News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DFarron

Some Thoughts on Golf
« on: August 21, 2023, 10:37:18 AM »
I watched almost none of the BMW championship this weekend but was fascinated with the US Am. Knew Cherry Hills was a great course but had forgotten how good it was. It was also thrilling to see how many people were at the finals.

Had the same feeling with the Women’s Am as well. Bel Air looked like a wonderful course and I enjoyed watching the intense competition.

I’ve read many times here that some of you have given up watching the pro game…for a while I couldn’t understand that, but now I do.

It seems that pro golf has become like every other sport…big money, gaudy and impersonal.

This past weekend I felt more like I was watching the game I love.

Kalen Braley

Re: Some Thoughts on Golf
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 10:51:52 AM »
DFarron,

I would typically agree with you most weeks but yesterdays finish at the BMW was must see TV with a bunch of big names coming down the stretch to win, combined with some grinding by those trying to ensure a top 30 spot

However, I don't dislike the PGATour because of its popularity and big money. Its the one dimensional nature of the game where its bomb and gouge on every hole, over and over and over.  We get robbed of potential moments like Corey Pavin's 4 wood at Shinnecock to win a US open, or players like Lee Trevino who weave their way to wins vs flat out over-powering it. In that respect, I enjoy watching the women tacking their way thru the course a lot more.

Ben Sims

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 11:03:42 AM »
I agree, I thought the Am was great. The weather was terrific and conditions were incredible. Both hosts crushed it.

PGA Tour is also returning to the front range next year and there is some medium buzz about it.

I wish we could have a major in the Denver area, but with the PGA now being in May and the US Open firmly entrenched on Father’s Day, that doesn’t exactly bode well. 

John Blain

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 11:16:16 AM »
I agree, I thought the Am was great. The weather was terrific and conditions were incredible. Both hosts crushed it.

PGA Tour is also returning to the front range next year and there is some medium buzz about it.

I wish we could have a major in the Denver area, but with the PGA now being in May and the US Open firmly entrenched on Father’s Day, that doesn’t exactly bode well.

Not sure what the US Open being on Father's Day weekend has to do with the event being held in Denver??

Steve Sayre

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 11:22:34 AM »
Agree, Kalen....I thought the BMW was a nice success for the Tour and CBS. I watched all day Sat. and Sun. (time-shifted, no ads) and enjoyed the seeing the excellent golf course, the "name" leaderboard, the drama surrounding squeezing into the Tour Championship (or not), the many amazing shots and a worthy winner.

I also thought Nance was in great form, Immelman fine, Knost amusing and Pepper did her usual great job.

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 11:22:43 AM »

Not sure what the US Open being on Father's Day weekend has to do with the event being held in Denver??

Denver in early June is no guarantee. It certainly wouldn’t have been this year. Late spring weather is very volatile and a May snow would be big time bad for preparation and perhaps conditioning. Add that to the fairly common summer thunderstorms and it’s sort of tough to plan for May and June tournament golf on the Front Range. Our most reliable conditions are easily mid July to Early Sept.

A good example is the US Girls Junior that was just held in July. In middle May I played the Blue Course at USAFA and it was pretty gnarly. By July is was spectacular. 

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 02:19:06 PM »
Went out this weekend and watched the am.  Am events are great with the much smaller crowds and the players walking within the spectators after every shot.  It's also nice being able to walk an empty course without ropes when not watching the actual play.  I like the exterior loop of the back 9 and think it had a lot of fun holes.  The course also provided multiple holes with options to hit irons, woods or drivers off the tee.  The rough looked brutal if they missed the fairway.

Now, I don't really agree that the game is that much different than the pro game.  My perspective is many of these guys are essentially pros.  Their game is nothing like mine and looks just like the pros.  Many have sponsorships and are using the high level am circuit as the minor leagues.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 02:34:00 PM »
Now, I don't really agree that the game is that much different than the pro game.  My perspective is many of these guys are essentially pros.  Their game is nothing like mine and looks just like the pros.  Many have sponsorships and are using the high level am circuit as the minor leagues.
I have to agree with that.  The high level amateur stuff, especially with the men is more of a Pre-pro competition.  They may as well just call it something like U21 and let them get paid.

The women's game since to be a little less so, or at least it used to be, but that is because many of the top players turn pro before they are college age.  Players like Nelly Korda, Brooke Henderson, Lydia Ko, Charley Hull, Minjee Lee, JY Ko, Lexi Thompson, etc turned pro as teenagers, and in some cases were winning pro tournaments at 18 or younger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back