News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Question on FW bunkers in America
« on: August 30, 2023, 04:46:50 PM »
Why is it that the typical course in the U.S. has rough around FW bunkers? Is there a reason why the fairway cut doesn't run right up into the bunker?
I noticed it again this weekend watching a bit of the USGA Senior Wonen's Open at Waverly. It looked like all the fairway bunkers had rough around the entire bunker.
Just curious. Thanks.

Tom_Doak

Re: Question on FW bunkers in America
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 05:09:59 PM »
Why is it that the typical course in the U.S. has rough around FW bunkers? Is there a reason why the fairway cut doesn't run right up into the bunker?
I noticed it again this weekend watching a bit of the USGA Senior Wonen's Open at Waverly. It looked like all the fairway bunkers had rough around the entire bunker.
Just curious. Thanks.

It's very hard to mow everything tight around the bunkers, especially here, where the soils aren't always sandy, and we tend to have a high lip around the bunker to keep the drainage from going down the faces.  They'd have to send out a separate mower to do this, and probably re-grade the entrance to the bunker to accommodate it.

Cal Carlisle

Re: Question on FW bunkers in America
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 09:45:26 PM »

It's very hard to mow everything tight around the bunkers, especially here, where the soils aren't always sandy, and we tend to have a high lip around the bunker to keep the drainage from going down the faces.  They'd have to send out a separate mower to do this, and probably re-grade the entrance to the bunker to accommodate it.

I know the latest renovation at Scioto CC now has fairway running up to the bunker. It doesn't go all the way around it, but certainly collects tee and fairway shots. I know it's anecdotal, but is this a sign of things to come for those with the ability to pay for it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74siqhH_8hU

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back