News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Finn

Re: Good course, disastrous 18th
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2023, 11:54:35 AM »
The 18th at Painswick is a fairly nondescript par 3, which is a significant departure from the quirky, interesting, and fun holes that fill up the majority of the course.  It is not disastrous, but a bit of a letdown as far as finishers go. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

jim_lewis

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2023, 01:34:30 PM »
I am not a fan of uphill finishing holes. Hear are a few..
On any other course, the 18th at Augusta National would be considered mediocre.
Barton Creek Foothills Course
Country Club of NC Cardinal Course
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

JStewart

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2023, 09:18:22 PM »
I’ve never cared for the 18th at Radrick Farms. Nondescript hole with an overly tight tee shot. An otherwise wonderful course.

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2023, 02:18:24 AM »
I’ve never cared for the 18th at Radrick Farms. Nondescript hole with an overly tight tee shot. An otherwise wonderful course.
...and a strange angle off the tee that leads you to believe there is less room on the left than the right, when actually, the opposite is the case.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2023, 10:14:37 AM »
The closer at Meyrick Park, in Bournemouth is a disaster. Wedged between houses to the right and a car park caged in to the left, the 45 yard gap between is barely sufficient for a fairway.

Sean's write up sketches over it, but it's a terrible way to finish.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65912.msg1573537.html#msg1573537

Meyrick is the top candidate to be 'the next Addington'. It could be sensational.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2023, 12:28:20 PM »
Do you know what. I'm going to nominate one of my own designs for having a tragic 18th hole.

The caveat is that it isn't my fault!

The Plage des Nations course, near Rabat, in Morocco 'finished' with a spectacular, uphill par 5. That was until the owners couldn't secure the land on which Holes 11-13 are meant to be built. So, after the 10th hole, you get in the cart for a 1,350-yard hike to a temporary tee halfway down the 13th fairway.

To get the course up to 18 holes, the Moroccan operators, in their infinite wisdom, have shoehorned in a 70-yard downhill par 3 that plays from the end of the driving range tee to the chipping green. It is so short you can underarm a throw onto the green.

Bizarre and crap.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back