News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Golf Architecture in America - Page 69
« on: June 17, 2023, 09:15:42 PM »
Two photographs depict a green identified as the 120 yards 17th at LACC North.  I assume this hole NLE and if so are changes to Thomas' original routing widespread?

The course is quite appealing in the broadcasts.

Mike

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kirk

Re: Golf Architecture in America - Page 69
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 10:06:10 PM »
Hi Mike,

They've got a little alternate par 3 where the tee is a bit left of the 17th green, and the alternate green is nestled into a little ridge right of the 17th fairway.

Gene Greco

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 10:13:36 PM »
The alternate 17th green is the original one from Fowler’s design. So it “exists” but not as part of Thomas’ design.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 10:30:29 PM »
Thanks.  Good to hear from longtime pals - two of my favorites!  I’d like to know more about Fowler’s design - big fan of his work.  While The Captain doesn’t  refer directly to this hole the surrounding text suggests he was quite proud of it.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 12:23:35 AM »
Doesn't quite a bit of the Fowler routing still exist?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Kirk

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2023, 11:42:50 AM »
The alternate 17th green is the original one from Fowler’s design. So it “exists” but not as part of Thomas’ design.

This sort of refutes a thought I had yesterday.

The Stanford University Golf Course, which is attributed to Billy Bell, but thought to be a George Thomas routing, has a par 3 19th hole adjacent to the 18th green.  The hole is steeply uphill and about 125 yards long.  It's typically used as a practice area, but is put into play when a hole on the course is out of service for any reason.

I figured that's the reason the little 17th at LACC North is maintained.  Occasionally you take a hole out of service, in which case you play little 17 after big 17, and then you go play 18.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 11:47:45 AM »
John,

Tilden Park has a similar short hole...a par 3 near the 2nd green, that has been used that way in the past. 
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back