News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DFarron

Re: Pebble Beach says…
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2023, 05:30:10 PM »
I’m so glad to hear people say so many positive things about Pebble, a lot of times I read on architectural sites negatives about Pebble.

For me Pebble has always been a special place. When I lived in the Bay I went there often to play and see professional events. I always liked the course and felt it was second best I have ever played. It’s only negative was it’s inaccessibility.

That being said Cypress Point is the finest golfing experience I have ever had ! The beauty of the walk, diversity of holes, the combo of sand and sea make my heart beat a little louder.

Cypress is in many ways the anti-Pebble….simple, understated, solid and very satisfying.

And for me in this comparison Cypress always comes out on top.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2023, 09:43:58 PM »
For me Pebble has always been a special place. When I lived in the Bay I went there often to play and see professional events. I always liked the course and felt it was second best I have ever played. It’s only negative was it’s inaccessibility.
What do you mean by inaccessibility?  The green fee?  It isn't like CPC, ANGC or PV are more accessible, to name just three.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2023, 09:59:05 PM »
What do you mean by inaccessibility?  The green fee?  It isn't like CPC, ANGC or PV are more accessible, to name just three.

So, I will typically fall on my sword defending public courses like Pebble as "being accessible" and they are. It really bothers me when rankers/reviews start with "is it worth the money" that they would never actually analyze that when talking about CPC, ANGC, or PV memberships.

That said, minimum greens fees are  $625, but also $920/night (minimum) to get that tee time at the resort. At $1545 to get to play the course literally once, I think it's fare to lament the course for being a bit inaccessible.

There are some exceptions for Monterey locals and NCGA members, but generally speaking, we're talking about a comically large amount of money for a round of golf.

I'm guessing though, that DFarron probably meant "Monterey is difficult to travel to."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 10:01:30 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GCA Browser Addon v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

My stuff:

Tal Oz

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2023, 11:08:36 PM »
Beautifully said DFarron!

I played Pebble and Pasatiempo on back to back days earlier this year and have been lucky to play Cypress twice. My second loop around CPC really helped illuminate the subtle things whereas the first play my jaw was on the floor at every moment (but that's another thread.)

Doing my best to separate out the experience, resort v private, and history aspects there are two things that Pebble has over CPC: a longer sustained high of All World holes (6-10) and a better finish with 17-18.

Cypress has better presentation, storytelling/routing, greens (size, shape, contour, diversity), opening holes (who cares about the hedge or the range 1 is an epic hole with a great green), and inland holes. Simply put, it's more complete. In music terms it's a no skips concept album with big radio singles and that funky hidden track at the end  ;D . Pebble might have more radio singles, but you're likely to hit skip a few times. One is Abbey Road the other The White Album, one is Kid A the other The Bends.

We're splitting hairs here between two iconic courses, but if forced to pick one over the other, it's Cypress and especially so once you include all the other extras. Given a 10 round split with no 5+ hour rounds, I'm taking Cypress 6-4 and that's because of how much I loved the Pebble highs.

DFarron

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2023, 03:02:59 AM »

Difficulty getting a tee time, given that it's a resort\public golf course.

DFarron

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2023, 03:05:47 AM »

I played Pebble and Pasatiempo on back to back days earlier this year and have been lucky to play Cypress twice. My second loop around CPC really helped illuminate the subtle things whereas the first play my jaw was on the floor at every moment (but that's another thread.)

Doing my best to separate out the experience, resort v private, and history aspects there are two things that Pebble has over CPC: a longer sustained high of All World holes (6-10) and a better finish with 17-18.

Cypress has better presentation, storytelling/routing, greens (size, shape, contour, diversity), opening holes (who cares about the hedge or the range 1 is an epic hole with a great green), and inland holes. Simply put, it's more complete. In music terms it's a no skips concept album with big radio singles and that funky hidden track at the end  ;D . Pebble might have more radio singles, but you're likely to hit skip a few times. One is Abbey Road the other The White Album, one is Kid A the other The Bends.

We're splitting hairs here between two iconic courses, but if forced to pick one over the other, it's Cypress and especially so once you include all the other extras. Given a 10 round split with no 5+ hour rounds, I'm taking Cypress 6-4 and that's because of how much I loved the Pebble highs.

Good call, I forgot about the 5-6 hour rounds.

DFarron

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2023, 03:07:11 AM »

So, I will typically fall on my sword defending public courses like Pebble as "being accessible" and they are. It really bothers me when rankers/reviews start with "is it worth the money" that they would never actually analyze that when talking about CPC, ANGC, or PV memberships.

That said, minimum greens fees are  $625, but also $920/night (minimum) to get that tee time at the resort. At $1545 to get to play the course literally once, I think it's fare to lament the course for being a bit inaccessible.

There are some exceptions for Monterey locals and NCGA members, but generally speaking, we're talking about a comically large amount of money for a round of golf.

I'm guessing though, that DFarron probably meant "Monterey is difficult to travel to."

If you are a single you can walk on that same day without a lodge stay if you're willing to wait.

Tal Oz

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2023, 12:49:38 PM »

Good call, I forgot about the 5-6 hour rounds.
At Pebble I was hoping to finish the round with daylight, at Cypress I wanted time to slow down so I could spend as long as possible there.

