News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Big golf to pickle-golf? Likelihood?
« on: January 06, 2024, 03:13:35 PM »
The new year seems a nice time to mention something that I’ve been pondering for a while, ….. whether a golfing equivalent of pickleball is likely to occur at some stage?
Less space, less time, less expense?
Some other sports (pastimes?) have gone down the short/smaller/faster route like 20-20 cricket, growth of 7’s rugby etc.
Thoughts?
Atb

Matt Schoolfield

Re: Big golf to pickle-golf? Likelihood?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 03:32:44 PM »
I see the rise of pickleball and similar downsized sports as merely the result of the abnormally large boomer generation aging out of standard athletic activity. I would include changes in US health statistics in that calculation as well. Golf seems to be mostly exempt from all this though. However, I would expect new courses and renovations to lean toward more accessible greens with fewer forced carries, shorter lengths, 'silver tees', etc., and I think we've been seeing all these things become more common over the same demographic timeline that I would expect. I should be clear don't mean anything pejorative by any of this. I just very much subscribe to the demographics-is-destiny school of thought, especially when it comes to cultural trends, so we should first look to demographics whenever we're trying to answer a question like this.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 03:36:07 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 03:39:23 PM »
The new year seems a nice time to mention something that I’ve been pondering for a while, ….. whether a golfing equivalent of pickleball is likely to occur at some stage?
Some other sports (pastimes?) have gone down the short/smaller/faster route like 20-20 cricket, growth of 7’s rugby etc.
Thoughts?
Atb

Like pitch n putt?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 05:08:15 PM »
Thoughts?
Atb

Like pitch n putt?

Or like the Nicklaus Cayman ball/ short course idea?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 05:09:48 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 05:17:13 PM »
This is already happening, at least in the U.S. "Short"/par-3 courses, along with elaborate putting green courses, are becoming ubiquitous with many of the new golf course developments/renovations here.

FYI, I doubt whether the rise of pickleball has much to do with it taking less space, less expense or less time. The skill needed to play pickleball at a level to derive some enjoyment/satisfaction from the game is WAY less than what is required to do the same with tennis. That is why the game has gotten so popular. It is VERY easy to play.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 09:54:14 AM by David_Tepper »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 07:42:47 PM »
Park Golf in Japan
MiniGolf/PuttPutt in the USA

We are ahead of the curve.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 09:29:31 AM »
Isnt that what Top Golf has kinda done?

I heard that TG was responsible for (like) 10% of golf in 2022.
Brings in a new crowd, let's them stuff their faces with nachos and Mich Ultras...

What a country.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 10:17:08 AM »
I feel like the Cayman ball would be the closest analogue to pickleball. That said, Matt's point is well taken and forward tees and golf carts and such things make golf on the current courses a perfectly enjoyable time for the elderly. So a pickleball analogue isn't really needed, at least not for the same reason.

But maybe a limited-flight ball (and courses) still would make sense for other reasons? I don't know. Pitch and putt exists on a very small level, but I could imagine using a limited-flight ball like the Cayman ball to turn a par-3 course into a full-length course where you could hit all your clubs. Strictly speaking, the Cayman ball itself wouldn't quite do the job because, I believe, off the driver it would go about 180 yards. But something like that could work.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 10:32:41 AM »
Pickleball makes buying a boat seem like a good idea. The injuries are real and humiliating.

Keith Williams

Jeff Schley

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2024, 11:09:07 AM »
Pickleball makes buying a boat seem like a good idea. The injuries are real and humiliating.
True... pretty soon golf boards are going to have to start requiring knee braces for all players like a helmet for a motorcycle.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2024, 12:45:46 PM »
What about this from TW himself:

https://popstroke.com/pts/#

Buck Wolter

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2024, 12:52:50 PM »
Simulator golf seems the easiest answer -- I think the short game aspects need to be improved but technology improvements seem imminent. I would assume it will start in Asia and move this way.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

David Kelly

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2024, 07:03:27 PM »
I remember that several years ago on this forum some people were touting the practice of replacing the standard golf cup/hole with bucket-sized holes in order to speed up play. 
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2024, 07:52:19 PM »
I’m doing a renovation of property that has an 18-hole privately owned public access course and a nine hole par three course.  We are currently upgrading the practice area as well (a two-ended driving range).  We will be expanding the nine hole par three course to 12-15 holes and as part of that I suggested to the owner we consider a Himalayas style putting course.  The owner liked the idea but said they unfortunately don’t make any money.  He asked about us considering a PopStroke course instead.  Not sure where we’re going to go with that, but that might be the direction.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2024, 07:55:41 PM »
And by the way, Pickleball is not just for elders anymore.  It will be a high school and college sport in a few years as it is rapidly gaining popularity with all ages.  If you play it at a high level of doubles and especially singles it is as good or better a workout as tennis.

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2024, 08:32:51 PM »
Speaking of short courses, there is an article in the new issue of LINKS magazine titled "Selling Short." It begins:

What's green, fun as well as challenging, and fits in just a couple of acres? The new breed of short courses, which are popping up in top golf communities nationwide.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back