News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Fazio Design modernizing its 1996 design with all-new greens, more strategic bunkering
Croton on Hudson, NY (July 10, 2023) – An extensive renovation of the Tom Fazio-designed Hudson National Golf Club—located in Croton-on-Hudson, New York, 40 miles north of New York City and featuring expansive views from high above the Hudson River—is underway. Leading the project are Tom Marzolf, Rick Phelps, and Jeff Lawrence of Fazio Design.
Read more:
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?action=post;board=1.0

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Adam Lawrence

I think your link is wrong Steve.

I’m quite interested in this project because of the architectural team. While Tom Marzolf is with Fazio, Rick Phelps and Jeff Lawrence are not — Rick has run his own practice for a long time, and Jeff went solo a few years ago after working for Gary Player for many years. I can’t work out the logic of this collaboration and that makes it fascinating to me. Am investigating.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tommy Williamsen

I really like HN. The terrain is pretty hilly. It is a tough walk but it is a great club in an area of excellent clubs. I'll be interested to see it when it is finished.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe Bausch

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jeff_Brauer

I think your link is wrong Steve.

I’m quite interested in this project because of the architectural team. While Tom Marzolf is with Fazio, Rick Phelps and Jeff Lawrence are not — Rick has run his own practice for a long time, and Jeff went solo a few years ago after working for Gary Player for many years. I can’t work out the logic of this collaboration and that makes it fascinating to me. Am investigating.

Adam, maybe they just want to have some fun.  When Damian P and I collaborated at La Costa a decade and a half ago,  members started asking how it went, was it fun, etc.  I have seen a few more of these, like Quitno/Grace/Ross down in Seguin, Tx., and others. Or there could be a practical reason, like Fazio being too busy to really do the work (speculation, I do not know)  Or like many years ago when John Harbottle redid some of LACC, but they brought in Fazio for name value, even if they were only giving it their blessing.  Maybe they called Jeff Lawrence or Rick and brought in Fazio out of respect for the original design.

In any event, collaborations are more accepted these days, and IF you are working with a friend, it makes design even more fun.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

corey miller

Someone did a helluva sales job on this one!!!

I guess it will become more overated and the even more well regarded to the natural comparator Sleepy Hollow.

Greens with contour? Wasn't the decision made years ago that a 15 stimp trumps contour?  The press release reads like the flattish greens are the exception rather than the rule which is the case now. 

Good luck.

cary lichtenstein

Tough walk, I took off my shoes and socks in the locker room and all my toes had blisters
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve Lapper

Someone did a helluva sales job on this one!!!

I guess it will become more overated and the even more well regarded to the natural comparator Sleepy Hollow.

Greens with contour? Wasn't the decision made years ago that a 15 stimp trumps contour?  The press release reads like the flattish greens are the exception rather than the rule which is the case now. 

Good luck.

Corey is spot on. The terrain is difficult and the walk brutal. Fazio did a great job there all things considered, but it lacks the kind of course character and fun factor found just to its south at Sleepy Hollow. The most apt analogy stretches to what Sebonack is to NGLA. Each has its fans, yet any real appreciation for course architecture has to favor Sleepy. .

The practice (Trackman-enabled) range and clubhouse are very cool, but its existence owes much to resistance to scoring and iintense conditioning. Its an MGA favorite for local and regional competition

This project seems an exercise in expensive mass renovation. Seems like they are spending huge dollars to produce something significantly different that what exists there today.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 05:13:11 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

V. Kmetz

Having a documentary knowledge of the place, I did some rough calculation over 27 seasons of operation, working in the original building costs and three decades of projects, mitigations, voluminous updates, renovations, re-grassings, new tangent facilities and combined with these upcoming moves, I am figuring that when it fully re-surfaces in 2025...

Every shot played there (has, will) costs about $3.00 to produce...most rounds costing near $300... that's to have made the basic 18 golf holes and its 20-30m warm up...prior to actual maintenance and other service costs.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 01:54:06 AM by V. Kmetz »
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back