News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Hollerbach

Par 4 converted to a Par 3?
« on: September 25, 2023, 01:58:25 PM »
There are ample examples of courses converting par 5's to par 4's, both temporarily for tournament play and permanently for all play, but I can't recall an example of a par 4 ever being converted to a par 3. There have been times when a hole has been replaced or modified to make a subsequent change in par, but has the change in par occurred with little to no change to the hole?

Jason Thurman

Re: Par 4 converted to a Par 3?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 05:01:31 PM »
I am 95% sure that Clovernook's closing hole was originally a par 3 on the card. It would've been an absolute bear in the 1920s. It plays around 280 yards today from the members' tees and I'm not sure how many of the current tees are original, but it would've been at least 250 yards when first opened.

I guess that's sorta the opposite of what you're looking for, though.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 05:15:36 PM »
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the famous Redan at North Berwick had been a par four first.
AKA Mayday

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 07:38:50 PM »
The second hole at The Country Club (aka Brookline) was a 300-yard par-4 played as a 200-yard par-3 when the invented the Composite course for the 1963 US Open.  I’m not sure if it’s still a par 4 for the members.

The first at Walton Heath was a 260-yard par-4 and is now 230 par 3.

The opening hole at Victoria in Australia has gone from a 4 to a 3 and maybe back again?

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 09:21:04 PM »
   I’m pretty sure St. David’s in Wayne, PA changed the 17th hole from a par 4 to a par 3 by creating a new green.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 10:18:01 PM »
The 18th hole at Niagara Falls Country Club was designed as a short four by Tillinghast. The location of the original tee, some 80-90 yards behind the current tee, is now the corner of a busy intersection. Lord knows how original any of it is...RTJ and Cornish, along with Robert Moses, impacted the course beyond words.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matthew Rose

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 11:22:23 PM »
#1 at Victoria is a par four, but they have played it as a par three in the Australian Open. I attended one there about 20 years ago where this was the case.

233 metres.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 07:52:07 AM »
18 at Royal Burgess in Edinburgh is listed as a 244-yard par 4 from the Medal tee, but a 232-yard par 3 from the Member tee, which is very strange to me and tells me it probably was an across-the-board 4 in the past.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 09:02:51 AM »
The second hole at The Country Club (aka Brookline) was a 300-yard par-4 played as a 200-yard par-3 when the invented the Composite course for the 1963 US Open.  I’m not sure if it’s still a par 4 for the members.

The first at Walton Heath was a 260-yard par-4 and is now 230 par 3.

The opening hole at Victoria in Australia has gone from a 4 to a 3 and maybe back again?

They played the 1st at Victoria as a par 3 in the 2002 Australian Open - from a new tee forward and right of the regular tee.
(It's now the back tee at the 10th hole)
We rebuilt the green to ensure it'd never be played as a par 3 again. It's a 260y par 4. Just an easy 4 iron for Rory.

Doug Bolls

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2023, 09:53:10 AM »
Luna Vista, a muni in Dallas, changed a par 4 into a 3 and a par 3 into a 4.

Hole #3 used to be a par 4 dogleg right with certain trouble at the dogleg.  Lots of high grass, shrubs and scattered trees.  Put your ball in there and it was lost.  So, they shortened it up and now you hit up to a plateaued green about 160 yards long and 50 yards left of the old dogleg.

Hole 4 used to be a straight-away par 3 with a pond right-front of the green.  Uphill approach into the green with a bunker between the pond and green.  They just moved the tees back closer the the #3 green so now it's a par 4.

Since there is no reason to hit into the trouble and try to carry the dogleg, it probably speeds up play.     

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back