News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Do you ever root against someone?
« on: April 09, 2023, 05:23:55 PM »
Growing up I was instructed to never root against my opponent, just to play better than he does. In watching golf I try not to root against a player but sometimes it is hard to do, especially today.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

Re: Do you ever root against someone?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 05:26:22 PM »
Growing up I was instructed to never root against my opponent, just to play better than he does. In watching golf I try not to root against a player but sometimes it is hard to do, especially today.

I’m often apologizing for saying what I am thinking. So, yes.

Ken Moum

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 06:46:20 PM »
Being a bad person, I do it all the time. Often in a match...

I'm a little embarrassed sometimes but I really, really hate losing.

And I never do it openly.  So I have that going for me.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 06:57:21 PM »
Nicklaus started this crap because his opponents could play their best and he would still win.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 07:20:10 PM »
Yes against any LIV guy other than Cam Smith.At least Keopka wasn’t wearing LIV crap.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 07:31:01 PM »
Being a bad person, I do it all the time. Often in a match...

I'm a little embarrassed sometimes but I really, really hate losing.

And I never do it openly.  So I have that going for me.

Love the honesty. No shame in hating to lose as long as you comport yourself with grace. :)

Tim Leahy

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 07:46:52 PM »
Always pick someone or some team to root against. Almost always root for an American vs foreigner except today against LIV. Always rooted for anyone over fake Phil. Couldn't stand his fake smile and thumbs up crap.
3 of top 6 were LIV. Too bad they won't be seen in real tournaments until the next major they can sneak into. :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 07:55:31 PM »
Always pick someone or some team to root against. Almost always root for an American vs foreigner except today against LIV. Always rooted for anyone over fake Phil. Couldn't stand his fake smile and thumbs up crap.
3 of top 6 were LIV. Too bad they won't be seen in real tournaments until the next major they can sneak into. :o

Looking forward to spending a few days at Oakhill. Hopefully the weather is decent. The rough will be brutal.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 08:03:12 PM »

Looking forward to spending a few days at Oakhill. Hopefully the weather is decent. The rough will be brutal.

The 1989 U.S. Open and 2003 PGA were a contrast of design styles. I’m looking forward to seeing the course after Andrew Green’s work.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 08:18:06 PM by Tim Martin »

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 08:48:30 PM »
Sure. I always root against the Maple Leafs, Flyers, OSU and Notre Dame. Golfers are nowhere near important enough to bother routing against.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

archie_struthers

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2023, 09:02:34 PM »
 8) ;D

Wow, tough one .  Playing golf I generally try to ignore the other guys play and just try to shoot a score. I'm superstitious and it's bad karma to root against someone IMHO.  Kind of like saying you are putting great before the round is over. Almost guarantees a three putt is coming. You can think it, just don't say it aloud LOL

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2023, 09:33:18 PM »
For sure - the hardest I ever rooted against anyone was against Stewart Cink and he was always one of my favourite golfers.
And I always root against Patrick Reed, but pretty much everyone does.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2023, 09:41:01 PM »
Oops. Wrong thread.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Pat Burke

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2023, 10:42:18 PM »
As a Christian

Yes I do.  I need to be a better Christian.

But there are just a few guys I dont like

Peter Flory

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2023, 11:04:00 PM »
I don't really find myself rooting against any players in particular, but I do like to see an exciting finish (like 99% of fans).  So to that extent, I'm usually rooting for the players who are behind and hoping that they overtake the leader.  The only time I'll root for the leaders is when I feel like there is something historic happening (old player leading, an Am, a player like Tiger chasing history, etc).  I find it hard to get excited when guys like Scheffler or Rahm are just on cruise control.  I don't really have any favorite golfers, I just like interesting endgame situations. 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2023, 02:15:43 AM »

Funnily enough, watching and enjoying Phil being cheered through his back nine masterclass, I thought that this tournament could provide some sense of perspective to the whole LIV argument where people decide to just stop arguing / caring about manufacturing a fight.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2023, 06:45:53 AM »
I was rooting for Mickelson and Speith, would have been a great story book ending
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2023, 08:50:15 AM »
University of Notre Dame, Augusta National, and Clemson football fans.

Never individuals. I enjoy the competition more than any particular participants.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2023, 08:54:58 AM »
One of my favorites is when someone passes me on the highway at high speeds and I see flashing lights a couple of miles up the road. I always hope it’s the exact car that pissed me off.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2023, 09:32:10 AM »
I only root against people when I'm betting against them.. That's why I never bet on Patrick Reed.  :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 01:30:58 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2023, 09:35:57 AM »
   I’ve rooted against the Yankees my whole life. In the words of George Costanza, “Is that wrong?”.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2023, 07:20:07 PM »
Well, Reed, Mickelson and Koepka in the final round yesterday.  However, I was disappointed by high finishes (except Koepka's second instead of first helped soften the blow).

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2023, 09:01:40 PM »
   I’ve rooted against the Yankees my whole life. In the words of George Costanza, “Is that wrong?”.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. At all.

MKrohn

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2023, 10:45:58 PM »
Whilst the term rooting is not the same thing in Australia, I've generally "rooted" against the slow and the petulant.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back