News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: PGA to merge with LIV
« Reply #325 on: December 07, 2023, 10:48:15 AM »
I wonder if some of the guys feel that LIV players will be allowed to return to the TOUR at some point, so taking the money is a no-brainer.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Bodo

« Reply #326 on: December 07, 2023, 10:58:15 AM »
I wonder if some of the guys feel that LIV players will be allowed to return to the TOUR at some point, so taking the money is a no-brainer.
The vast majority of players have no desire to return to the PGA or DP World Tours. They love LIV's reduced schedule, the team competition format, playing globally and in their home countries and in front of their own fans, depending on the stop. With Rahm in the fold the Andalucia LIV stop next year will be off the charts. It was last year with just Sergio playing. Add Rahm to the mix and it will be like Adelaide 2.0. The U.S. will be the last market that embraces LIV and understandably so with favortism shown to the legacy PGAT. Outside of the U.S., however, LIV is the tour people follow and it's only going to grow.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Kalen Braley

« Reply #327 on: December 07, 2023, 11:11:11 AM »
Mike,

I guess that's the case, because its hard to make sense of it. 

Abysmally low ratings here in the US, comically low even, and almost zero interest from the sports media outlets in terms of reporting.  Throw in most of these guys can't play in majors anymore and aren't getting OWGR points and its a real head scratcher.  It made sense for the guys with most of their career in the rear view, but Rahm, and others as speculated, are definitely still on the proverbial front 9.

And to boot, the chances of this deal being approved from an oversight perspective seems low, so unless someone else steps in its hard to see the merger actually happening.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #328 on: December 07, 2023, 11:23:09 AM »
The vast majority of players have no desire to return to the PGA or DP World Tours. They love LIV's reduced schedule, the team competition format, playing globally and in their home countries and in front of their own fans, depending on the stop. With Rahm in the fold the Andalucia LIV stop next year will be off the charts. It was last year with just Sergio playing. Add Rahm to the mix and it will be like Adelaide 2.0. The U.S. will be the last market that embraces LIV and understandably so with favortism shown to the legacy PGAT. Outside of the U.S., however, LIV is the tour people follow and it's only going to grow.

They love the money.

They play about as often as they would on the PGA Tour or European / DP World Tour.

Not sure they care about the team thing outside of the end-of-season all-team purse tournament.

Once the deal is done, they'll have to be allowed to play on the old tours or the lawsuits will fly.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Rob Marshall

« Reply #329 on: December 07, 2023, 11:25:32 AM »

Mike, they play 14 events. They only have to play 15 on the PGA tour. Add in the travel across the globe and I would argue it's more time away from home. Then to get ranking points they need to play more events on the Asian tour. Let's not kid ourselves. It's all about the money. I have no problem with that if that's what they want. Just admit it like Varner did.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Mike Bodo

« Reply #330 on: December 07, 2023, 11:48:02 AM »
Mike, they play 14 events. They only have to play 15 on the PGA tour. Add in the travel across the globe and I would argue it's more time away from home. Then to get ranking points they need to play more events on the Asian tour. Let's not kid ourselves. It's all about the money. I have no problem with that if that's what they want. Just admit it like Varner did.
While I don't disagree with the travel expense or the financial security arguments, many of the PGAT guys play 18 - 20 events by the time sponsor events are factored in. For example, as part of his endorsement deal with Rocket Mortgage Rickie Fowler is contractually obligated to appear and play in the Rocket Mortgage Classic each year, which isn't an elevated/designated event. There are similar tournaments to it where sponsored PGAT players have to appear. Thus, it ends up being more than just 15 events for many of them. Look how many top OWGR guys played in the Hero World Challenge this past week? None of them were obligated to do so, but no one wants to disappoint Tiger either. Meanwhile, while that was going on the LIV guys were kicking back relaxing with their families at home. A lot of the same top players are at the Grant Thorton mixed event tourney this week. So, it add's up for these guys beyond the 15 they're obligated to take part in by the PGAT.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 11:57:42 AM by Mike Bodo »

Tim Martin

« Reply #331 on: December 07, 2023, 12:08:38 PM »
There are rumors swirling that Jon Rahm will go to LIV with the reputed signing bonus at a cool $600 million. Without any judgement on the possible defection and if I’m a bettor I think he goes. That’s a lot of zeros after the 6. :o
WSJ is reporting that Rahm will be leaving for LIV
That's a signing many LIV fans and followers (myself included) have been waiting to be confirmed. Rumor has it that Finau, Cantlay and Schauffele aren't far behind. The OWGR is going to have to find a away to award LIV golfers points or find themselves irrelevant, as the majors are going to want the best players in the world at their events regardless of tour or league affiliation - OWGR points be damned.

If Rahm goes at this stage of the game it's a big FU to everyone on the tour. Now all of sudden he wants or needs the money? They can have Cantlay. Big question would be why is Cantlay on the policy board if he's going..............Seems like a little bit of a conflict.............

Rob-I think Cantlay and Schauffele will act in tandem. If either go to LIV they both will. As far as Cantlay on the policy board it makes sense if you are weighing your options to have a birds eye view of what is going on behind the scenes. I want to believe that he’s there for the right reasons but…. Finally how many guys were never going to jump ship until they did.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #332 on: December 07, 2023, 12:15:33 PM »
Rob-I think Cantlay and Schauffele will act in tandem. If either go to LIV they both will. As far as Cantlay on the policy board it makes sense if you are weighing your options to have a birds eye view of what is going on behind the scenes. I want to believe that he’s there for the right reasons but…. Finally how many guys were never going to jump ship until they did.
Great points, Tim. I could't agree with you more.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #333 on: December 07, 2023, 01:22:16 PM »
There are rumors swirling that Jon Rahm will go to LIV with the reputed signing bonus at a cool $600 million. Without any judgement on the possible defection and if I’m a bettor I think he goes. That’s a lot of zeros after the 6. :o
WSJ is reporting that Rahm will be leaving for LIV
That's a signing many LIV fans and followers (myself included) have been waiting to be confirmed. Rumor has it that Finau, Cantlay and Schauffele aren't far behind. The OWGR is going to have to find a away to award LIV golfers points or find themselves irrelevant, as the majors are going to want the best players in the world at their events regardless of tour or league affiliation - OWGR points be damned.

