News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

NAF

When you know you are screwed!! The Himalayas
« on: December 04, 2003, 11:03:10 AM »
This is me hitting my third at the 6th hole at St. Enodoc. I am on the right side of the green by the 7th tee after having pushed a 9 iron over the Himalayas. That is not the Himalayas behind me..that is the right side of the green. The flop shot I hit from this place took 5 seconds to come down!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 02:19:50 PM by NAF »

Brian_Gracely

Re:When you know you are screwed-St. Enodoc #6
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 11:54:49 AM »
I wish I could publish the pictures of me to right of #14 (Calamity) at Royal Portrush.  There is a small trail, about half-way down that slope which is about 12 inches wide.  My ball was on the outside half, in the deep rough.  My stance was down the slope since there was no room on the trail, so I had the club choked about half-way down the shaft with the ball at shoulder height.  As expected, it was a hook stance/lie, but with the long rough it because a back over-my-head shot and down to the bottom of the dune.  From there it took a couple more to reach the green.  

Calamity was definitely an appropriate name....

tonyt

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 02:17:07 PM »
You "pushed" a 9 iron to there?

I only wish i could hit my 9 iron long enough, so that a "push" finished that wide  ;D

NAF

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 02:19:18 PM »
Tony,

From the tee to the Himalayas Bunker is only about 250 yards.  I hit 3 wood about 235 ish and then had 140 ish to the hole.  I hit a horrible shot when you consider my 9 iron went 20 yards right of the target and I was standing oh---50 or 60 feet above my target!

Paul_Turner

Re:When you know you are screwed!! The Himalayas
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 02:46:08 PM »
The Himalaya bunker is still Golf's grandest even if they have tidied it up a bit recently.

NAF that must have been a rubbish shot to end up there.  What happened to your patented snap hook, eh?

I'm back in GB, will post some pics of unknown "gems" soon.  If the sun ever surfaces above the soup.

can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 02:50:32 PM »
I know it's probably doable if you maintain some online disk-space somewhere, but is there any other way to get pictures posted on here?  I've got one of my brother in the bunker on #17 at Portrush that makes #4 at St.George's look like a molehill.

Michael Moore

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 02:51:55 PM »
Super Shiv -

Are you saying you actually got to make use all of those cool rules and decisions about holes made by a burrowing animal?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 03:11:10 PM »
The flop shot I hit from this place took 5 seconds to come down!

Where did that flop shot come down? And what did you do from that point?

This doesn't look like "screwed," to me. This looks like my favorite kind of shot (all feel, from a spot where your ball should never, ever be). This looks like an ideal sort of Skills Challenge for the next edition of "The Big Break."

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

NAF

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 03:18:10 PM »
Dan,

I caught the shot perfectly and hit a high but not soft enough flop..It landed by the pin and with the slope of the green (and not enough spin as I couldnt go at the ball without some marram grass in the way) went about 8 feet past the pin.  I 2 putted for my bogey. But I cannot tell you what joy it was watching that shot from that angle hover up there in the air.. It looked like a tiny orb.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2003, 04:06:56 PM »
Here's the view from the tee. The name might not be very imaginative but that is one huge bunker!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 12:04:37 PM by Pete_L. »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Dan Kelly

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2003, 04:09:51 PM »
Pete L. --

What does that little red sign say?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2003, 04:16:42 PM »
NO ACCESS
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

NAF

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2003, 04:18:33 PM »
Thanks for putting that up Pete..

You can actually see the green way in the distance on the left but you can't really go that way as there are hidden bunkers, scrub and the road.. My tee shot was in line with the left side of that bunker but my pushed shot was dead on the line of the middle right side of the bunker. You actually want to hit a tiny draw..tiny..

« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 04:19:12 PM by NAF »

Doug Siebert

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2003, 01:04:10 AM »
I'm just impressed you were able to find it up there...
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back