News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Wild Atlantic Dunes #8 - Strategic? Controversial? Good? Bad? Ugly?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2023, 04:50:16 PM »
I find it interesting that no one has noted the difference between the 50 yard approach if you successfully take on the quirky blind second shot vs. the 134 yard approach if you try to traverse the quirky canyon.

Enough quirk for you there Dai?
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas Dai

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2023, 05:09:09 PM »
Quirk is good. The more the better! :)
By the way in my response above I did address some aspects of the approach shot to the green although I’m not sure the yardages you highlight are appropriate given my usual length of shot!! ….” even a successful shot over the saddle would likely leave a very awkward and still long semi-blind approach shot probably from a downslope into the green over a small rough covered mound and likely landing on a down slope. So not very enticing especially into the wind.”
Atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2023, 05:58:07 PM »
I find it interesting that no one has noted the difference between the 50 yard approach if you successfully take on the quirky blind second shot vs. the 134 yard approach if you try to traverse the quirky canyon.

Enough quirk for you there Dai?
 ;)

In general, my feeling is that outcome is around the right balance, in that the blind shot is still the more risky, hence it should leave you with the shorter shot if successfully executed. The three fronting bunkers - although one has been erroneously filled in - are placed for the shot coming over the saddle whilst providing an aesthetic for the shot coming in from the valley.

In an ideal world, the fairway of the safer, valley route would be 10 yards wider.

What is interesting about the hole is that it is a genuine three-shotter regardless. No one is going for that green in two.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 06:01:41 PM by Ally Mcintosh »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2023, 07:04:46 PM »
Hate to break it to you Ally, but Joe T on this website claims to have reached it in two.  :o
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2023, 10:58:41 PM »
Again, I really like the hole.  Love the visual on the tee and don't think I've missed the fairway.  I also like the heroic feel of taking on the dune and I'm always going over it.  Played 4 rounds last month on Wild Atlantic and went for the green each time (I don't play the back tees).  I did end up with one lost ball on a shot I thought was perfect.  Hit the green once, over once and greenside bunker once.  Even if laying up I still think over the mound with something like a 9 iron is the play for me.  Going at the turn is a harder shot.  I don't think I'd like the hole has much if I hit a good drive and then had to play to the corner with my second shot.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2023, 11:15:23 PM »
I concur Joe. Up and over for me.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2023, 04:10:18 PM »
Just a tidbit about the hole's infamy.

Jerry Maguire, Chairman at Carne says it is the most talked about hole at Carne, and that it is called " the snake."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back