News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stephen Northrup

Tom Coyne is operating and perhaps will be purchasing Sullivan County GC:

https://twitter.com/coynewriter/status/1654825415448449024?s=61&t=kuEcO16h1wTTO9Gpbrqcyg

Cal Seifert

Re: Sullivan County GC (Liberty, NY) — new operator/owner
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 08:22:57 PM »
45 mins from the King Collins designed Inness course. Looks like it would be a fun 18 hole day. I always love little 9 hole hidden gems and if Tom Coyne endorses it, I'd say its worth a visit.

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 10:36:50 PM »
 I can confirm the bones are there.

Hopefully some good pics tomorrow-though posting them is miles beyond my pay grade
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 03:07:19 PM »
I drive thru and stop at the Liberty diner on my way to LI. There is not a whole lot in that area. Trout fishing I think.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 10:01:39 PM »
I can confirm the bones are there.

Hopefully some good pics tomorrow-though posting them is miles beyond my pay grade

Here's a link to Jeff's photos of Sullivan County GC: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72177720308228920  Jeff will add commentary on this thread  in the coming days. The album contains photos taken from the tees, on approaches and of the greens for each  of the nine holes.

Below are a few examples.

Sullivan County #1 

Sullivan County #2 

Sullivan County #3 

Sullivan County #3 c 

Sullivan County #4 

Sullivan County #5 

Sullivan County #6   

Sullivan County #7

Sullivan County #8 

Sullivan County #9 

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 11:19:46 PM »

Below is a link to some "in season' photos from 2022.

The photos I took in the above thread are from last week.
They got hammered with 5 inches of rain the week before I was there and hadn't been able to get mowers on fairways other than in some high spots near greens.
They were beginning to mow fairways as I was finishing my round Tuesday AM.
I also played Monday night late.

It was such a beautiful day and setting that I really failed to notice how lush and long the fairway grass was, and quite frankly it was pure joy to play off grass(and the odd dandelion) rather than the latest  tightest strain of super low cut modern grass over maintained into submission to a point where aerial options are eliminated or reserved for only the most elite and highly maintained short games.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HEVbZ2kd5GsY5jTX6
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 11:30:56 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 09:45:40 AM »
Thanks for the photos both of you, there is some very appealing contour there!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

John Blain

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 11:13:00 AM »

They got hammered with 5 inches of rain the week before I was there and hadn't been able to get mowers on fairways other than in some high spots near greens.

It was such a beautiful day and setting that I really failed to notice how lush and long the fairway grass was, and quite frankly it was pure joy to play off grass(and the odd dandelion) rather than the latest  tightest strain of super low cut modern grass over maintained into submission to a point where aerial options are eliminated or reserved for only the most elite and highly maintained short games.

Jeff-
I hear you on the fairway cut. I played a course in New York last week where the fairways were shaved down like kitchen floors and the greens were running about 2 feet faster than they were designed for. Was it fun? If I'm being honest no, not really and the members are paying for the privilege.
I know people think I'm crazy, but I swear there are so many clubs where the higher the maintenance budget, the less enjoyable playing conditions are.  So many courses are being maintained to the extreme but does the average member really enjoy it? I think not.
Garrett Boddington who was (and maybe still is) the superintendent at Sebonack on L.I. had one of the great quotes of all-time. He said: "It is amazing how much more enjoyable the game would be and how much less expensive it would be if you simply raised the height of the mower."

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 01:46:43 PM »

Jeff-
I hear you on the fairway cut. I played a course in New York last week where the fairways were shaved down like kitchen floors and the greens were running about 2 feet faster than they were designed for. Was it fun? If I'm being honest no, not really and the members are paying for the privilege.
I know people think I'm crazy, but I swear there are so many clubs where the higher the maintenance budget, the less enjoyable playing conditions are.  So many courses are being maintained to the extreme but does the average member really enjoy it? I think not.
Garrett Boddington who was (and maybe still is) the superintendent at Sebonack on L.I. had one of the great quotes of all-time. He said: "It is amazing how much more enjoyable the game would be and how much less expensive it would be if you simply raised the height of the mower."

Or as Dave G.Longtime pro at Noyak and my pro-pro partner used to say...
"The MORE money you pay for golf...the LESS grass you get to hit off of"

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2023, 08:04:50 AM »
Feeling like my nerves aren't good enough to hit any club but putter from the fairway 50 yards and in is not great fun.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Blain

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 09:24:10 AM »
Feeling like my nerves aren't good enough to hit any club but putter from the fairway 50 yards and in is not great fun.
Same here, Mike. When I was younger I didn't really understand why some players were putting from miles away. Now I know why ;)
And you are correct, it is not much fun.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 09:31:05 AM »
By "nerves," do you mean your current ability?
50-110 yd. putts are the MOST fun whether or not you deem them "puttable."

MCirba

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 09:51:18 AM »
By "nerves," do you mean your current ability?
50-110 yd. putts are the MOST fun whether or not you deem them "puttable."

I love to use the putter when I choose to, not because I have no other feasible choice.   ;)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2024, 10:25:55 PM »
I made it up to Sullivan County Golf Club this morning and was the first one out. Unfortunately only six holes were available to play as holes 2,3 and 4 are closed for renovation. They are also doing significant tree removal. There are four sets of tees. We went around twice playing from the back tees (6100 yards) the first time around, and the most forward tees (less than 4500 yards even though the card says 4794) the second time around. To do otherwise would have made the holes play almost  the same both times around. $25 to walk 12 holes. We arrived before the course was open for the day, but they have an honor box, which we didn't need to use as someone arrived to open the shop as we were putting our clubs on our trolleys.

The fairways  were cut much shorter than when Jeff played here last year. Of the six holes we played, five had very generous fairways. The exception was #5 which was pretty narrow with a stream running down the left side, and which was the only flat hole of the six. There is significant elevation change on the other five holes we played, requiring precision approaches. The downhill approaches on #1 and #7 were fun shots.

Sullivan County CC #1

Sullivan County CC #1

Sullivan County CC #7

It's a sporty course in a very tranquil setting that made me feel like I was stepping back in time.

They seem to be putting a lot of money into the course and amenities. In addition to the work on the course, they've built a new patio and barbeque/smoker and there will soon be a new Italian Restaurant on site, independent from the club I think. I was told that Tom Coyne is working on a book about his acquisition of the club, the renovation, history etc.

Here's a link to photos from today: [size=78%]https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72177720318020319/[/size]

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2024, 11:40:56 AM »
Update on course changes from Tom Coyne below. I hope to visit again when the work is done.:

Hello Sulivan County Golf Members,

I hope this note finds you well.  A few updates for you:

-- Construction by US Pitchcare is underway!  If you're wondering our plan: The overall vision is to add a driving range and putting course around the current 8th/9th holes. So we are adding some new amazing holes on better land (that drains better) to replace those holes.  Practice facilities are essential in teaching more folks in Liberty the game of golf, and growing our golfer base.  You can already see a new hole -- the new par 3 where you used to have to hike up the hill to 3 tee!  No more.  We've broken up that walk with what I think will be one of the most fun holes on the course.

-- You'll see a new green above the creek on current number 5.  You'll now be able to play that hole from either side of the creek!  Bunkers have been restored and some added -- the bunker above the fourth green is back!  And it now has one huge, flat tee with plenty of sun for growing grass.

-- Cart paths will be replaced throughout the property!  #2 is already done and you can see a great difference.

Thanks, as always, for your support of SCGC.
Tom Coyne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back