News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Raynor Cypress Point
« on: June 10, 2023, 07:35:37 PM »
Questions:

1. Was he planning on using template holes? I assume so but the long lost and now found routing is not detailed enough to ascertain.

2. Did MacKenzie have access to the Raynor routing? If so, did he leave any indicia of why he changed it?

Thanks.

Ira

MCirba

Re: Raynor Cypress Point
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 06:15:39 AM »
Who found it?   
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 07:59:03 AM »
Ok, I might have sounded too definitive, but Sven found what looks to/might be it. Even if not, my questions still stand. I am curious if there is any contemporaneous evidence about either or both questions (letters, oral histories, club histories, etc.).

Thanks.

Ira

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 09:44:37 AM »

Ira,

I can ask Anthony Pioppi who is writing a book on Raynor but suspect if he knows those types of details he may want to wait for the book release to unveil them.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 12:39:21 PM »
I seem to remember in Geoff’s book on Cypress Point that Marion Hollis had the Raynor routing.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 01:13:05 PM »
The Raynor routing was never lost.  The club has always had it, as did Dr. MacKenzie when he took over the project.  MacKenzie left Raynor’s routing largely intact, but iterated on holes 6-14.  I’ve seen 3 or 4 variations of the routing.

Good question whether or not Raynor would have built templates.  The routing maps were just stick figure representations of holes, so impossible to glean his intent from those alone.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 01:24:35 PM by Joshua Pettit »
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 01:41:43 PM »
The Raynor routing was never lost.  The club has always had it, as did Dr. MacKenzie when he took over the project.  MacKenzie left Raynor’s routing largely intact, but iterated on holes 6-14.  I’ve seen 3 or 4 variations of the routing.

Good question whether or not Raynor would have built templates.  The routing maps were just stick figure representations of holes, so impossible to glean his intent from those alone.
Joshua,

Your post touches on an important point. Raynor may have gone no further than the routing and while the routing is obviously very important, it is not all there is to the design. Personally, I’m happy MacKenzie put his imprint on that property and not Raynor.
Tim Weiman

Ira Fishman

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 01:51:32 PM »

Joshua,

Many thanks.

I just took a look at the reprint of the Fairway magazine article on the Allister MacKenzie Institute site and realized that the graphic of the routing is not the final routing. Is that what you mean by iterating on 6-14?

Ira

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 01:22:46 AM »
Here's the thread that Ira references above - https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66837.0.html

Perhaps Josh can let us know if the routing the club has matches the routing shown below found on the 1921 Map of the area that was annotated by Charles Cheney.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 07:39:37 AM »
Ahhh...now I recall that thread, thanks, Sven.

As to Ira's original question, I think it's safe to assume Raynor would have deployed some form of template holes on the property.   I'm not sure I know a Raynor design where he did not use that approach?   I think a fun exercise might be trying to speculate which holes were intended to be which templates, albeit without us having an actual answer guide (that I'm aware of) to verify our speculation.  :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 08:00:05 AM by MCirba »

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023, 09:03:22 AM »
Mackenzie may have given us a clue about the 17th hole.  Prize Dogleg? It sounds like Mackenzie may have used it as a template as well.

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2023, 09:25:11 AM »
Here's the thread that Ira references above - https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66837.0.html

Perhaps Josh can let us know if the routing the club has matches the routing shown below found on the 1921 Map of the area that was annotated by Charles Cheney.

It’s interesting to see how Seventeen-Mile Drive was re-routed to make way for today’s 1st and 14th-18th holes. The original path is in white, the proposed path by Cheney and todays current route is in blue.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 09:29:06 AM by Bret Lawrence »

JC Urbina

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2023, 09:39:35 AM »
Ira,

In my opinion Seth Raynor would have used the now Famous Template Holes at Cypress and they would have been used in the following fashion.

Hole # 1- Valley
Hole # 2- Long
Hole # 3- Redan
Hole # 4- Hogs Back
Hole # 5- Cypress
Hole # 6- Punchbowl
Hole # 7- Short
Hole # 8- Leven
Hole # 9 - Knoll
Hole #10 - Bottle
Hole #11- Narrows
Hole #12- Road Hole
Hole #13- Double Plateau
Hole #14- Alps
Hole #15- Eden
Hole #16- Biarritz
Hole #17- Cape
Hole #18- Home

My dream 18-

What's yours

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2023, 01:31:37 PM »
To be clear, on the podcast about the Cheney Map (found here - https://talkingolf.com/episode-37-tgh-37-the-lost-routings-of-cypress-point/), neither Bret nor I jumped to the conclusion that this was actually Raynor's routing, no matter how much Connor tried to get us there. 

There is a ton of circumstantial evidence that suggests that it could be, but nothing definite that says that it has to be.

It is curious to me that after all these years someone is confirming that the club had Raynor's routing the whole time.  Makes one wonder if any of the architects that have consulted with Cypress have been given access to those plans, stick routings or not.

The story has changed a little over the last 20 years, as evidenced by this old thread populated by some early heavyweights from these parts - https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,1964.0.html.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 01:52:18 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ted Sturges

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2023, 02:16:33 PM »
Questions:

1. Was he planning on using template holes? I assume so but the long lost and now found routing is not detailed enough to ascertain.

