News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Hines

Re: PGA to merge with LIV
« Reply #225 on: June 09, 2023, 04:49:39 PM »
I wish everyone would calm down and wait for the details of the agreement to come out before they make judgments.

Sorry Jim - No can do.  Instead we are going to drag domestic politics into this, turn up our noses and sneer at what a bunch of peasants each other's countries have become, etc.

In the end, just watch the Major tournaments that are not formally associated with the PGA or DP tours.

George Pazin

« Reply #226 on: June 09, 2023, 04:59:16 PM »
I wish everyone would calm down and wait for the details of the agreement to come out before they make judgments.

Sorry Jim - No can do.  Instead we are going to drag domestic politics into this, turn up our noses and sneer at what a bunch of peasants each other's countries have become, etc.

In the end, just watch the Major tournaments that are not formally associated with the PGA or DP tours.

:)  That's pretty much what I do. Thanks for that, Jason, I hope you're well.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Anthony Butler

« Reply #227 on: June 09, 2023, 05:48:17 PM »

As far as the shot at being "newsmax" - facts are just facts .. they might suck for you, but if you don't think his family is a mob, I don't know what to tell ya .. maybe the sky isn't blue ..

As the great Senator from New York, Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said: "You're entitled to your own opinion, not to your own facts..."

To that point, considering the events of the last 24 hours,  your post about the Biden 'crime family' aged about as well raw hamburger left out on a South Florida summer day...

Next!

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #228 on: June 09, 2023, 05:55:33 PM »

Mike Wagner

« Reply #229 on: June 09, 2023, 07:09:34 PM »

As far as the shot at being "newsmax" - facts are just facts .. they might suck for you, but if you don't think his family is a mob, I don't know what to tell ya .. maybe the sky isn't blue ..

As the great Senator from New York, Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said: "You're entitled to your own opinion, not to your own facts..."

To that point, considering the events of the last 24 hours,  your post about the Biden 'crime family' aged about as well raw hamburger left out on a South Florida summer day...

Believe what you want, Anthony .. I wish you well.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #230 on: June 09, 2023, 07:33:13 PM »
I don’t believe this has been posted.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/jimmy-dunne-the-architect-of-the-pga-tour-liv-golf-deal-lays-out-the-details

Best and most succinct explanation I’ve seen to date on what just transpired.

The LIV guys are not going to like how this ends up.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #231 on: June 09, 2023, 07:56:08 PM »
I still think the PGA Tour Players will bargain collectively for their pound of flesh
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kalen Braley

« Reply #232 on: June 09, 2023, 08:13:44 PM »
I still think the PGA Tour Players will bargain collectively for their pound of flesh

Cary,

While I'd like to think that, most of the players (the non big names) effectively have no bargaining power.  And the suits will talk the game for awhile but at the end of the day I suspect they'll be told to accept it or go pound sand if they don't like it....  especially now that they really have nowhere else to go.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #233 on: June 09, 2023, 09:05:25 PM »
George, you can wait and be as moderate as you wish. That will not change the fact that the Saudi's are human rights violators and murderous thugs.   The PGA has no spine.

If you are dialing things up. Sounds similar to past US behaviour. People in glass houses....

Ciao

Yes and thanks to the UK for allowing the Lockerbie bomber to to go back home to a heroes welcome for killing college students and others flying home from  a semester abroad. Talk about glass houses. Pretty sure we have all made mistakes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 09:08:26 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

David Cronan

« Reply #234 on: June 10, 2023, 09:49:48 AM »
Well this is certainly an interesting take, courtesy of Bryson DeChambeau: In light of this new proposed arrangement, Bryson believes that "9/11 families should forgive Saudi Arabia..... because nobody is perfect."

He also calls the killing of Jamal Khashoggi "unfortunate."

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/liv-golfs-bryson-dechambeau-suggests-9/11-families-should-forgive-saudi-arabia-nobodys-perfect

Carl Rogers

« Reply #235 on: June 10, 2023, 10:57:39 AM »
The LIV Golfers should donate all their upfront $ to first tee & junior golf programs as their price get back to the Tour.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Thomas Dai

« Reply #236 on: June 10, 2023, 05:26:15 PM »
Watching the presentation at the end of the Champions League Final was a reminder that in sports the players may play but just like in golf it’s the folks wearing the suits and blazers or the equivalent who hand over the prizes and ultimately the money.
Atb

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #237 on: June 10, 2023, 06:49:03 PM »
This is freeing up Harry Higgs. Takes the villain monkey off his back. Just picked him up at +250 to finish top 40 this week in Canadian Open.

