News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Matt Schoolfield

Re: "The little-known courses that made modern golf"
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 04:47:36 PM »
Here is the original layout of the Bruntsfield Links:

more info: https://www.bruntsfieldshortholegolfclub.co.uk/history/

I went to grad school in Edinburgh and played it often. I do really enjoy the layout and it's inspired a lot of my thoughts on getting new golfers to take up the sport.
GCA Browser Addon v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

My stuff:

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 05:06:35 PM »
They’re hardly ‘little-known’. Anyone with even a minuscule interest in golf history should be aware of them.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 07:15:59 PM »
Marty -

The sad fact of the matter is very, very few golfers have even a "minuscule interest in golf history," especially history going back to the 19th century. I would be surprised if even more than 1 in 10 British golfers knew of those 2 courses. In the U.S., I doubt more than 1 in 20 golfers have ever heard of them.

DT   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 07:44:46 PM by David_Tepper »

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 07:39:24 AM »
Marty -

The sad fact of the matter is very, very few golfers have even a "minuscule interest in golf history," especially history going back to the 19th century. I would be surprised if even more than 1 in 10 British golfers knew of those 2 courses. In the U.S., I doubt more than 1 in 20 golfers have ever heard of them.

DT
David, you give U.S. golfers too much credit. I'd bet 1 in 1000 have knowledge of Leith and Bruntsfield.
Those who do probably don't believe that Bruntsfield-or any other golf course-"has always been an open park where people can golf, walk or just enjoy the view."

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 07:54:56 AM »
Marty -

DT
David, you give U.S. golfers too much credit. I'd bet 1 in 1000 have knowledge of Leith and Bruntsfield.
Those who do probably don't believe that Bruntsfield-or any other golf course-"has always been an open park where people can golf, walk or just enjoy the view."

I would agree with this.  Even when I was there on my year overseas, with all of my knowledge of history, I didn't seek them out.

I have made it a point in recent years to take my interns to the old links at Musselburgh, which is much more impressive than the sign at Leith.  I guess even that neighborhood at Leith was totally changed by cut and fill when it became part of the city, so there's not much there to hang your hat on.

JLahrman

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 08:05:04 AM »
Marty -

DT

Guilty as charged! Although I have significantly less interest and knowledge relative to most people on this website, I certainly have far more interest and knowledge than the average US golfer. I've never heard of Bruntsfield and only know Leith by name from occasionally seeing its name on this site.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 08:08:36 AM by JLahrman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back