News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

I was looking at the Golf Geek thread and realized that there are some people on the board that have played or seen a staggering amount of courses. A few guys that come to mind are Daryl “Turboe” Boe, Cory Lewis, Mike Cirba, and from the designer ranks Tom Doak. I’m not talking about passing on a play to Cypress Point or Sand Hills but something along the lines of a Doak 4-6 but one that you really enjoy based on previous plays. Let’s add the caveat that if you don’t play the new one there is no guarantee you will get the chance again. Let’s say that the new one is a Doak 3-4. New or Repeat?

Tom_Doak

Personally, I'm not likely to check out a course I haven't seen before unless I think it could be at least a 5, or even a 6.  I'm not seeing them just to add to my total -- I'm seeing if they are worth recommending to others.

Of course, that's all hypothetical these days, since I barely have time to do anything but build stuff.  I have only been on about a half dozen courses this year, and the only two I've played for the first time are the two that we finished building last year:  Te Arai (North) and The Lido.

Matt Schoolfield

I vastly prefer to get to know courses over checking boxes.

Heading home now from Wisconsin where I played Lawsonia for the second time rather than heading somewhere else like Whistling Straits (I did stop by there though to try the Belhaven’s Jigger Ale).

I let the research draw my interest, then I try and play until I understand the course in play, rather than in theory.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 10:18:09 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Sean_A

I like replays and new plays. That said, I am not on a quest to play as many different courses as possible or play all the courses in a certain area. I don't care about a huge percentage of English courses. If I see a new course I don't care about it's for social reasons. But sometimes I am pleasantly surprised...Harewood Downs is an example.

The big problem with replays is the greenfees are out of control so these visits have to be highly targeted. It's fairly routine these to pay 75 quid and up for what was not long ago a reasonable priced 2nd/3rd tier course. Hence my interest in 9 holers or quite short courses has gone up in the past 5 years or so. So often there will be something of great interest on these courses, but I do cherry pick. 😎

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

I’m fine with replays when they are courses I consider special, and special to me doesn’t necessarily mean big name, far from it. Avoiding courses and regions where the masses tend to gather during the main playing season also has more and more appeal as does playing shorter, quirkier, less manicured courses including 9-holers.

Atb

Peter Sayegh

I always go with new courses. Never know if it'll become a favorite or show me something cool unless I play it.

Kalen Braley

Agree with Peter,

When it comes to golf, some people are Settlers and others are Explorers... and there is nothing 'wrong' with either group, its all just personal preference. I'm squarely in the latter camp.

Tommy Williamsen

I like seeing as many new (to me) courses as possible. That said, if the opportunity to play an exceptional course that I have played numerous times comes up, I will take it.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Stewart Abramson

I like to visit new areas or regions that I have not previously visited, which means playing a lot of new courses. However, when I revisit an area, I play a mix of old favorites and new courses. I also try to mix it up with a couple high end courses and some lesser knowns/lower cost courses. For example, Sunningdale is a favorite when visiting London, but the green fee keeps me away in lieu of some of the lesser knowns. Sean and others here have been resources for finding some less expensive options

A.G._Crockett

Re: Are You Inclined To Play A New Course Or A Repeaty
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 05:55:57 PM »
No need; I’ll just leave this one.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 08:52:12 PM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tim Martin

Re: Are You Inclined To Play A New Course Or A Repeaty
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 06:26:44 PM »
Too many variables.
How close to home am I?  Am I ever likely to be back there?  How much did I enjoy the course I already played?  Would I be playing the new course ONLY because it's new, or is it reasonably highly regarded?  What does each cost?

Start your own thread ;D

Doug Bolls

I am definitely in the "new course" camp.  On a trip right now to finish a goal of playing in every state (except AK). 

Been fortunate to include a few old courses by ODG including:

East Potomac - Wash DC - Travis in 1920's

Ailling GC - New Haven - Robert Pryde - 1929

Yale - New Haven - Raynor - 1923

Keney Park - Hartford - Emmet - 1927

Triggs Memorial - Providence - Ross - 1933

French Lick - Ross - 1917

Cape Arundel - Kinnebunkport - Travis - 1896

Dorset Field Club - Dorset, VT - "Thugs, Touts and Loafers" - 1886 

So far 14 new courses in 15 days.

A few more to go.

