News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

OT: FedEx Cup
« on: August 13, 2023, 03:42:59 PM »
Except for a favorite player, do any of you care about the play offs?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

Re: OT: FedEx Cup
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 03:56:06 PM »
They are payoffs.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 06:13:40 PM »
The constant mention of great riches feels so LIV.

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 07:50:51 PM »
No. I watch because it is 107 degrees. The four majors are what I care about.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 08:00:48 PM »
Pro golf & the big sponsors needed to creáte some bigger events at the end of the season to maintain the public interest.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 09:10:29 PM »
I will never understand why the Tour Championship and the FedEx Cup are determined by a net event.  It's just bizarre.

WW

William_G

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 12:17:11 AM »

no, the courses are not awesome and with huge corporate build outs and payouts
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 08:00:49 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 10:02:09 AM »
I wish the playoffs were at Great golf courses, that is the only drawback for me, otherwise, I enjoy watching these second of course to the majors.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 10:16:08 AM »
In all fairness, Olympia Fields is a great course. I hope they put Glover’s pants in the hall of fame.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2023, 12:52:14 AM »
I hope they put Glover’s pants in the hall of fame.

I have to say, that tickled my funny bone.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Anthony Butler

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2023, 05:50:12 PM »
In all fairness, Olympia Fields is a great course. I hope they put Glover’s pants in the hall of fame.

Swamp Ass...
Next!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2023, 09:01:23 PM »
Glover's pants, a new classic, should go viral
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2023, 06:13:04 PM »
It's hard not to have a great leaderboard.  This week's tournament is essentially "moving day" on a four-day binge. Lucas Glover is wearing darker colored slacks.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2023, 10:38:52 PM »
I care.
All sports have a play-off to end the season.  And I think the PGA Tour has done a good job in tweaking this one to make sense.
And I think Olympia Fields is a good championship course--maybe because the first professional golf tournament I ever saw as a young kid was Jerry Barber beating Don January there for the PGA Championship in 1961.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 10:53:40 PM by Jim Hoak »

Carl Johnson

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2023, 10:51:14 PM »
I really don't care about the FedEx Cup, who wins or the mechanics. It's just a gimmick, in my opinion.  To the extent I follow pro golf I focus on the individual tournaments, particularly the so-called majors.

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2023, 10:29:40 AM »
I really don't care about the FedEx Cup, who wins or the mechanics. It's just a gimmick, in my opinion.  To the extent I follow pro golf I focus on the individual tournaments, particularly the so-called majors.

So-called ?

Niall

William_G

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2023, 02:59:39 PM »
it's like its become stadium golf
The Open and US Open do this as well, not the Masters however

3 story structures to create an environment as if the course itself wasn't enough

are you not entertained?
It's all about the golf!

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2023, 03:57:56 PM »
I care.
All sports have a play-off to end the season.  And I think the PGA Tour has done a good job in tweaking this one to make sense.
And I think Olympia Fields is a good championship course--maybe because the first professional golf tournament I ever saw as a young kid was Jerry Barber beating Don January there for the PGA Championship in 1961.

The individual sports like tennis and golf have struggled to gain traction as something significant.  I had to look up about whether the WTA and ATP still have season ending events.  They do, but they receive little recognition despite throwing large sums of money for the few who qualify.  Tennis goes off the national stage after the U.S. Open.  If Fed EX were to disappear, the "season ending playoffs" would probably be radically altered.  They would probably throw out the handicap strokes players "earn."  They are playing only because of money, and when historical status is not on the line, for me it feels like an exihibition.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

peter_mcknight

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2023, 04:32:08 PM »
I do agree with Mr Shackelford that tennis does go off the national stage after the US Open.  However, to the players, there's still plenty to play for after the Open--there are two (2) 1000 series tournaments in Shanghai and Paris before the season ending event in Torino.  If you're a player, you simply can't afford to miss those 1000 series events for three specific reasons:  (a) the money's certainly pretty good, (b) as a player, you can't afford to earn zero points in a 1000 series event by not showing up and (c) by performing well, it absolutely will assist a player avoiding certain difficult, early round match-ups at the Australian Open in January.  By Djokovic missing Indian Wells and Miami, those results alone will preclude him from reaching no. 1 at year's end unless Alcaraz picks up a knock before the US Open.
The season ending tennis championship seems missing because it has moved from New York to London to Shanghai to Torino.

From what I understand about player contracts, for those around number ten in the world, these tournaments are vital in terms of what one could make off the court if finishing in the top ten at season's end.
In tennis, there was a reason why Jim Courier proposed his redistribution of the Grand Slam purse money to the earlier rounds.  If one's at one hundred in the world, you're barely scraping by at years' end.  And, one hundred doesn't guarantee one admittance into any 1000 series events, where the maximum admittance is ninety six.  With the advent of the 250, 500 and 1000 series, it rewarded those at the top and made it harder for those below than, say, seventy five in the world.  Before, the top guys had to participate in the traveling circus; now, not so much.  The top four, five can live with the Slams and the 1000 series events alone.

John Crowley

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2023, 05:05:12 PM »

No.
I care only about the four majors. But since Rory is playing, I’ll record it and watch selectively.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2023, 06:31:28 PM »
Someone asked this question when it began.  My answer is the same-no.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Daryl David

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2023, 09:18:36 PM »
It really doesn’t matter what we as individuals think. If FedEx is pleased with their investment, then they will continue whether we like or not. From all I’ve read, they are delighted.

Tim Martin

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2023, 10:20:36 AM »
The storyline that has kept me interested is Lucas Glover. Although he’s seven back of the leaders I’m hoping he has a solid finish and gets a Ryder Cup nod.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2023, 02:00:35 PM »
It really doesn’t matter what we as individuals think. If FedEx is pleased with their investment, then they will continue whether we like or not. From all I’ve read, they are delighted.

No one denies that, but if the fans don't care very much, then tell the announcers not to tell us where each player stands after every shot. It gets boring.
St. John of the Cross

Daryl David

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2023, 03:49:38 PM »

No one denies that, but if the fans don't care very much, then tell the announcers not to tell us where each player stands after every shot. It gets boring.

Agree. That would be nice. Won’t happen though because every time they tell us where each player is, they say and show the word FedEx.  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back