News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Travelling With Clubs to Ireland
« on: October 06, 2023, 11:18:10 AM »
Heading to Ireland this summer for 3 rounds throughout the country.  I have heard various opinions about the safety of bringing clubs. Some horror stories about lost clubs or clubs destroyed.  I have a soft case with a metal protector stick in the middle. Anyone have opinions/suggestions about bringing clubs across the pond?

Rob Marshall

Re: Travelling With Clubs to Ireland
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 11:43:54 AM »
Heading to Ireland this summer for 3 rounds throughout the country.  I have heard various opinions about the safety of bringing clubs. Some horror stories about lost clubs or clubs destroyed.  I have a soft case with a metal protector stick in the middle. Anyone have opinions/suggestions about bringing clubs across the pond?

I used a carry bag in a club glove with stiff arm and had no issues.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 12:18:54 PM »
I've traveled from Boston to Dublin a number of times, have always used a soft travel case with the metal rod in it. I take off my driver head, wrap it in a sweatshirt and put that in the big pouch of my golf bag. But I have never had any issues. Having said that, since covid, oversized baggage claim in the Dublin airport is an absolute shitshow. The amount of unclaimed bags stacked up is insane, and it's enough to cause serious anxiety until you see your clubs delivered. Last time I was there was summer of 2022, so maybe that situation has improved more recently.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 12:48:20 PM by Dan_Callahan »

Ben Sims

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 12:32:11 PM »
Rick,

Some opinions on travel.

If you must connect, try to do so in places other than Heathrow. It’s a transfer bag nightmare. Frankfurt is really good I’m told, as long as you book with enough time. Likewise, if you connect in the states, I would be try and purchase flights with more than 75 minutes for connect. Under that and you run a higher risk of the fog and friction of the airline operation hosing you out of your clubs. I booked my recent trip through Ohare with 2.5 hours of sit time. No issues.

Last thing I’ll say, adjustable head drivers, woods, and hybrids are worth it. Not just for the adjustability for your swing, but more so for the safety of you sticks. I don’t know anyone that’s broken a shaft with the head detached. I know lots of people that have broken shafts with the head attached. Cheers and best of luck.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 12:39:23 PM »
I had a head snap off on a trip to Ireland in my Club Glove bad about ten years ago. I bought one os those stiff arms in the bag and have had no problems since.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Hoak

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 12:59:46 PM »
Number one rule of advice--Avoid Heathrow at all costs!

Ira Fishman

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2023, 01:13:01 PM »
If you are playing day of arrival or the day after, I suggest shipping ahead. Most courses and hotels are glad to hold them for you. We have even sent to B&Bs. It adds some cost, but buys lots of peace of mind.

Tal Oz

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2023, 03:41:40 PM »
As many people have mentioned, unscrew your driver and any woods that can be separated. Use a stiff arm.

The one bit that hasn't been mentioned yet, get an Apple AirTag and throw it in your golf bag.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2023, 08:52:21 PM »
As many people have mentioned, unscrew your driver and any woods that can be separated. Use a stiff arm.

The one bit that hasn't been mentioned yet, get an Apple AirTag and throw it in your golf bag.

I use the AirTag. They are great.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2023, 10:26:31 PM »

Do airbags help get your bags back quicker when lost?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Rob Marshall

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2023, 10:49:20 PM »

Do airbags help get your bags back quicker when lost?

Ciao

Maybe not, but at least you know where they are.

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2023, 07:28:39 AM »
If you are playing day of arrival or the day after, I suggest shipping ahead. Most courses and hotels are glad to hold them for you. We have even sent to B&Bs. It adds some cost, but buys lots of peace of mind.

I've heard just as many horror stories with shipping clubs.
Anecdotally you may hear less because less people do it, but it certainly happens and the maze is equally confounding.
And while it's expensive, it's the lead time required to be without them before you go that is the most off putting to me.
Kind've defeats the purporse of having your clubs there if you can't have them to prepare(I got crazy quotes like a week to 10 days before) during the pandemic, though perhaps it's better now.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ira Fishman

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2023, 09:17:14 AM »

I've heard just as many horror stories with shipping clubs.
Anecdotally you may hear less because less people do it, but it certainly happens and the maze is equally confounding.
And while it's expensive, it's the lead time required to be without them before you go that is the most off putting to me.
Kind've defeats the purporse of having your clubs there if you can't have them to prepare(I got crazy quotes like a week to 10 days before) during the pandemic, though perhaps it's better now.

Jeff,

I can speak only from personal experience. We have used Ship Sticks several times in the US and internationally, and we have had only good success (luck?). As for not having my clubs for a few days, no amount of preparation is going to make much difference for my game (unlike for yours) so I am content to use an extra set in the interim.

Ira

Lance Rieber

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2023, 10:14:17 AM »
Jumping in on this one. Taking 7 guys to Scotland next year. Boise to Chicago,Chicago to Edinburgh. Was thinking of ship sticks there, taking them on the plane home. Only one connection, but still worried about not having  them after the nightmares at some of the airports last couple of years. I’ve never used ship sticks, others in group have domestically. Any trouble with going international with them?  I know it’s going to take them out of my hands about 10 days prior to leaving, but I don’t mind that

Daryl David

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2023, 10:45:58 PM »
Jumping in on this one. Taking 7 guys to Scotland next year. Boise to Chicago,Chicago to Edinburgh. Was thinking of ship sticks there, taking them on the plane home. Only one connection, but still worried about not having  them after the nightmares at some of the airports last couple of years. I’ve never used ship sticks, others in group have domestically. Any trouble with going international with them?  I know it’s going to take them out of my hands about 10 days prior to leaving, but I don’t mind that

If you don’t mind shipping early, then it’s a no brainer. Ship them to your hotel or to the club you are playing first. You will lose no sleep. I remember a few years ago as we waited for the guys in my group’s clubs at Glasgow. The carousel turned and turned, then stopped. They all went to the baggage clerk to fill out their lost baggage forms as I thought about my clubs sitting safe and sound at Western Gailes. It was 4 rounds before anyone had their own sticks. Plus one guy made the mistake of packing his underwear in his golf bag. That got ugly.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back