News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Lost Rail Golf Club , Gretna, NE
« on: September 05, 2023, 04:13:42 PM »
(LINCOLN, Neb.) – Golf course developer and construction company Landscapes Unlimited’s Lost Rail Golf Club in Gretna, Neb. was voted “Clubhouse of the Year” by Golf Inc. Magazine.
It is the second award the year-old Lost Rail received from the magazine.  In June, it was named one of the world’s top three new private clubs.Read more with pics:https://www.firstcallgolf.com/industry-news/release/2023-09-02/landscapes-unlimiteds-lost-rail-golf-club-named-golf-inc-magazine-clubhouse-of-the-year
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 01:39:44 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Carl Johnson

Re: Lost Rail Golf Club Is ‘Clubhouse of the Year’
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 10:46:50 PM »
I was drawn to this because my club is looking into building a new clubhouse.  My comment on Lost Rail: Whatever turns you on.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 11:03:02 PM »
I think LR's clubhouse would turn most on. It is not large, but it is tastefully done and impeccably furnished.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bill Gayne

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 04:05:06 AM »
I know this is way OT. I look at the pictures of the bar area and the bar itself is jammed with stools. I would prefer a bar without stools for a grill room such as the one pictured. I think a standing only bar with tables create greater interaction in the room and better flow. Other thoughts or preferences on bars with or without stools?

The clubhouse looks beautiful.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 01:15:18 PM »
I think LR's clubhouse would turn most on. It is not large, but it is tastefully done and impeccably furnished.

My point about "whatever turns you on" is that different people have different tastes, naturally.  What will appeal to some will not appeal to others.  That's what makes trying to identify a "clubhouse of the year" rather meaningless, in my opinion. (Sort of like trying to rank golf courses.)  Sure, plenty of folks are going to go for the Split Rail style, and others not.  As I mentioned my club is trying to figure out whether and how to build a new clubhouse.  The current one is over 60 years old and out of date in many respects.  Systems are failing.  Do we continue to repair as needed, or start fresh?  An assessment will be required if a new clubhouse is built, and that requires approval of over one-half our members (251 our of 500).  Our leadership has been working for over a year on something to propose to the membership, and as you can imagine, it's been an arduous job, trying to take all points of view into account.  Eventually they'll come up with a plan that they'll hope satisfies at least a majority.  One thing for sure -- they won't please everyone -- that's not possible.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 01:52:24 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Lost Rail Golf Club ,
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 01:38:43 PM »
How this golf course architect nailed it on his first solo design:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/scott-hoffman-lost-rail
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 01:40:19 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

David_Tepper

Re: Lost Rail Golf Club , Gretna, NE
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 03:33:07 PM »
At times I find golf's obsession with living in the past, at least when it comes to clubhouses, to be a little bit curious. Why, in the 2020's, is praising a new building designed to look like it was built in the 1920's considered to be a good thing? 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 05:00:37 PM »
At times I find golf's obsession with living in the past, at least when it comes to clubhouses, to be a little bit curious. Why, in the 2020's, is praising a new building designed to look like it was built in the 1920's considered to be a good thing?

I read that as well about the 1920s look. All I can say is that it looked very contemporary to me.

The golf is very good. Exciting shots are sprinkled around the course, and the rolling terrain is perfect for golf. The club reminds me of Four Streams, where I was a member for 15 years.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2024, 08:25:08 PM »
What’s wrong with it?
Tim Weiman

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2024, 09:06:20 PM »
Tim -

I realize golf is a game wrapped up in traditions. I am probably less concerned with some of those traditions than others.   

I am not terribly concerned with building design either, but I do sometimes observe and notice what buildings look like. It just strikes me odd that here we are, well into the 21 century, where a newly built golf clubhouse is designed to look like it was built 100 years ago and is praised for that design. Why not go for a more modern, contemporary look?

I have not seen the building in person, so I could be way off base. I made my comment based on reading the firstcallgolf.com article praising the "retro" design of the clubhouse. 

DT

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2024, 09:20:31 PM »
Landscapes Unlimited -- Lost Rail Golf Club (Gretna, Neb.) Clubhouse Image No. 3.jpeg

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2024, 09:21:43 PM »
Landscapes Unlimited -- Lost Rail Golf Club (Gretna, Neb.) Clubhouse Image No. 9.jpeg

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2024, 09:22:36 PM »
Landscapes Unlimited -- Lost Rail Golf Club (Gretna, Neb.) Clubhouse Image No. 4.jpeg

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2024, 09:24:45 PM »
I would classify the club house as " Traditional." This is not a monument to excess. I believe the membership is about 200.

