News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard DeMenna

Re: Deepdale GC and Dick Wilson... Opinions?
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2023, 02:27:12 PM »
Not much recent discussion regarding Deepdale. Played there for the first time last month. 2 things stood out.
  • The greens were like a trampoline in not holding approaches which combined with the false fronts, made it very difficult to hit greens. It's primary defense I thought.
  • At one point in the round, I saw the crew using one of the rolling machines back and forth on the green.  I asked our host how often do you guys roll your greens. He said everyday!  I was shocked as I don't recall seeing or hearing a course rolling their greens regularly, much less everyday.
What are people's thoughts on courses rolling greens even semi regularly? I really liked the course and terrain had some character, the greens ended up being the highlight. A solid 7 IMO.

EDIT:  BTW I absolutely loved the showers!  Same head as Friars, but about 3 or more inches in diameter and without the huge PSI, very nice.

Jeff, Did you have a caddie by any chance? Growing up in the area, I had a choice to caddie there as well as Links GC and North Hills CC. I chose the Links GC. During my tenure as a caddie from the mid 60s into the early eighties, powered carts was frowned upon. I am curious if that is still the case? If you did have a caddie, I was wondering what was the caddie rate. The starting rate at Links GC was $5 a bag when I began in the mid 60s and hit $20 a bag the last year I was there in 1982.

Jeff Schley

Re: Deepdale GC and Dick Wilson... Opinions?
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2023, 02:34:30 PM »
Richard, yes we did have a caddies. It was $150 for each. There is some up and down, not a flat walk, but certainly very walk able course.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back