Cory Lewis

A few guys that come to mind are Daryl “Turboe” Boe, Cory Lewis, Mike Cirba, and from the designer ranks Tom Doak.
Thanks for the mention Tim!  I'm obviously still heavily into the new but in the last few years I've started to incorporate favorite courses when I'm in an area. 

For example, when I visit the Boston area next month, in addition to the 15+ new courses I'll play, I am returning to personal favorites Essex County and Myopia Hunt. 
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

MCirba

Tim also mentioned me in his initial post here and after thinking about the original question here i think the answer for me may be more nuanced than new vs favorite, as posed.

I'm blessed/cursed with a desire to see and play new golf courses, particularly if they have some historical significance.   Truthfully, even after playing for almost 52 years (and 1,244 courses), I'm still jazzed stepping on the first tee of any course I've never played, great or small.   Left to my own devices in a perfect world, I'd probably be retired with enough economic security to travel extensively and continue to add to that number.   Alas, I'm still working full-time and likely will for another two years if all goes to plan.

I'm also facing the realities that I've played most of the courses within easy reach and/or access so adding to that number requires longer day trips as as I approach age 65 I'm starting to learn that there are physical limitations to how much I can put my body through in a day without some repercussions.   Probably my last hurrah in that regard was a trip to Bandon last fall where I played/walked 151 holes on 9 courses in 4 days.   

This year, due to some family and work issues (as well as some crazy weather) I've played less golf period than in years prior.   Halfway through June I've played only 29 rounds of golf (in 25 days), and of those only 8 were "new" courses, 2 on a one-day winter trip with Joe Bausch to southern Delaware and another 4 squeezed in during a long weekend with some childhood friends celebrating their 40th anniversary of trips to Myrtle Beach.   Almost by definition, most of those courses are more "modern", the oldest being from 1967.

Taking those out of the equation, that leaves two new courses I've played closer to me, one from 1910 and another opening in 1957.   That leaves 18 "repeat" courses played, where I definitely have a bias for older, classic courses like Seaview Bay, Ed Oliver, Jeffersonville, Merion West, Reading, McCall, Galen Hall, and Berkleigh (all favorites while waiting for Cobb's Creek to re-open).   Of those repeat courses, the average date of opening is 1941, or roughly 82 years old. 

I suspect going forward I'll continue in that vein.   I'm heading to Pebble Beach in October of this year and flying into San Francisco I'm thinking of squeezing in historic public courses such as Presidio, Harding Park, Sharp Park, and Pacific Grove in and around the PB Resort courses on both ends of the trip.    Someone mentioned to me privately that I probably have connections to play some exclusive private clubs but honestly that just seems to complicate the itinerary, much as I appreciate the generous hospitality I'm so often afforded by others from this group and others.   I guess inevitably we all just feel more comfortable returning to our roots, whether in the form of a new experience or a nostalgic revisit.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tim Martin

Tim also mentioned me in his initial post here and after thinking about the original question here i think the answer for me may be more nuanced than new vs favorite, as posed.

I'm blessed/cursed with a desire to see and play new golf courses, particularly if they have some historical significance.   Truthfully, even after playing for almost 52 years (and 1,244 courses), I'm still jazzed stepping on the first tee of any course I've never played, great or small.   Left to my own devices in a perfect world, I'd probably be retired with enough economic security to travel extensively and continue to add to that number.   Alas, I'm still working full-time and likely will for another two years if all goes to plan.

I'm also facing the realities that I've played most of the courses within easy reach and/or access so adding to that number requires longer day trips as as I approach age 65 I'm starting to learn that there are physical limitations to how much I can put my body through in a day without some repercussions.   Probably my last hurrah in that regard was a trip to Bandon last fall where I played/walked 151 holes on 9 courses in 4 days.   

This year, due to some family and work issues (as well as some crazy weather) I've played less golf period than in years prior.   Halfway through June I've played only 29 rounds of golf (in 25 days), and of those only 8 were "new" courses, 2 on a one-day winter trip with Joe Bausch to southern Delaware and another 4 squeezed in during a long weekend with some childhood friends celebrating their 40th anniversary of trips to Myrtle Beach.   Almost by definition, most of those courses are more "modern", the oldest being from 1967.

Taking those out of the equation, that leaves two new courses I've played closer to me, one from 1910 and another opening in 1957.   That leaves 18 "repeat" courses played, where I definitely have a bias for older, classic courses like Seaview Bay, Ed Oliver, Jeffersonville, Merion West, Reading, McCall, Galen Hall, and Berkleigh (all favorites while waiting for Cobb's Creek to re-open).   Of those repeat courses, the average date of opening is 1941, or roughly 82 years old. 