2. Did MacKenzie have access to the Raynor routing? If so, did he leave any indicia of why he changed it?

Thanks.

Ira

Is there an example of a golf course built by Seth Raynor where he DIDN'T use template holes?

TS

Ira Fishman

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2023, 04:18:15 PM »
Ted,

That is why I said I assume that he would use templates. But I am hoping someone might know for sure and which ones where. I am in the camp that it is hard to imagine a better course than what MacKenzie designed, but because it seems that he did use substantial parts of Raynor’s routing, it would be a fun exercise to be able imagine what Raynor would have produced. One of my favorite threads is the comparison of the plans that Flynn and Ross did for the CC of York. Two masters approaching the same challenge/opportunity.

Ira

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2024, 03:36:44 PM »
Funneled here from the Raynor list thread and I have some questions.

Has anyone talked to Joshua since his post? Is there any indication that an actual drawing created by Raynor exists?

If I understand Sven's find properly, it's the case that the stick-routing map predates the opening of the club and so some believe that it could be based on Raynor's routing? Is there more to it than that?

Obviously the stick routing doesn't fully match reality, but it matches in some ways. I'm just curious what I'm missing.

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Peter Bowman

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 10:41:12 AM »
Ira,

In my opinion Seth Raynor would have used the now Famous Template Holes at Cypress and they would have been used in the following fashion.

Hole # 1- Valley
Hole # 2- Long
Hole # 3- Redan
Hole # 4- Hogs Back
Hole # 5- Cypress
Hole # 6- Punchbowl
Hole # 7- Short
Hole # 8- Leven
Hole # 9 - Knoll
Hole #10 - Bottle
Hole #11- Narrows
Hole #12- Road Hole
Hole #13- Double Plateau
Hole #14- Alps
Hole #15- Eden
Hole #16- Biarritz
Hole #17- Cape
Hole #18- Home

My dream 18-

What's yours
My dream 18 is definitely CPC as-is.  2 of the best days of my life were the 2 times I played it. 
Your interpretation of Raynor's templates looks fun but I think the property is far too unique and impressive to make 18 templates on it without taking away from its natural appeal.
I'm no expert by any means (yet) but the templates are well-suited to make mundane lands more interesting.
Maybe someone could build your Raynor CPC template on The Golf Club 2019 for simulator play.  Could be fun.
(I love your work, by the way.)

Brian Finn

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 11:08:31 AM »
Your interpretation of Raynor's templates looks fun but I think the property is far too unique and impressive to make 18 templates on it without taking away from its natural appeal.
I'm no expert by any means (yet) but the templates are well-suited to make mundane lands more interesting.
I've never played Cypress Point, but obviously have little/no reason to disagree with you. 

Having said that, how would you compare/contrast Fishers Island? 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 11:58:18 AM »
The club is working on a new history book.  It will include a blueprint of Raynor’s stick routing (which was all he provided) and a comparison to MacKenzie’s routing.

Those of us who have seen it were sworn to secrecy, but I don’t think the truth will flip the existing narrative.  If anything, all of the above somewhat overstates Raynor’s contribution to the final product.

David_Tepper

« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 01:25:00 PM »
And don't forget Raynor's map for the Lake Course at Olympic, hanging on the wall in the men's locker room. :)

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 01:54:41 PM »
This was probably already posted elsewhere, but I had come across something similar to what Sven posted above. Looks like a two-sided brochure with different maps on either side.

The thing I noticed is that the routing of hole 5 et al on the full-color side matches what Sven posted above, whereas the map on the black and white side more closely matches reality. Nothing major, just thought it was kind of funny and that it is a weird oversight on the part of the graphic designer.

See below, click on the images to launch in Flickr so you can zoom in if you like (the originals are pretty large, but if you click through, the simple zoom might not get you close enough to read everything, you might need to click download and save the original size to your PC).

Monterey Peninsula Map Page 1 by goerges_family, on Flickr

Monterey Peninsula Map Page 2 by goerges_family, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:57:13 PM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 02:00:04 PM »
...I don’t think the truth will flip the existing narrative.  If anything, all of the above somewhat overstates Raynor’s contribution to the final product.

Honestly, I'm kind of happy to hear that.

Jackson C

« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 02:37:43 PM »
I've never played Cypress Point, but obviously have little/no reason to disagree with you. 

Brian,

Peter captures my feelings on this well.
Cypress is amazingly beautiful.  And much of it is very sandy.  Perfect site for MacKenzie and his skill set.

Your question on Fishers is good one.  Fishers is amazing and seemingly could not be any different because it is so.
If I have to find distinctions, two I suggest are: a) Fishers is not on a sandy site, so maybe that is a better situation for a Raynor; and b) the beauty and magnificence of Fishers very much the views (of the ocean and being proximite thereto on so many holes), than they are at Cypress.  The inland holes (which are most of the holes) at Cypress are beautiful, sandy, moving, and the surrounds of the trees and vegetation are uniquely Monterrey.

"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

Peter Bowman

« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 04:46:38 PM »

My life has yet to be blessed with playing Fisher's Island. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back