News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

LACC Restoration & Scoring
« on: June 16, 2023, 11:51:50 AM »
Has the Hanse et al "Restoration" creáted a more difficult course? an easier course? or a more visually appealing course?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

John Kavanaugh

Re: LACC Restoration & Scoring
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 12:27:52 PM »
Right after Dismal Red was built an active tour player shot 59. It pissed me off that the owner celebrated the fact. The 59 came so early in our relationship that I could never grow to love the course. Easy shaming hurts.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 12:35:02 PM »
Mr. Kavanaugh,
The thread only attempts to understand the Restoration context and its impact on the currenct event.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 12:42:07 PM »
Your question reads like an insult to the architects unless anyone believes that more difficult is the answer. Sorry.

I’m trying to establish the ignorance of easy shaming before someone gets their feelings hurt.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 01:11:19 PM »
If to re- phrase the topic, then would a reasonably respectful question be how has the playability been affected by the Restoration?
For me, visual appeal means a lot.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 02:03:40 PM »
    I would say he has made it visually more appealing and easier. He builds beautiful bunkers, which is always aesthetically pleasing. Widening fairways  and enlarging greens makes it easier, especially for these guys. I don’t know how many relevant trees he removed, but removing trees also makes it easier, although, again, often aesthetically  pleasing.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 08:29:33 PM »
Carl,
I can tell you from having played it multiple times before and after Gil’s renovations, he has made it a better golf course.  He brought back the ruggedness of the terrain/landscape/design features  re-exposing and highlighting the variety of hazards that had been lost or altered over time. One thing I will say is that I personally think the golf course looks much better in person on the ground level than it does from the air.  From the air many of the bunkers in particular look over shaped (obviously that was the Bell influence on Thomas) but they look much better at ground level.  I love the golf course. Golf doesn’t get much better over here. 

MCirba

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 09:15:41 PM »
This is a Masterclass in Strategic Golf.

So thoughtful, decisive play combined with amazing execution yields more birdies.   

And, the bomb and gouge guys who hate to have/make choices start tripping over themselves.

What's not to LOVE?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 09:19:47 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Carl Rogers

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2023, 05:06:29 PM »
Is the long grass around the bunkers and greens consistent with the original Thomas course?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2023, 10:49:03 PM »
Your question reads like an insult to the architects unless anyone believes that more difficult is the answer. Sorry.

I’m trying to establish the ignorance of easy shaming before someone gets their feelings hurt.

The ignorance of easy shaming was revealed. Nice take buddy.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 10:56:21 PM »
Right after Dismal Red was built an active tour player shot 59. It pissed me off that the owner celebrated the fact. The 59 came so early in our relationship that I could never grow to love the course. Easy shaming hurts.
I don’t know what Dismal Ted has to do with the restoration of LACC. It is probably better to stay on topic.
Tim Weiman

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2023, 11:35:43 PM »
Tim,

I was using an example from a course where I was a member where a tour pro shooting 59 influenced my love for the course. There is not a doubt in my mind that many people in the media and on this site thought LACC was lacking, specifically the restoration, because of a couple of dudes shot the lowest scores in US Open history. Thank god God let the marine layer lift before any more damage was done.

At the very least the old argument that taking down trees does not make the course easier is dead. That can’t be a good thing for the aficionados that propagate this site. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 11:47:34 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2023, 11:50:57 PM »
Is the long grass around the bunkers and greens consistent with the original Thomas course?

Golf Channel had a little thing about this, saying not but it was an attempt to recreate a similar look without having fully eroded edges, or something like that.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2023, 08:59:51 AM »
At the very least the old argument that taking down trees does not make the course easier is dead. That can’t be a good thing for the aficionados that propagate this site.

Wait a minute, this has been about trees? I thought it was all about fairway widths and rough depth. I'm one who does like trees, and there were plenty out there. I'm just not sure this is the real issue, care to expound?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2023, 09:08:54 AM »
Dan Kelly is a longtime member of this site. A man of class and intelligence that we all miss. I believe he chose the word “boneheaded” to describe the very notion of tree hugging. Trees are like lawyers when it comes to GCA.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2023, 10:20:15 AM »
Dan Kelly is a longtime member of this site. A man of class and intelligence that we all miss. I believe he chose the word “boneheaded” to describe the very notion of tree hugging. Trees are like lawyers when it comes to GCA.

I know I'm dim, but this sounds like you're directly contradicting what you just said. Am I nuts?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2023, 10:47:41 AM »
Who knows what I’m saying. I personally love trees and pretty courses. I also think LACC proved to be Shinnecock’s equal as a US Open venue. Congrats to Geoff and Hanse!!!

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2023, 11:01:47 AM »
Who knows what I’m saying. I personally love trees and pretty courses. I also think LACC proved to be Shinnecock’s equal as a US Open venue. Congrats to Geoff and Hanse!!!

I can agree with that statement.

RE trees, I've often been on the opposite side of the issue from most posters on this board. Honestly, it's the architects (who Azinger was criticizing for their tree hatred) who are closer to you and me on this issue. I feel like the architects are probably halfway between our side and the majority of the posters on this site. Which makes me feel less insecure about my opinion.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back