News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: No commentary and few fans at Bel Air
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2023, 12:02:22 PM »
I'm curious if Dr. Mack and George Thomas spent much time together and/or sharing notes?

A few of the holes/green sites like 2, 5, 7, 14, and 16 seem to have a fair bit of Mackenzie flavor to em, but it could just be based on the angles I'm afforded via TV.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2023, 05:04:56 PM »
I'm curious if Dr. Mack and George Thomas spent much time together and/or sharing notes?

A few of the holes/green sites like 2, 5, 7, 14, and 16 seem to have a fair bit of Mackenzie flavor to em, but it could just be based on the angles I'm afforded via TV.

They met only once, briefly, when MacKenzie visited the site of Riviera.  MacKenzie was apparently of the impression that he was going to be hired for some work there, so it was probably a strange day for all of them.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2023, 05:06:21 PM »
The pond in front of 3 was more artificial feeling than the one on 8. Does 9 still have a back tee across 8 green? Seems like it is gone now?

We left that tee on #9 -- Eddie Merrins insisted that it was important for the UCLA golf team.  And it wasn't in our way, so we left it.  I just choose never to think about it.

mike_beene

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2023, 07:53:38 PM »
If Eddie wanted it then glad you left it. He was always very nice!

William_G

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2023, 08:06:02 PM »
Bel Air is looking and playing great
well done to everyone and TD
It's all about the golf!

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2023, 10:10:55 PM »
   Rich Lerner seemed to imply that there were those (members, maybe?) who thought the course was set up too short. To paraphrase: “The course was set up at 6100 yards. 6300 may have been better.” It seemed the scoring was very low. He said the winner made only one bogey in her last 72 holes, and that was the par 5 14th in the finals when she hit her tee shot way up the hill on the right.
   I can understand setting the course up easy for stroke play qualifying, but not for the the best players in match play. It feels a bit condescending to the women, especially given the USGA’s reputation for challenging the men.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 10:33:06 PM by Jim_Coleman »

peter_mcknight

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2023, 12:35:51 PM »
I was one of 125-150 in attendance at Bel Air yesterday for the final.
When I arrived, save for the two guard house attendants and perhaps very few others, it felt incredibly empty.  With that said, however, there was essentially no promotion of the event locally.  In my opinion, there should have been more pomp and circumstance when we had the Open here in June.  But, until the Sunday before the Open, you would have never known we as a region were hosting it (unless you drove on Wilshire for the two weeks before the Open when they placed the banners on the lightposts).  As to the USWA, you read absolutely nothing about it in the local press, television and radio.  It was our first USWA in Los Angeles since 1930, so there should have been a bit more attention to it.

At the first tee, there were maybe forty total.  However, what an opening tee shot--get to see UCLA's northern campus, then towards Century City in the southeast.  However, one had to walk all the way down to no. 18 green site, then back uphill to no. 1 tee.  That wasn't much fun.

Mr Doak has it correct--getting rid of the unnecessary ponds on numbers three and eight certainly improved the quality of the course.  I almost had a tear in my eye seeing the much improved no. 3.  Seeing the pond there in 2004 for the USSA was a bit of a shock to the system.

The super and grounds staff had the place in immaculate shape--the players had nothing to complain about whatsoever about the course's conditioning.
I suppose I could live with Bel Air's version of the Baffling Brook on the back side.  Still, it has on off-putting vibe to it.

There's plenty of construction on site--they're nowhere close to completion.  The construction has closed the elevator running golfers from number nine to ten.  Needless to say, it was quite the uphill hike from nine to ten.
I would argue the hole locations, especially on the front, encouraged aggressive play and to have holes won with birdies.  Yes, it probably played a bit short, but it was a final match after all.  As a point of reference, at the 2009 USWO at SVCC, scorecard had it at 6740; the final round played at 6303.

For me, the match turned on the seventh--Schofill birdied to win, then on eight, Stone bogeyed from the middle of the fairway where Schofill (I believe) found her swing after missing both left and right through her tee shot on the seventh.
And, oh by the way, you can't find anymore of a tranquil location in the middle of the City than Bel-Air.  Can't wait to return in 2026 for the Curtis Cup.

I think the Mid-Amateur crowd will have a field day with it in 2030.  The first hole should play as a driver, 9 iron for most of them if it runs fast and firm.  They should hit 9 irons, wedges on just about most holes--1, 3, 7, 9, 11, 12, 17 and 18 come to mind.

George Pazin

Re: No commentary and few fans at Bel Air New
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2023, 03:42:15 PM »
Thanks for the thoughtful response, Peter.

mayday -

Indeed he did!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 06:33:16 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2023, 08:02:24 PM »
If Eddie wanted it then glad you left it. He was always very nice!

He wanted the ponds left on #3 and #8, too.  He knew the members who had put them in.  Can't win them all !

William_G

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2023, 10:26:18 PM »
sounds like Eddie was a Senator as well. LOL
It's all about the golf!

mike_beene

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2023, 11:08:58 PM »
Probably takes more political skill to keep a head job for that many years than to be a Senator. I had a great lesson from him years ago. I think he and John Wooden walked together for years.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back