If Rahm goes at this stage of the game it's a big FU to everyone on the tour. Now all of sudden he wants or needs the money? They can have Cantlay. Big question would be why is Cantlay on the policy board if he's going..............Seems like a little bit of a conflict.............

Yeah, it will be disappointing if Rahm goes.

Only guy I was really disappointed about was Cam Smith. I really like that kid. My son was fortunate to have a small interaction with him this year in March before they both teed off and he played a par 3 with him when they let his group play thru at The Yard in Ponte Vedra. My son said he could not have been nicer. He made a fan for life out of my son.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #334 on: December 07, 2023, 01:26:36 PM »
Looks like the Rahm announcement will be today according to Golf Channel

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jim Hoak

« Reply #336 on: December 07, 2023, 08:58:18 PM »
Someone make any sense to me of the Rahm move considering that the Tours are talking about merging?  Is it just a chip in the  negotiations by LIV to get a better deal?  O is this saying that the merger discussions are off?  If they merge, how does Rahm make out?  I assume no one on here has an absolute answer, but probably a lot of theories.
I'm getting pretty disgusted with professional golf in general.  Anyone else?

Tommy Williamsen

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #338 on: December 07, 2023, 09:36:56 PM »
Someone make any sense to me of the Rahm move considering that the Tours are talking about merging?  Is it just a chip in the  negotiations by LIV to get a better deal?  O is this saying that the merger discussions are off?  If they merge, how does Rahm make out?  I assume no one on here has an absolute answer, but probably a lot of theories.
Best of both worlds for Jon. He gets $300M, they merge, he can go back to playing PGA Tour golf. PIF gets what it wants, and this forces the PGA Tour's hand.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Daryl David

« Reply #339 on: December 07, 2023, 10:04:14 PM »
The media is asking Jon what he would go to the LIV. His family was probably asking him why he wouldn’t go to the LIV. The Tour has always made a big deal about how these players are independent contractors and make their own decisions. Why question this decision?  If he is truly independent and thinking about himself and his family, his decision is his business. More power to him.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #340 on: December 07, 2023, 10:40:40 PM »
Why question this decision?
Because of all he's said before?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Daryl David

« Reply #341 on: December 07, 2023, 10:57:48 PM »
Not allowed to change your mind?

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #342 on: December 07, 2023, 11:08:51 PM »
Not allowed to change your mind?
You can, but people can "question the decision," too.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #343 on: December 07, 2023, 11:42:56 PM »
Just like the NFL and AFL merger almost 60 years ago...the AFL was formed in1960 and the NFL was the old money/establishment league.  The AFL was led by "new money" which was willing to poach NFL players and the NFL agreed too a merger to avoid costly battles for players.  Something like that will be the next step here...

Chris Hughes

« Reply #344 on: December 08, 2023, 12:11:19 AM »
The vast majority of players have no desire to return to the PGA or DP World Tours. They love LIV's reduced schedule, the team competition format, playing globally and in their home countries and in front of their own fans, depending on the stop. With Rahm in the fold the Andalucia LIV stop next year will be off the charts. It was last year with just Sergio playing. Add Rahm to the mix and it will be like Adelaide 2.0. The U.S. will be the last
market that embraces LIV and understandably so with favortism shown to the legacy PGAT. Outside of the U.S., however, LIV is the tour people follow and it's only going to grow.

🫵🙌

Chris Hughes

« Reply #345 on: December 08, 2023, 12:16:05 AM »
Mike,

I guess that's the case, because its hard to make sense of it. 

Throw in most of these guys can't play in majors anymore and aren't getting OWGR points and its a real head scratcher.

Harold Varner has banked $50,000,000 in the last 16 months -- makes sense.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #346 on: December 08, 2023, 02:13:26 AM »
Best of both worlds for Jon. He gets $300M, they merge, he can go back to playing PGA Tour golf. PIF gets what it wants, and this forces the PGA Tour's hand.

Exactly. The Saudis either get the deal with the Tour at favorable terms (to them, at least), or it collapses and they can continue to sign notables, now without fear of a lawsuit since those were dismissed with prejudice. The Saudis win either way.

They have been playing chess while the Tour has been playing checkers. As Paul Rudovsky said, it's been very much like the AFL-NFL war. This and other signings were the equivalent of signing college stars under the goal posts after the Gator Bowl or Senior Bowl.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tim Martin

« Reply #347 on: December 08, 2023, 06:54:44 AM »
Tim Monahan is like school in June-All done. I’ll be surprised if he is still around as commissioner for the 2024 Masters.

David Federman

« Reply #348 on: December 08, 2023, 08:05:27 AM »
Almost a "no-brainer" for Rahm. He gets a ton of money, plays the LIV schedule, and is fully exempt into the US Open through 2031; the Masters until he is 65; the PGA and Open championships for 5 years. Plus, there is going to be a deal one way or the other which will likely allow LIV golfers to play on the PGA Tour.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #349 on: December 08, 2023, 08:48:51 AM »
When did taking the money stop being evil? Was it the day that the Rory said he could spend the money the “right way”?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back