Not everything on this thread is jibberish.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #238 on: June 10, 2023, 07:43:11 PM »
Seems to me the big winner is Greg Norman. He got the world tour he always wanted.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Ken Moum

« Reply #239 on: June 10, 2023, 07:44:59 PM »
This is freeing up Harry Higgs. Takes the villain monkey off his back. Just picked him up at +250 to finish top 40 this week in Canadian Open.

T2 baby...

Not everything on this thread is jibberish.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tim Leahy

« Reply #240 on: June 10, 2023, 07:52:46 PM »
Well this is certainly an interesting take, courtesy of Bryson DeChambeau: In light of this new proposed arrangement, Bryson believes that "9/11 families should forgive Saudi Arabia..... because nobody is perfect."

He also calls the killing of Jamal Khashoggi "unfortunate."

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/liv-golfs-bryson-dechambeau-suggests-9/11-families-should-forgive-saudi-arabia-nobodys-perfect
Bryson is from Fresno. He lived a good part of his life downwind from manure and pesticides. ::)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2023, 06:02:47 AM »
The background to the oil industry and golf in Saudi Arabia is worth pondering. Here’s a tidbit courtesy of Aramco - https://www.aramcolife.com/en/publications/the-arabian-sun/articles/2021/week-06/golf-history
Interesting history Aramco, ie once formally titled the Arabian-American Oil Company, going all the way back to Standard Oil and the California-Arabian Oil Co in the 1920’s/30’ and a cast of various characters over the decades including the likes of Esso, Texaco, Chevron, Mobil and no doubt a few governments, politicians and deal makers etc.
Wheels turn in circles?
Atb
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 06:21:57 AM by Thomas Dai »

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #242 on: June 11, 2023, 07:56:19 AM »
Seems to me the big winner is Greg Norman. He got the world tour he always wanted.
How do you figure? There's still the PGA Tour, and the DPWT. The PGA Tour isn't going to suddenly travel across the globe holding events.

I see Greg as, yet again, a loser in this. He wasn't even told of this until literally moments before everyone else learned about it.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #243 on: June 11, 2023, 01:44:25 PM »
Frankly, I think the combination of The PGA Tour, DP Tour & LIV will bring professional golf to something akin to what now occurs in World Football (soccer).  There will be Tour swings of the combined Tours that will be in Europe, North America & Australia where citizens of these countries will get to see the best golfers in the world compete.

The Tour competition, outside the The Majors, may be stroke play, it may be match play, it may be team play (four ball, foursome's, or scramble) or a combination of all; which grows the game.  The younger generation like to play golf to music, enjoy watching & playing in team events and perceived fun & interaction with the players & fans.

PS: The purses for the participants will be significantly higher as well.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #244 on: June 11, 2023, 01:54:58 PM »
    What does ”grows the game” actually mean? More money for the pros? More amateurs playing the game? More golf courses being built?  I think it’s just a nice sounding phrase with no real meaning.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #245 on: June 11, 2023, 02:36:34 PM »
More money for the pros?
When Jay, LIV, PGA Tour players say it… this. Unfortunately.

More amateurs playing the game? More golf courses being built?
When we say it, generally… this.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #246 on: June 11, 2023, 02:51:47 PM »

As an aside, I'll take this opportunity to plug The Prize by Yergin as an amazing read, covering much of what's mentioned below.

The background to the oil industry and golf in Saudi Arabia is worth pondering. Here’s a tidbit courtesy of Aramco - https://www.aramcolife.com/en/publications/the-arabian-sun/articles/2021/week-06/golf-history
Interesting history Aramco, ie once formally titled the Arabian-American Oil Company, going all the way back to Standard Oil and the California-Arabian Oil Co in the 1920’s/30’ and a cast of various characters over the decades including the likes of Esso, Texaco, Chevron, Mobil and no doubt a few governments, politicians and deal makers etc.
Wheels turn in circles?
Atb

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #247 on: June 11, 2023, 11:17:07 PM »
I'm curious with all your anti-Trump posts ... how do you feel about the current president that has a very difficult time actually completing a sentence, a thought, or keeping his balance, and has taken money from our enemies for himself and his family?
On the other side of the pond we read nonsense like this and wonder how on Earth a once great democracy has fallen so far.
Haven't the Saudis bought up more of Europe, especially the UK and big chunks of London.  Plus Newcastle FC.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #248 on: June 12, 2023, 02:37:03 AM »

Yes and thanks to the UK for allowing the Lockerbie bomber to to go back home to a heroes welcome for killing college students and others flying home from  a semester abroad. Talk about glass houses. Pretty sure we have all made mistakes.

Not the UK, but Scotland.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #249 on: June 12, 2023, 02:39:26 AM »
Frankly, I think the combination of The PGA Tour, DP Tour & LIV will bring professional golf to something akin to what now occurs in World Football (soccer). 

More like the NFL, MLB, NBA.

American based with a once a year jolly overseas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back