Given Lost Rail’s pure-golf focus, there are no tennis and pickleball courts, swimming pool, fitness center, card room or banquet room.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 09:31:57 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2024, 10:00:42 AM »

Given Lost Rail’s pure-golf focus, there are no tennis and pickleball courts, swimming pool, fitness center, card room or banquet room.
And they call that a "golf club"?????   ??? ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Blake Conant

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2024, 01:56:57 PM »
The golf is very good. Exciting shots are sprinkled around the course, and the rolling terrain is perfect for golf. The club reminds me of Four Streams, where I was a member for 15 years.

The golf is quite good, although I wouldn't call the terrain perfect. I like the routing quite a bit (despite the lack of walkability) and appreciate it more because of how steep the land is. Packing this big of a golf course along with clubhouse, parking, range, maintenance, etc. onto a quarter of land (160ac square) isn't easy when you have 100+ feet of elevation change.

Holes of note: 2(?), 5, 8, 9(?),10(!), 12, 15, 16.

Good routing with a nice bunker composition on a relatively tight, steep property. Par 3s are the standout, particularly the 8th which incorporates the old rail line into the back of the green.  The 10th is another beauty. A short 4 with at least three viable options off the tee. The tee shots look more demanding than they really are. A fun members course in that regard. Some tee shots are too tight and steep and lack the necessary width ending up kicking too many balls into the rough (1, 17) or collecting them all in one spot (2). Some greens (3, 9, 13, 17) are too severe for as fast as they play. Part of that may be too aggressive of green speeds, but there's also a lack of counterslope that I think is needed for the slopes they have. Overall, a very solid, albeit penal, golf course.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 04:13:34 PM by Blake Conant »

Joe Zucker

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2024, 03:21:07 PM »
Blake,

Did you ever have the opportunity to play Wolf Run in Indiana?  From some of the pictures on the club's site and your comment on the course being solid, yet penal, it reminds me a bit of Wolf Run.  I enjoyed my rounds there at the Midwest Mashie years ago and thought it was interesting and challenging.  However, it probably wasn't my ideal course for every day play.  I'm curious if there are any similarities.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2024, 01:20:18 PM »
Blake,

Did you ever have the opportunity to play Wolf Run in Indiana?  From some of the pictures on the club's site and your comment on the course being solid, yet penal, it reminds me a bit of Wolf Run.  I enjoyed my rounds there at the Midwest Mashie years ago and thought it was interesting and challenging.  However, it probably wasn't my ideal course for every day play.  I'm curious if there are any similarities.

Quite similar. I really liked playing Wolf Run, but it was a tough golf course.

Wolf Run
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Joe Perches

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2024, 03:47:13 PM »
The golf is quite good, although I wouldn't call the terrain perfect.
What terrain is?
I like the routing quite a bit (despite the lack of walkability) and appreciate it more because of how steep the land is. Packing this big of a golf course along with clubhouse, parking, range, maintenance, etc. onto a quarter of land (160ac square) isn't easy when you have 100+ feet of elevation change.
It's quite a nice layout and course, one where I'd be delighted to be a member even though it's quite far from me.I think it's quite walkable. I truly considered joining.  It's just too far from me and I'd unfortunately just not go often enough.Good folk, good course.  Thanks Dirk for the opportunity.

Michael Morandi

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2024, 10:06:30 PM »
Lost Rail might have a great club house but I can’t tell you how many top rated clubs were better when they had a few benches, some coolers and maybe a tent behind 18.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2024, 10:17:35 PM »
Lost Rail might have a great club house but I can’t tell you how many top rated clubs were better when they had a few benches, some coolers and maybe a tent behind 18.

I hear that sentiment periodically, but I just don't understand it, and I don't know one club where that is true.
St. John of the Cross

Michael Morandi

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2024, 10:57:39 PM »

I hear that sentiment periodically, but I just don't understand it, and I don't know one club where that is true.

Did you play Friars Head when it first opened? Pure golf. Sublime.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 10:59:42 PM by Michael Morandi »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2024, 11:21:23 PM »

I played it last summer and had dinner on that little gazebo. Pretty nice.
St. John of the Cross

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2024, 01:27:20 AM »

Not sure how relevant that is. Members were well aware of the plans for the clubhouse.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back