News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Schoolfield

I've finished an article about how I think we should grow the game. The premise is that we should start beginners with putting courses (see: Himalayas, St Andrews), and chipping courses (see: Bruntsfield Links, Edinburgh), instead of sending them to the range to practice and practice before they can even reasonably play on a pitch & putt. The hidden thesis is that driving ranges are often pitched is being "for beginners" when really this seems a bit self-serving, as the primary consumers of driving ranges are advanced players. 

I wanted to share this here because I don't think that I know or understand the true costs involved with operating a large putting or chipping course (whether turf, artificial, or otherwise). I do understand that driving ranges can be a major source of revenue for course, but I don't know how much. I really just wanted to know whether what I propose is even remotely feasible, especially at the municipal level, especially if the staged-beginner facilities were shared between multiple golf courses so that no facility bore the burden of such potential loss-leaders. 

Anyway, sorry about the self-promotion. Here's the article if you want to read it, but the thesis is generally presented above: https://golfcoursewiki.substack.com/p/golf-for-non-golfers-getting-from

« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 03:37:52 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Thomas Dai

Have a look at what this chap is doing in Melbourne - https://www.1club.golf/oakleigh-public-golf-course/
Bonzer!
Atb

Matt Schoolfield

Have a look at what this chap is doing in Melbourne - https://www.1club.golf/oakleigh-public-golf-course/
Bonzer!
Atb
Hmm... this is a really interesting approach, and kudos to Sandy Jamieson for moving forward on this. The idea of intentionally using a down-on-its-luck golf course as a setting seems like really making lemonade with lemons.  I do think this would be more effective with intentionally designed beginner facilities though, rather than co-opting existing facilities, as I think some folks don't like the idea of seeking out lessons, and just want to play at their own level.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

DFarron

Having been a teaching pro for 25 years I think this is brilliant in theory but won’t work in the real world, especially in the US.

The best way to teach people would be to start with putting and then work your game away from
the green. Most adults  (and most parents of juniors) don’t feel like they are getting their full value in instruction if you teach that way.

It’s funny because in school we start with simple things like addition and subtraction, but most people who want to learn golf want to start at calculus.

Steve Lang

8)  My anecdotal evidence for starting with short game stuff... when my mom took me out for first golf adventures at 8 yrs old,  I was given a putter and a ball and told to hit it in the hole,starting from off the greens... still love the short game at 71 yrs old.

I've mentioned before playing a lot of Putt-Putt golf and Par 3 golf while growing up, caddying for my dad a couple times was interesting but  being a good boy for 4 hours or so to get a chance to play a hole or two was not as interesting as using a 7 iron and golfing around the neighborhood and gradeschool block.. or saving some money cutting lawns to play at the local muni with my pals...

Go short then go long...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Erik J. Barzeski

I've developed and had good success with a three-lesson package. The first two lessons work on the full swing, the third short game and putting. 45 minutes each, sometimes less, sometimes a bit more if there are two or three participants at once.

I've had a number of people break 100 within a few weeks. Some have done so before the third lesson.

I agree that the barriers to entry are often a bit too large. But I agree with the other fella above me who said that most new golfers don't want to start from the green and work backward over a series of 5, 7… more lessons.

After my three lessons, I tell them to go play golf for awhile. Develop some habits, keeping in mind what I've taught them, and then come back in like a year or so if they want to go further.

Everyone's a bit different. I like the idea of a one-club thing, but that too isn't for everyone.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Matt Schoolfield

I've developed and had good success with a three-lesson package. The first two lessons work on the full swing, the third short game and putting. 45 minutes each, sometimes less, sometimes a bit more if there are two or three participants at once.

I've had a number of people break 100 within a few weeks. Some have done so before the third lesson.

I agree that the barriers to entry are often a bit too large. But I agree with the other fella above me who said that most new golfers don't want to start from the green and work backward over a series of 5, 7… more lessons.

After my three lessons, I tell them to go play golf for awhile. Develop some habits, keeping in mind what I've taught them, and then come back in like a year or so if they want to go further.

Everyone's a bit different. I like the idea of a one-club thing, but that too isn't for everyone.
I'm not arguing with these perspective of these folks at all. My point is that seems like a bit of confirmation bias. My concern is, well, what is the dollar cost of 3 lessons and a set of clubs... I'm guessing it's approaching $1000, even if we assume a set of costco clubs. This seems to push out all but the folks who've already made up their mind that they want to play golf.

I just think there are a ton of people who would love golf, but really don't want to spend more than $50 to get started. Most of them are likely just interested in spending an afternoon having a couple of drinks in the sun with their friends. Chipping and putting courses basically allow this without lessons at all.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 06:59:59 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Erik J. Barzeski

My concern is, well, what is the dollar cost of 3 lessons and a set of clubs... I'm guessing it's approaching $1000
Two points. First, a lot of my students will use hand-me-down equipment, or I'll help them buy things on eBay, etc. My three-lesson beginner package is offered at a discount. I still make money, so it's not charity at all, but it is discounted from normal lessons, too. So… let's just say I can get people into golf for… under $250. Or under $500 or $600 if they have to buy a set of clubs from eBay.

