News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

OT - Initiation fees and membership categories and aging
« on: July 15, 2023, 02:00:50 PM »
At my club, we:

* Charge lower initiation fees for Junior members and other non-voting classes
* Juniors and other non-voting members pay additional "initiation" fees as they transfer up to higher/voting classes

I figure that's pretty normal. Am I wrong?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Rob Marshall

Re: OT - Initiation fees and membership categories and aging
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 02:09:47 PM »
We charge a lower fee to juniors and they pay no additional initiation fees when they move up.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

mike_beene

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2023, 04:14:14 PM »
In my part of the world if a club has junior membership at age 36 the junior pays the remainder of initiation fee and goes to full dues.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 04:45:14 PM »
At my club, we:

* Charge lower initiation fees for Junior members and other non-voting classes
* Juniors and other non-voting members pay additional "initiation" fees as they transfer up to higher/voting classes

I figure that's pretty normal. Am I wrong?

Essentially the same here (Junior to Young Resident to full Resident).  A detail is that when you move up the additional fee is based on the fee levels at the time you first joined, not the current fee levels at the time of the move up.  I have no idea how normal this might be.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 04:49:48 PM by Carl Johnson »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 09:13:19 PM »
That's normal, but at my club junior is under 21.  Then there is an intermediate class that goes up to something like 35.  Pre-covid we had special deals for intermediates.  Since covid we are full with a growing waitlist so the intermediate discounts are being phased out. 

Philip Gordillo

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 10:10:51 PM »
Same with my club on an escalating initiation payment as juniors or intermediates get older.  On a related note, I’m always amazed when a member doesn’t understand the following:

Initiation Payments -> Capital Projects

Dues -> Operating Expenses

Eric Zimmerer

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2023, 03:26:40 PM »
My club in Northern NJ does something a little different. We have no "junior" memberships for outsiders, rather the kids of full members are "juniors" from 17 to 28. They pay basically little dues during this time. Come 29, they become "legacy" and pay their bond and initiation amortized with no interest for 15 years, with suppressed dues and no voting right at the time.

The biases in me enjoys this, as I have an interest free loan for 15 years. However, I would like to see the club to make strides to invite younger families to grow it over the long term. We do have a full waitlist however.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2023, 09:01:14 PM »
Same with my club on an escalating initiation payment as juniors or intermediates get older.  On a related note, I’m always amazed when a member doesn’t understand the following:

That's the ideal, I guess.  But it doesn't always work that way.  I've seen situations where the initiation payments are used to keep the club going when necessary.

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2023, 11:24:50 PM »
The fact that people are living so much longer (a good fact for this 63 year old)means the membership continues to age. We seem to have 3 or 4 deaths a year and a move to be with grandchildren 2 or 3 and thus have 5 or 7 new members a year. In this economy why would a young person want to get on a 10 to 15 year wait? What happens when we die in greater numbers or the economy collapses.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2023, 08:10:14 AM »

That's the ideal, I guess.  But it doesn't always work that way.  I've seen situations where the initiation payments are used to keep the club going when necessary.

Where I am if you get in the that position you can't charge initiation fees. You let people in just to get the dues.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2023, 08:42:46 AM »

Where I am if you get in the that position you can't charge initiation fees. You let people in just to get the dues.

Prior to Covid there were some privates that were known to negotiate the initiation fees rather than lose prospective members. As Rob mentioned above the cash flow provided by the dues without the initiation fee was better than no $$$ at all. The clubs in my area now have the luxury of increased initiation fees as a result of full membership rolls and waiting lists.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2023, 01:32:03 PM »
Jason
You are no longer at Clovernook am i correct?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back