News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

OKC?
« on: September 21, 2023, 09:06:17 PM »
Looking like I may have to make a trip to Oklahoma City in the next couple of months. I can't say I know much of anything on the golf scene there and curious what folks here would recommend I check out if I have time to play a round or two?

H.P.S.

Matt Schoolfield

Re: OKC?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 11:08:29 PM »
That’s Perry Maxwell country. That’s where I’d start looking. Perhaps OU GC? It’s apparently semi-private.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Ken Moum

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 06:24:27 AM »
Looking like I may have to make a trip to Oklahoma City in the next couple of months. I can't say I know much of anything on the golf scene there and curious what folks here would recommend I check out if I have time to play a round or two?

It's a hour away, and the unaccompanied guest fee is a ridiculous $500, but Karsten Creek  is a pretty amazing golf course.  It's Fazio times two (or perhaps squared). They really don't want a lot of play.  I was told it opened at $75, but got too much play, so they doubled it.  And then doubled it again.  The last time I was there it was "only" $325.

Lakeside, the Labron Harris course where the team used to play is $30 on weekends.  ;D

I've walked it a few dozen times as a volunteer at three NCAA Championships, and several Ping Karsten AJGA events, which earned a free round.  The play window is pretty tight so I've only played it twice.

Everything about the place is huge, except the clubhouse.  Long (7400 yards), huge tees, huge greens, pretty wide in places, but absolutely dead if you miss a fair by much.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

astavrides

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 08:10:13 AM »
When I checked last year, Jimmie Austin, the OU course, had only 4 times per day for outside play. Pretty tough to get on. I wasn't able to.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 10:17:15 AM »
Dornick Hills is an hour and a half away, it has a couple of holes you'll never see anywhere else, and they will likely be very accommodating.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 10:56:55 AM »
When I checked last year, Jimmie Austin, the OU course, had only 4 times per day for outside play. Pretty tough to get on. I wasn't able to.

How much Maxwell is left at Jimmie Austin? Is the course interesting?
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 10:58:04 AM »
Dornick Hills is an hour and a half away, it has a couple of holes you'll never see anywhere else, and they will likely be very accommodating.

Yes! I saw that. If I go on a day-trip it might be tight to make that drive. But if I spend more time I'll try to see it.
H.P.S.

Chris Clouser

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2023, 01:55:40 PM »
Oklahoma City Golf & Country Club is excellent if you can get access.  Restoration by Tripp Davis was well done. 

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 02:46:54 PM »

Interesting. When I was there it was as public as could be; sometimes it would be hard for us to get on the course. But it's a better golf course now.

Greg Clark

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2023, 08:30:00 PM »
Oklahoma City Golf & Country Club and Oak Tree National.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 09:53:25 PM »

How much Maxwell is left at Jimmie Austin? Is the course interesting?

Zero Maxwell, but I think it's a pretty good course now. Rated 6th in the state by Golf Digest, #2 public in state by Golfweek.

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2023, 10:50:53 PM »
I35 is a very busy interstate with NAFTA trucks. Doesn’t take much to jam it up. So if your time is tight stay closer to OKC.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2023, 09:55:33 AM »
I35 is a very busy interstate with NAFTA trucks. Doesn’t take much to jam it up. So if your time is tight stay closer to OKC.

Thanks for the tip, Mike.
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2023, 03:36:26 PM »
Dornick Hills.  I know a guy.  8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back