Second… try to get into ice hockey. Or a bunch of other sports. Adult recreation can be expensive. Some sports are cheap, some are not.

This seems to push out all but the folks who've already made up their mind that they want to play golf.
The ones who aren't so sure can go to TopGolf. I mean, yes, I don't get many people who choose to spend even $250 who aren't sure. Those golfers go to Top Golf or the range with a friend or parent or relative or co-worker or something.

Few who aren't sure buy all the hockey equipment they need before they know they want to play, too.

Most of them are likely just interested in spending an afternoon having a couple of drinks in the sun with their friends.
And there are a lot of ways for them to do that.

I'm not sure what your point is here. No, getting into golf for $40 is tough. Or, they can go to TopGolf. Or, they can borrow a friend's clubs and go play a $22 course.

It's not impossible. I'm not sure what you want to see.

P.S. I disagree with your first post. People don't want to do putting courses, really. They don't want to learn to chip and putt first. Some do, I'm not saying all. But what attracts many to golf is making the ball go in the air and kinda far. Hell, that's what I liked when I was 14. I'd already done mini golf. That part I understood.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Matt Schoolfield

a lot of my students will use hand-me-down equipment, or I'll help them buy things on eBay, etc.
Good on you for this! I wish I'd had access to this type of advice when I started.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Ira Fishman

I thought I was lapsing into everything was better in the old days, but I checked the green fees at the Chicago Park District courses where I started playing more than 50 years ago. We were 12 or 13 and tried golf as a break from playing baseball every day. We found some used clubs. One day turned into multiple days. Eventually my parents bought me a starter set (Driver, 3W, 3, 5, 7, 9, and putter).

Green fees at those CPD courses are still under $40 and often times less or 9 holes for $20 or less. And Chicago is not exactly an otherwise low cost city. Those fees still are a barrier to entry for many, unfortunately. But way different than assuming it costs $1000 to just try the game.

One thing that has changed is the demise of the Par 3 course in the US (not speaking about those at high end resorts). They were both affordable and a great way to gain confidence in playing the game.

Ira

Kalen Braley

There is a relatively cheap intro to golf, and I known a few folks who got interested based on exposure to it....TopGolf!

David_Tepper

I think a lot might depend on if the beginners are children, teenagers or adults. Different approaches might be more or less successful with different age groups.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 12:07:48 PM by David_Tepper »

jeffwarne

Some great approaches on this thread.
The more experience teacher has, the more he/she will take a different approach with every single student.
One size does not fit all, and not everyone time or access to such facilities.
You get to know them and prescribe what you believe is the best approach for them , given their circumstances,their access to facilities, and be flexible and willing to change course as the relationship/their progress evolves.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tommy Williamsen

I taught my son by moving from the putting green to 50 yards from the hole and then back farther as he grew older. I did take him to the practice tee, as well. It worked well.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ben Malach

Honestly, this has become a hobby for me as I get to interact with a lot of. different people due to my vagabond lifestyle.

I have found that taking someone to the course for 9 holes as their first golfing experience has been a very successful way to introduce people to the game. As it allows people to see the different shots and strategy that is required to play golf golf. Which inturn helps when we go to the driving range a few times after that first round as I have noticed this stops the driver tee everything up addiction that developed. when I adopted a more traditional range to course lesson flow.

I will also try to introduce alternate shot early in the process as that way the beginner can see how to recover from their misses and in turn have the chance to play from good positions from my shots.

With this strategy I have successfully navigated a majority of first time golfers a chance to putt for par or better during their first round. The last time I did this was two months ago and the young women I was playing with scored her first par on her own on a 136 y par 3.

She continues to text me progress shots and asking me questions. She is not the first to show a continued interest in golf after my very casual form of golf instruction.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Tom_Doak

I will also try to introduce alternate shot early in the process as that way the beginner can see how to recover from their misses and in turn have the chance to play from good positions from my shots.

With this strategy I have successfully navigated a majority of first time golfers a chance to putt for par or better during their first round. The last time I did this was two months ago and the young women I was playing with scored her first par on her own on a 136 y par 3.

She continues to text me progress shots and asking me questions. She is not the first to show a continued interest in golf after my very casual form of golf instruction.

I have taken this same approach with a few people, including my wife.  Instead of getting frustrated hitting two or three duffed shots in a row, she could just laugh about the position she had put me in.

We even had a "family golf tournament" at Rock Creek a few years ago where I played every other shot for four different family members . . . it was some of the most pressure I have played under, because if I hit a great shot for my wife and not for my son or daughters, I would be accused of favoritism!  But my wife and son both still talk about hitting the green on the 8th and making three, all by themselves.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back