David Kelly

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2023, 12:54:19 PM »
Last time I was at Pebble Beach we were first off, carried our bags and played in under 3 hours.  The time before that, however, was a 5 hour+ round with a honeymooning couple that were probably in single digits in the number of combined rounds played.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2023, 01:25:38 PM »
Pebble Beach does an increasingly good job on speed of play.
But--it is naturally a 4+ hour round-type course walking, there is much to see and photograph as you go around, and they want to let as many people, with varying skills, as possible enjoy one of the greatest rounds in golf.  So, cut them a little slack--and enjoy it.

Daryl David

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2023, 07:54:24 PM »
I think the best way to analyze this argument is the 10 round calculation. All the words are great, but in the end, how would you spend your 10 rounds. Especially if they were you last 10 rounds. No more after that. You get 10 rounds at Pebble or CPC and then no more golf. Ok, I’ll start.

10 rounds CPC, 0 Pebble.

Mic drop.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2023, 08:48:47 PM »
CPC leads you to believe you are a good golfer.  PB proves whether you are or are not. 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

DFarron

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2023, 08:57:23 PM »
8-2 Cypress

Will Spivey

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2023, 01:50:10 PM »
I played both, for the first time each, on back-to-back days in October. While they're both magnificent, I have CP well ahead of PB. IMO, there is little comparison in the "non-famous holes" -- CP by a wide margin there.

I agree the "out of 10" method is a good one. I'm 8/2 or 9/1 CP over PB. Every step there was magical.

David Kelly

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2023, 03:41:55 PM »
If I had the course to myself - 6-4 Cypress Point. 
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2023, 04:08:12 PM »
9-1 Pebble, once at CP is enough. All the famous shots at Pebble and majors fill my memories with nothing but Pebble. Watson, Woods, Nicklaus, Miller, O'meara, etc. 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tal Oz

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2023, 08:51:37 PM »
I think the best way to analyze this argument is the 10 round calculation. All the words are great, but in the end, how would you spend your 10 rounds. Especially if they were you last 10 rounds. No more after that. You get 10 rounds at Pebble or CPC and then no more golf. Ok, I’ll start.

10 rounds CPC, 0 Pebble.

Mic drop.
Daryl, in your final 10 rounds of golf in your life you wouldn't want to experience hitting that 2nd shot into 6 or that little wedge on 7 or across the chasm on 8? Cypress is my #1 course I've ever played and best golf experience of my life, but I'd hate to think I left another lap or two around Pebble in a final 10 rounds bout.

David Kelly

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2023, 09:09:37 PM »
9-1 Pebble, once at CP is enough. All the famous shots at Pebble and majors fill my memories with nothing but Pebble. Watson, Woods, Nicklaus, Miller, O'meara, etc. 8)
To each his own but I prefer making my own memories rather than trying to relive Johnny Miller or Tiger Woods' achievements.  My rounds at CP and PB are seared in my brain while Mark O'Meara's....are not.

Daryl David

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2023, 09:12:12 PM »

10 rounds CPC, 0 Pebble.

Mic drop.
Daryl, in your final 10 rounds of golf in your life you wouldn't want to experience hitting that 2nd shot into 6 or that little wedge on 7 or across the chasm on 8? Cypress is my #1 course I've ever played and best golf experience of my life, but I'd hate to think I left another lap or two around Pebble in a final 10 rounds bout.

Fair question, Tal. I have experienced those shots at Pebble several times. They are great. However, if I only had 10 rounds left and I allocated any of them to Pebble, I’m pretty sure I would regret it. Of course I’d be dead, so who knows. Maybe if I was granted 10 more, I squeeze one at Pebble in.  ;D

Tal Oz

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2023, 09:33:22 PM »

10 rounds CPC, 0 Pebble.

Mic drop.

Fair question, Tal. I have experienced those shots at Pebble several times. They are great. However, if I only had 10 rounds left and I allocated any of them to Pebble, I’m pretty sure I would regret it. Of course I’d be dead, so who knows. Maybe if I was granted 10 more, I squeeze one at Pebble in.  ;D
May we all be so lucky as to have our final 10 rounds at Cypress Point!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2023, 05:30:15 AM »
To each his own but I prefer making my own memories rather than trying to relive Johnny Miller or Tiger Woods' achievements.  My rounds at CP and PB are seared in my brain while Mark O'Meara's....are not.
The first book I read as a teen that turned me on to golf architecture was "The World Atlas of Golf" which included artistic renderings of the greatest course layouts but also included the history of players great rounds and shots on those courses. To me the history made on a course just adds to its greatness of the course.
Pine Valley and Cypress Point are architectural wonders but mean nothing to me in golf history without the stories of how the greatest players in history played on those courses in major tournaments.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2023, 12:36:59 PM »
CPC leads you to believe you are a good golfer.  PB proves whether you are or are not.

Have you played 11-18 at Cypress when it’s windy?  :)

ward peyronnin

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2023, 01:28:32 PM »
well since the ball was apparently moving when at rest in the fairway that seems to have been a good call.dont kno what the players said but every putt I saw rolled well end over end and how can one take issue when the winner rolls in a 20 footeri think how thte wind was affecting the putting line was much more in the players heads- esp those like T Hatton who was mssing some makeable putts  playing in
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Alex Miller

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2023, 02:09:32 PM »

Have you played 11-18 at Cypress when it’s windy?  :)

+100 - guess we'll all have to meet up at the Walker Cup to figure this out for sure  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back