News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Book on Seth Raynor courses
« on: July 10, 2023, 10:17:39 AM »
Former denizen of the treehouse Jon Cavalier, and current inmate Michael Wolf, have teamed up to create a book on Uncle Seth. Check the LinksGems instagram site for details and purchase.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Michael Wolf

Re: Book on Seth Raynor courses
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 01:08:17 PM »
Thanks for the plug Ron!

After three years of work, we are indeed now taking pre-orders for this new book on Seth Raynor golf courses. We think a volume devoted to Raynor is long overdue. First and foremost we hope our book will be a quality presentation of what makes Raynor courses so visually appealing to so many people. Anyone who has enjoyed Jon Cavalier's photography will have plenty to like within our pages. The photos are gorgeous.

For the written content, we've tried to focus on what makes each Raynor course unique from each other. Page counts obviously preclude deep dives on each of the 40 plus courses that Raynor built or designed. But we think there is enough to keep the attention of both casual and serious GCA fans.

We are also well aware that Tony Pioppi, Nigel Islam and Bret Lawrence have an ongoing Raynor project. It's our hope that our own Raynor book can serve as a compliment to the deep dive Tony has undertaken on an eventual Raynor's biography. And our book would not have been possible without the decades of Seth Raynor Society research.

We hope you'll consider buying a copy and giving it a read.

Michael

Steve_Roths

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 01:16:11 PM »
To be fair we all will be buying both books...so all good.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 03:05:43 PM »
When is Tony’s book coming out? News to me.

Ordered This book already!
H.P.S.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 09:54:36 AM »
Thanks for the plug Ron!

After three years of work, we are indeed now taking pre-orders for this new book on Seth Raynor golf courses. We think a volume devoted to Raynor is long overdue. First and foremost we hope our book will be a quality presentation of what makes Raynor courses so visually appealing to so many people. Anyone who has enjoyed Jon Cavalier's photography will have plenty to like within our pages. The photos are gorgeous.

For the written content, we've tried to focus on what makes each Raynor course unique from each other. Page counts obviously preclude deep dives on each of the 40 plus courses that Raynor built or designed. But we think there is enough to keep the attention of both casual and serious GCA fans.

We are also well aware that Tony Pioppi, Nigel Islam and Bret Lawrence have an ongoing Raynor project. It's our hope that our own Raynor book can serve as a compliment to the deep dive Tony has undertaken on an eventual Raynor's biography. And our book would not have been possible without the decades of Seth Raynor Society research.

Michael
Michael ,
    I would like to order your book - I am not on twitter. Could you PM info that would allow me to order this? Lastly , I am a member at Blue Mound. Do you have a section that relates to BM?   Thanks!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 11:02:57 AM »
Here's a link for ordering the book. Wish I didn't have to wait until December.

https://back9press.com/pages/raynor

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2023, 11:14:55 AM »
Raynor is one of my top five favorite architects and has designed courses for some of the best clubs in the country. Thanks for the link, it makes it easier.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 05:45:17 PM »
What's the count on Raynor courses?  Pioppi once told us that contrary to popular belief that Raynor designed 150 or so courses, he actually designed about 75ish of which 55ish were built and 35ish are in existence today.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 05:55:50 PM »
What's the count on Raynor courses?  Pioppi once told us that contrary to popular belief that Raynor designed 150 or so courses, he actually designed about 75ish of which 55ish were built and 35ish are in existence today.

It will be interesting to see what Tony comes up with along with the powers that be at the Seth Raynor Society. He is lucky to have a talented group of researchers that work with him to answer these very questions
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 06:08:09 PM by Tim Martin »

Nigel Islam

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 12:55:40 AM »

Jonathan,

I think you are pretty darn close there. So the number of courses we have Raynor actually having built is about 50. If you include the ones he built for Macdonald it’s another 17. When you use the term “design” especially in the 1920s, it takes on a different meaning than it does today. There were course designs that were never implemented such as the second 18 at Yeamans Hall.

As you already said, I think if you include the ones he built with Macdonald then 35 currently existing is pretty much right there.

I mean Raynor obviously routed the Dunes course at MPCC, but I think most would be hard pressed to call it a Raynor original. Raynor usually made multiple visits to his designs contrary to a lot of Ross and MacKenzie designs which probably kept his numbers lower.  I am a big fan of all three designers, and I think both ways proved quite effective.

Phil Young

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2023, 12:46:29 AM »
Nigel, I think you might reconsider your statement in reference to what Raynor should be recognized for at MPCC statement, "I think most would be hard pressed to call it a Raynor original." Would that include Hunter and MacKenzie? In the August, 1926 issue of Golf Illustrated, on page 61, it states: "The new layout is the Monterey Peninsula Country Club...The new course was planned and partially laid out by Seth J. Raynor who died before its completion. Robert Hunter of Pebble Beach and Dr. A. Mackenzie finished Raynor's work." It certainly seems like Raynor was considered the designer of the course and had already overseen some of its construction at that time.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2023, 11:29:07 AM »
Phil,
  I was more referencing the Rees Jones and Jackson-Kahn work rather than Mackenzie and Hunter work. I have no problem if you or anyone else considers it a Raynor course. I was just trying to describe the challenges of a head count.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2023, 12:55:46 PM »
Phil,
  I was more referencing the Rees Jones and Jackson-Kahn work rather than Mackenzie and Hunter work. I have no problem if you or anyone else considers it a Raynor course. I was just trying to describe the challenges of a head count.
I didn't think the Rees work was bad, which surprised me. Obviously never saw the course before he was involved.

Doesn't sound like J-K had a remit to restore the Raynor and they don't even mention him on their website. A Raynor routing that he didn't construct and bears no resemblance to his other courses - not sure how I would describe it. Probably wouldn't call it a Raynor original, either. More of a "what might have been."

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2023, 10:43:27 AM »
Phil,
I didn't think the Rees work was bad, which surprised me. Obviously never saw the course before he was involved.

Doesn't sound like J-K had a remit to restore the Raynor and they don't even mention him on their website. A Raynor routing that he didn't construct and bears no resemblance to his other courses - not sure how I would describe it. Probably wouldn't call it a Raynor original, either. More of a "what might have been."

I'd think if it was a true Raynor then MPCC would have had it restored instead of letting JK design a new course, considering how popular Raynor's are now

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2023, 11:57:01 AM »
Thanks for the plug Ron!

Michael

Michael,

I would like to purchase a copy of the book but am not into Instagram, Twitter, etc.

If you can private message me the address to send a check and the amount to cover the book and postage, I’d be happy to purchase at least one copy.

Thanks.
Tim Weiman

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2023, 12:17:46 PM »
The Link John Mayhugh provided is just on the Web.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2023, 01:11:23 PM »
Here's a link for ordering the book. Wish I didn't have to wait until December.

John,

Thanks. Placed my order!
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back