News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Ireland Advice
« on: June 20, 2023, 01:08:52 PM »
We will be playing Carne and Rosses Point next year and have one day for play before heading to Lahinch. We are staying in Westport.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

John Mayhugh

Re: Ireland Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 01:35:32 PM »
Near Westport, Mulranny seems an obvious choice. 9 holes of joy to be alive golf.
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63585

If you want more conventional, then Strandhill and Enniscrone are also options. Neither of those is particularly close to Westport, but then neither are Carne nor Rosses Point.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 01:47:23 PM »
Westport to Lahinch is 2 hrs 15 mins.

If you want to play on the day you are traveling between each, you could do worse than taking the most fantastically beautiful drive from Westport through Leenane and Clifden to play Ballyconeely (Connemara GC). Then have a late lunch in O’Dowds in Roundstone before driving on… Total driving time is 4 hours but if you get a sunny day, that itinerary will be special.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 02:03:58 PM »
Mulranny is a great way to spend a couple of hours of your life for sure.  Did the reverse of your trip and went Lahinch upon landing followed by a night in Westport en route to Belmullet. I considered Galway GC, not a links and sounds like very little Mackenzie is left to see. Connemara seemed a bit out of the way. Played Mulranny and it was one of the highlights of a great trip.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 02:09:45 PM »
I stayed in Westport back in 2019 and played Connemara while I was there. I thought it was good but not great. Coming after Enniscrone or Carne, the front 9 will seem flat and uninspiring. The back 9 gets a little more rugged. In my memory, I think it suffers because it came at the end of a trip where I played the exceptional courses in Donegal and Sligo. Had I played it first, I think I would have been more impressed.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 03:07:51 PM »
Less about the golf course, more about the drive and stopping in Roundstone.

For the least driving, Mulranny should be definitely played.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 03:55:10 PM »
Mulranny is a great way to spend a couple of hours of your life for sure.  Did the reverse of your trip and went Lahinch upon landing followed by a night in Westport en route to Belmullet. I considered Galway GC, not a links and sounds like very little Mackenzie is left to see. Connemara seemed a bit out of the way. Played Mulranny and it was one of the highlights of a great trip.

Galway is Colt, not MacKenzie. The club and I proved it last year.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 04:20:45 PM »

Tell me more…

Jim Sherma

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 09:59:27 PM »

Tell me more…

Yes, please.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023, 04:49:47 AM »

Tell me more…

Yes, please.

I have four clippings that say so -- two from the 'Connacht Tribune' in 1925, that say the course was laid out by the firm of Colt and Alison, and two from the 1930s, both written by Lionel Hewson, who should have known the truth if anyone did. Hewson wrote" "The golf is excellent, the course being the result of Mr. Colt's genius".
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2023, 09:58:41 PM »
I would second Enniscrone as a must play.
It was my favorite from that area.

Another option is playing closer to Lahinch.
I would suggest Doonbeg, not because its good (although some bits are good), but because its a great study in routing problems.
It might be the best after round bar conversation you'll have all trip ...
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2023, 08:48:58 AM »
Enniscrone is a fantastic place to visit and thrilling to play.
Double down and play the Scurmore 9 which is mostly in the flat but
takes you up and out of the dunes and you will have a great day.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2023, 09:13:41 AM »
I was much more enamored with the original 18 by Hackett at Enniscrone compared to the 9 new holes by Steele in the bigger Dunes. The Hackett holes (9 on the championship course and the Scurmore 9) are certainly not as picturesque as the Steele holes but they allow for better golf in my opinion. The Steele holes, like many holes you see in Ireland have steep and essentially un-maintained rough on either side of the fairways making for any misses being followed by tromping through the gunch with the hope you find it and can hack it back into play. While the fairways are not particularly narrow, the lack of recovery options necessitated by the construction made them play fairly one dimensionally in many ways. I felt that Carne's big dune holes were better done as there seemed to have more of an ability to maintain the closer in areas off the fairways in a playable state.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2023, 12:40:46 PM »
I'd suggest not trying to order Bushmills in the Republic, but rather Jamesons.  If you get to Northern Ireland, order what's showing behind the bar.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2023, 02:33:37 PM »
The drive from Westport to Lahinch via Clifden and Connemara is worth the extra time it takes. Play Connemara. It is much different than the dunes of Lahinch. It is laid out on some very different rocky terrain.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2023, 06:54:11 PM »
I'd suggest not trying to order Bushmills in the Republic, but rather Jamesons.  If you get to Northern Ireland, order what's showing behind the bar.

Carl,

Bushmills and Black Bush are also popular in the Republic. I used work in Gweedore Golf Club bar in Donegal and Bushmills and Powers were the most popular whiskey.

jeffwarne

Re: Ireland Advice New
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2023, 08:18:49 PM »
Although it is backtracking 28 minutes to Mulranny, a perfect pair of 9 holers is Mulranny(not to be missed), followed by Connemara Isles(not near Connemara), a fun 9 holer on the water exactly on the way as the crow flies.
Plenty of enchanting, interesting scenery along the way as mentioned.
4 1/2 hours of total driving from Westport back to Mulranny, down to CI, down to Lahinch.
Both courses and the(detoured) drive highly recommended.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 03:33:37 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2023, 11:08:55 PM »
I would second Enniscrone as a must play.
It was my favorite from that area.

Another option is playing closer to Lahinch.
I would suggest Doonbeg, not because its good (although some bits are good), but because its a great study in routing problems.
It might be the best after round bar conversation you'll have all trip ...
Ian,

I’d enjoy hearing your thoughts on the routing problems with Doonbeg as my exposure to the property goes back to when Tony Pender, who owned a large part of the property, was still living there and work had not yet started. In short, my initial impression was that the property wasn’t that good, certainly not compared to Lahinch.
Tim Weiman

Ira Fishman

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2023, 08:21:40 AM »
Thank you as always for taking the time to offer your generous advice. Itinerary:

Baltray
The Island Club
Carne
Rosses Point
Mulranny
Lahinch

This probably will be my wife’s and my last golf trip to Ireland. She has not played Lahinch which is my favorite course in the world (a thoroughly considered viewpoint). I want her to experience its joys, and I want to have it enchant me again.

As to the advice about whiskey, it too is appreciated. Perhaps the only disappointment on my previous two trips to Ireland is how difficult it was to find my drink of choice—Kentucky bourbon.

Ira

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back