News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

OT - Women's Open @ Walton Heath On TV!
« on: August 10, 2023, 09:13:35 AM »
The AIG Women's Open at Walton Heath is on USA network for 7 hours a day Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Then for 5 hours on Sunday. A nice chance to get a good look at the course. The heather is in bloom.

And the Golf Channel is broadcasting the US Women's Am from Bel-Air. Spoiled for choice!

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2023/08/09/final-womens-major-of-the-year-aig-womens-open-headlines-live-golf-coverage-this-week-across-nbc-usa-network-peacock-golf-channel/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 09:34:09 AM by David_Tepper »

Matthew Rose

Re: OT - Women's Open @ Walton Heath On TV!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 12:53:04 PM »
Thanks, David. I've never seen Walton Heath on TV before.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 08:26:09 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen heather in person, but the stuff I saw on TV early this morning was gorgeous!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 09:07:55 PM »
Joe B. -

Nice video flyover of the purple heather in bloom on #9 at Golspie, a great golf hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dloNXIKgvII

DT

Daryl David

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 10:30:25 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen heather in person, but the stuff I saw on TV early this morning was gorgeous!

Gorgeous until you find your ball in it. It’s very nasty.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 01:25:39 AM »

Gorgeous until you find your ball in it. It’s very nasty.

Yes, it's horrible stuff. It takes a lot of effort to keep heather at a playable height. It's also essential to keep trees well away from play areas in heather.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 03:58:50 AM »
Heather doesn't like growing in strong shade so over time it tends to keep its distance from trees (tree roots taking the water doesn't help either). That's why heather generally tends to grow between the tree lines and the fairway and why tree removal as seen on many courses over the last decade or so aids its growth and recovery. It might not be the easiest thing to hit a golf ball out of but heather is good for ground nesting birds, provides a habitat for wee beasties and sheep are fond of nibbling it. And of course unlike trees you can see over it.
As for playing a shot from it the old adage of "If in doubt, chip it out" usually applies!

atb

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 09:41:35 AM »
Back to Walton Heath, I just heard on TV that they are playing 16 holes from the Old and 2 holes from the New.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 09:42:00 AM »
Morgan Pretzel talks to much and 90% of the "action" is people putting. 
LOCK HIM UP!!!

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2023, 10:20:45 AM »
"90% of the "action" is people putting."

Craig S. -

Are you sure about that? In the last 30 minutes the broadcast has shown 20 putts and 26 shots from off the green. Almost all of those were full swings.

DT 

Craig Sweet

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2023, 11:17:18 AM »
David, watching earlier this morning it was one putt after another with very few fairway shots....Right after I posted they showed four fairway shots in a row!  I couldn't get a "feel" for how the course looked from what I was watching.  In the fly over it does look fun!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2023, 11:32:29 AM »
What is your probability of finding your ball if you hit it into the heather in normal play when you don't have spotters.  Do you usually find it or is it very often a lost ball?

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2023, 11:33:57 AM »
Craig -

Beware of small sample size. ;)

Here is an 11-minute video flyover of the WH course for the Women's Open:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr2H9Za2BNY

DT 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2023, 01:24:36 PM »
What is your probability of finding your ball if you hit it into the heather in normal play when you don't have spotters.  Do you usually find it or is it very often a lost ball?
Surprisingly not usually that difficult, certainly easier than long grass. Hitting a ball out of it though, well that's a club twistingly different matter, coz the heather will grab and turn the clubhead. If in doubt, chip out, unless that is you are bloody strong and lucky!
atb

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2023, 01:30:56 PM »
I can usually recall all holes of a course after a single play.  That’s not the case with Walton Heath Old.  Odd, as it is a top 10 favorite of mine.  I can only reconcile those statements by concluding that the whole is better than the sum of the parts. Crossing the road after playing the rather pedestrian opener yields one of the most attractive panoramas in my experience.  The remaining seventeen holes are free of theatrics but without a single weak hole.  Bunkering is well placed, of reasonable scale and tends to sneak out into the fairways.  Greens are subtle but far from flat.  The sporadic groupings of trees rarely come into play but dramatically enhance the landscape. Firm fairways are often angled from the tee and have abundant width for the shorter hitter, narrowing for the long driver. The routing yields a seamless walk from start to finish. Generally the course accommodates all players while still suffering no fools.

Of the so-called championship courses I’ve been fortunate to play if limited to one for the rest of my days I’d choose Walton Heath Old.  It is ideal.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 01:33:27 PM by Mike Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

astavrides

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2023, 09:14:03 PM »
Morgan Pretzel talks to much and 90% of the "action" is people putting.

I DVR any golf I watch and fast forward thru putting.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2023, 10:19:29 PM »
Any reason why they are starting on #2?

I noticed #1 is a par 3 which is an odd thing but also kind of an isolated hole.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2023, 02:55:02 AM »

I noticed #1 is a par 3 which is an odd thing but also kind of an isolated hole.

It's not a great starting hole and is easy to avoid for championship play.

They often use New 12,13 & 18 in the composite course. I am told only two are used this time? Which two holes?

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 03:21:06 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2023, 03:25:33 AM »

They often use New 12,13 & 18 in the composite course. I am told only two are used this time? Which two holes?

Ciao

12 and 13 on New - the rest are the Old

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2023, 03:35:04 AM »

Ciao

I spose since all that dosh was spent on 18 green they better use it 😎.

Ciao

William_G

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2023, 05:17:46 PM »
Morgan Pressel talks too much

she is horrible, talks like a high schooler
no surprise as she never went to college LOL
It's all about the golf!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2023, 10:19:26 PM »
William....I've enjoyed Inkster at the Women's Am...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2023, 10:42:25 PM »
Comments on the course?

I give the club bonus points for having an artisans’ clubhouse across the parking lot.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

William_G

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2023, 12:00:58 AM »
William....I've enjoyed Inkster at the Women's Am...

yes!
It's all about the golf!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2023, 05:50:05 AM »

Ciao

I haven’t been watching so don’t know what other hole they drooped from The Old aside from the first? Guessing they perhaps bypass the third?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back