News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Schoolfield

Charlie Goerges

Re: Crime Rings Trafficking Sand
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 04:10:08 PM »
I knew that sand had gone up multiples in price over the last several years, but I didn't know there was an illegal trade in it now. This is pretty crazy. I wonder how many courses have been capped in illegal sand?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 04:56:15 PM »
Oops, I just fixed the link to the article that was broken earlier. It's a deep dive, not just a short news blurb.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Bruce Katona

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 05:11:47 PM »
Here in the USA, this is rather unlikely - WHY?

If you're moving material around internally on a site you own - have at it!

But - In order to either import or export material to a construction site, there are effectively chain of custody documents that come with soil, sand, clay etc. showing where the material came from, where its going to and lab test results showing the chemical make-up of the material - Why?

1. Environmental Contamination

Taking contaminated material off your site and taking it to another site causes harm & damage to the property owner receiving it - resulting in litigation regarding who is cleaning up and remediating the site where contaminated material was dumped.

2. Cost - It has to be less expensive to import sand from a local supplier than it is to mine it, truck it to a port, load it on a ship, ship it halfway around the world, unload it then take it to the site requiring sand.

Just my $0.02

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 05:40:10 PM »
I knew that sand had gone up multiples in price over the last several years, but I didn't know there was an illegal trade in it now. This is pretty crazy. I wonder how many courses have been capped in illegal sand?
The story is talking about places like Morocco and Kenya - it isn't clear that this is a big deal in the US.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 06:02:54 PM »
The article is clearly about concrete, but I figured it would be relevant here because of the intense imported sand usage at many golf courses, and how it effects the global price of sand. Bruce brings up a good point, but I still think it's relevant due to the scale of the problem. If organized crime is involved at the level here it certainly seems like documentation could be suspect.

The story is talking about places like Morocco and Kenya - it isn't clear that this is a big deal in the US.

Until a few years ago, a mine north of Monterey, Calif., operated by Cemex, a global construction company, was pulling more than 270,000 cubic meters of sand every year from the beach, operating in a legal gray zone. That was the last beach mine in the U.S., shut down in 2020 by grassroots pressure. Mining in rivers and deltas, however, is still going strong throughout the U.S., not all of it legal.

I would add a personal note from my Introduction to Beaches and Shoreline Processes class back in college (it was an elective but wildly interesting). The professor had multiple photos of golf courses clearly, illegally extracting sand from adjacent beaches he was doing consulting on. I'm a pretty cynical guy, but I would find it entirely unsurprising if many coastal courses think taking a bit of beach or riverbed sand is "no big deal."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 06:05:14 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Wayne_Kozun

Re: OT - Crime Rings Trafficking Sand
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 06:18:52 PM »
Is the sand actually imported from overseas?  I thought that they would just use whatever the local sand is for stuff like capping.  And isn't Ohio sand preferred for bunkers, in addition to engineered sand like Pro/Angle.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 06:26:34 PM »
Is the sand actually imported from overseas?

After a bit of research, it looks like the US is still the leading sand exporter, so we're probably not importing sand from overseas:

Despite increased consumption of sand, the United States is still the world’s top exporter, responsible for nearly 30 percent of the world’s natural sand exports in 2018. Top destinations for U.S. sand exports include Canada, China, Japan and Mexico.

Source: Global Trade
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 06:28:05 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2024, 06:29:19 PM »

I guess Morocco and Kenya sound like better examples than Mexico and the Dominican Republic?

I am not sure this is a “sand” topic as much as it’s a trucking topic, but courses built in the third world are at the mercy of suppliers for everything from sand to pipe to sprinklers.  Not something an architect wants to get in the middle of, but it’s one of the reasons it’s so hard to do great work in overseas locations.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 01:25:11 AM »
Here's an article I wrote in GCA a couple of years ago about the global sand crisis and its potential effect on golf. Was very pleased with it -- it's nice to do real journalism once in a while.  :)

I was also extremely pleased with my headline until Marty Bonner picked me up on my rotten Scots...

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/digital/magazine/issue66/48/
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 04:11:52 AM »
Supply and demand. When there's 8 billion people in the World there's a lot of infrastructure, houses etc needing to be built and maintained. And likely higher priorities for most than bunkers and top-dressing.
atb

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2024, 08:53:35 AM »
Here's an article I wrote in GCA a couple of years ago about the global sand crisis and its potential effect on golf. Was very pleased with it -- it's nice to do real journalism once in a while.  :)

I was also extremely pleased with my headline until Marty Bonner picked me up on my rotten Scots...

And your even more rotten spelling of my surname!
 ;D
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2024, 10:34:04 AM »

And your even more rotten spelling of my surname!
 ;D
F.
At least it had two nn's with the e!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2024, 02:22:19 PM »
Millions of tons of sand are used for hydraulic fracking in the petroleum in the US   

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2024, 09:29:36 PM »
Wasn't Noho Hank trying to become the kingpin of illegally trafficked sand in Los Angeles? That didn't end well for him.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2024, 10:45:55 AM »
Wasn't Noho Hank trying to become the kingpin of illegally trafficked sand in Los Angeles? That didn't end well for him.

Cal this is exactly what I thought of, but not sure how many Barry fans we have on GCA!  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back