I suspect going forward I'll continue in that vein.   I'm heading to Pebble Beach in October of this year and flying into San Francisco I'm thinking of squeezing in historic public courses such as Presidio, Harding Park, Sharp Park, and Pacific Grove in and around the PB Resort courses on both ends of the trip.    Someone mentioned to me privately that I probably have connections to play some exclusive private clubs but honestly that just seems to complicate the itinerary, much as I appreciate the generous hospitality I'm so often afforded by others from this group and others.   I guess inevitably we all just feel more comfortable returning to our roots, whether in the form of a new experience or a nostalgic revisit.

Mike-That’s a terrific post. I don’t know how many people on the board are aware of the extent of your exploits as a researcher/historian which I’m sure has taken precedent at times over playing. Add that to all the time and effort put in to spearheading the restoration effort at Cobbs Creek(along with Professor Bausch) and you would likely have many more courses seen to your credit. Well played! :)

John McCarthy

I play frightfully few courses. I'm a stick 8n the mud.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

MCirba

Mike-That’s a terrific post. I don’t know how many people on the board are aware of the extent of your exploits as a researcher/historian which I’m sure has taken precedent at times over playing. Add that to all the time and effort put in to spearheading the restoration effort at Cobbs Creek(along with Professor Bausch) and you would likely have many more courses seen to your credit. Well played! :)

Tim,

Thanks very much.   I've kidded with others that if my failing game continues its present rate of deterioration I may aspire to become like Tom Paul who in recent years has preferred to walk the course with others playing to simply watch the architecture in action.  Right now I feel like a snake handler while putting.

I do also find a great deal of satisfaction in golf course historical research and there's probably a terrific human interest story book I need to write about our said endeavors to promote public golf in the city of Philadelphia.   

That being said, I've committed to join a friend in a few weeks to play 3 different nine-hole courses with historic interest in one day in the Catskill region in two weeks, so I'm generally still incorrigible as I grow older and more cantankerous.

Stewart Abramson

That being said, I've committed to join a friend in a few weeks to play 3 different nine-hole courses with historic interest in one day in the Catskill region in two weeks, so I'm generally still incorrigible as I grow older and more cantankerous.

Which three ??

Tim Martin

Which three ??

I’m curious as to which courses as well.

MCirba

Stewart/Tim,

I'll message you offline.   Its no state secret but one of the clubs is very private so I'd like to respect that.    Thanks.

Chris_Blakely

“Variety is the spice of life, that gives it all its flavor.”  I have come to understand about myself that I am an experience driven person and more to the point new golf experience driven.  The joy I experience playing a new course for the first time is something that still gives me the flavor I need. 

I do not get too hung up on Doak ratings or age of the course.  While I do typically try to play the older ‘golden age’ courses when available,  I will not rule out a course because of its age or architect.  I have found too many very good / unique courses through my travels and hope to keep doing so.

I am quite sure I was the first to post about several well though of golden age public courses that are still talked about on this site.  I know that was the case about most of Dev Emmet’s public courses.

Erik J. Barzeski

Like AG's since-removed post… it depends on a lot of factors for me.

Namely… who am I playing with? I've introduced a few new players to old favorites, and so I enjoy seeing their reactions to the course during and after the round. With some people I've played more golf with… we'll often experience a new course for the first time together. On a trip to an area I've played in before, I often mix in some new courses with some old favorites.

I've played fewer courses than many here, so often I play new courses out of necessity: I am visiting Hamilton, OH next week and all three courses will be new, for example. But in Columbus, I've played many of the good courses there, and have only a few "new" ones to check off… eventually.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Paul Jones

I go back to my favorites but also 1-2 additional courses. I am going back to London, playing Sunningdale and St George’s Hill (both played multiple times) but adding Woking and Wentworth. Same with St Andrew’s, playing Old, New, Carnoustie… adding Dumbarnie, Royal Aberdeen.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Ben Sims

I’ve just returned from the first of what I expect will be many trips to Scotland. I had a mission to sort of compare and contrast two places as an overseas member. That said, what I found out is that I very much enjoy playing one course many times. Seventy two holes at each course was terrific and it’s the way I’ll plan golf trips in the future to the max extent possible.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back