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2023, 12:36:29 PM »
Golf used to be a haven of decorum and respect, places of relative peace and tranquility, places to get away from the hurly-burly and other less enamouring aspects of life and society. Alas not the case these days and it’s spreading. Very sad.
Atb
When the leaders of the game insist on a "growth" at all costs, sometimes they get fungus.(not referring to Bandon-hopefully the above was an isolated incident?)
I had breakfast with a gentleman the other day who was glowingly remarking on the stories he had heard from my travel companions of remote courses and rustic travel experiences and people we had encountered on our recent northern Scotland trip, and asked me what my favorite place had been.
Before I could reply, and barely before he could finish his query, his guest immediately interrupted to regale us with tales of his recent trip to a new ultra high end modern course in Ireland mostly populated by uber wealthy Americans where they had travelled daily via chopper to various other similar venues scattered around the country.
Later, the gentleman apoligized for his guest's actions and story, and I remarked that on the contrary, the world needs such ---traps and their patrons, to quarantine them, and keep them off the roads and away from the truly genuine and simple places.
Fair point Jeff. The tentacles of the less acceptable are however, sadly spreading with an element of uncouthness now pervading a once essentially polite pastime (and pervading society generally, and so likely the root of the problem).
Atb

Jake McCarty

Re: Business @Bandon Is Booming! New
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2023, 01:14:54 PM »

Well we did head over to Silvies for a few days afterwards and that was a nice welcome contrast.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 07:58:49 PM by Jake McCarty »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2023, 01:31:58 PM »
Good for Bandon, lamenting price surges can't do anything for supply / demand basics. They are successful and have a high demand, so prices go up. UK courses are a great experience, for it is an activity to do while enjoying tourism. Experiencing the culture, scenery, language, personality, charm, scary roads, "unique" foods, garbled Scottish and other joys we can't put a price on.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jason Connor

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2023, 01:44:31 PM »

Streamsong is easier, but the daylight is shorter during their peak season, so I think that it works out similarly.

That's something many people don't realize about Florida:

When our days are nice, our days are short.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back