News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

Chris Pike

Re:Yikes! A Trump Major...!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 03:12:45 PM »
It will be the greatest major tournament played on the greatest course this world has ever seen!   ;D
"Golf is a game in which you yell Fore, shoot six and write down five."  -Paul Harvey

Alex_Wyatt

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 03:21:09 PM »
Most magazine and newspaper articles are assisted in their preparation by p.r. agencies.  Anyboy see a little of that here? If we ignore it, maybe it will just go away.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 03:36:08 PM »
Most magazine and newspaper articles are assisted in their preparation by p.r. agencies.  Anyboy see a little of that here? If we ignore it, maybe it will just go away.

If Trump´s p.r. agency wrote much of that article, he is going to fire them.   Makes the course sound like Trump himself -- not a very rousing endorsement, I would say.  

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 03:53:15 PM »
Please let us keep the last small amount of dignity as lovers of the game. Nothing named Trump should ever be a part of a Major. John Tiger Bernhardt

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 04:02:47 PM »
If Herb Kohler had a bizarre hairdo, a tacky TV show and  high-profile marriages to bimbos, would it adversely affect your opinion of Whistling Straits?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 04:13:44 PM »
See Trump National #2 thread. The Donald is trying to rezone land on the property to build another course. Parking and tents for a major?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 04:18:30 PM »
Herb did not name the course after himself. However the company and about everything else is. It seems he knew where to draw the line.

johnk

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 05:00:53 PM »
redanman,

I'm not sure if you mean "hack" as a writer or golfer, but Van Sickle is basically a scratch golfer.  He's one of the better golfers of the people that write about the game.

As a writer, I'll leave that to you...

Steve Lapper

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 05:04:29 PM »
Biggest BS Factor
+
Biggest PR-Orchestrated Media Ass-Kissing
+
Truth-challenged 2004 Profile by Golf (Whore) Magazine
=
 Glowing ridiculous ranking by same Magazine
=
Inordinate amount of Major Hyperbole crap

Anyone out there want to refute the math?????

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 05:33:47 PM »
 :'(
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 05:46:42 PM »
Steve:

I'll question your math a bit.  The kiss-ass Donald Trump profile was in GOLF DIGEST, or at least the one I'm thinking of.  (Maybe GOLF had one, too, while I wasn't looking.)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 06:55:54 PM »
Biggest BS Factor
+
Biggest PR-Orchestrated Media Ass-Kissing
+
Truth-challenged 2004 Profile by Golf (Whore) Magazine
=
 Glowing ridiculous ranking by same Magazine
=
Inordinate amount of Major Hyperbole crap

Anyone out there want to refute the math?????

Steve, if you are talking about the SI article, I see it differently.  This was not an ass-kisser.  The underlying message is that Trump is trying to buy/bluster his way to golf course fame, but the course will never measure up to the greats.  What´s more, Trump will never understand why.  Trump came over poorly in this one, at least to me.  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 06:57:36 PM by Jim Nugent »

Steve Lapper

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 09:31:44 PM »
Steve:

I'll question your math a bit.  The kiss-ass Donald Trump profile was in GOLF DIGEST, or at least the one I'm thinking of.  (Maybe GOLF had one, too, while I wasn't looking.)

Tom,

The magazine was indeed Golf Magazine (back when Kevin Cook was it's short-lived editor). The issue was one of the fall months of last year. They then titled it as " Trump National in Bedminster, NJ an imposing Tom Fazio design that early reviews are calling one of the best new tracks of the millennium."

Perhaps one appeared in Golf Digest as well, but given both of those rag's proclivity for highlightling what is usually most wrong about the game, confusing the source is hardly much of a mistake! ::)

Jim Nugent,

The SI article is just one more piece of evidence , skewed which ever way you want, of the old PT Barnum(?) line, "There is no such thing as bad publicity." Trump & his boy toy Ashley most definitely are press brownosers.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back