News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: OT - All "Hale" Bernie Langer!
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2023, 08:02:01 AM »
I think Langer's performance in the Irish Open at Portmarnock in 1987 is one of the most impressive displays of golf I have ever seen. He absolutely destroyed the field, winning by 10 strokes and scored 269 (-19). Portmarnock was a 7100+ yards course even in those days.

While viewing the Masters on TV earlier this year, I was most impressed by his ability to play such a long course. He was hitting drives in the 260-290 yds range (not short for a man of his age, and probably longer than he hit in the 1980s) and on several occasions he was required to hit fairway wood approaches to the long par fours. It was no bother to him, he could routinely hit a green from 200-230 yards. 

Rob Marshall

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2023, 08:42:11 AM »
He’s in tremendous shape. Can’t imagine this will be his last win.

Does anyone know how his winning percentage compares to Irwin’s?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

MCirba

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2023, 09:27:20 AM »
He is a testament to physical conditioning and proper nutrition.   His Senior US Open victory over men 15 years younger than him is one of the greatest golfing achievements, ever, IMO.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2023, 12:34:26 PM »
In the Senior Open Championship he has 2 runners up and 4 wins. Remarkable.

The last two 2014 & 2017 were at Royal Porthcawl where it is being played later this month.

Sorry no time to comment further, I'm off down the bookies.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Steve Salmen

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2023, 01:49:12 PM »
I was visiting a friend last year and Bernhard Langer was on the range.  My friend and I watched him hit a few balls and went to the green to putt.  Five minutes after we started, Mr. Langer came over asked if he could join us in our contest.  We putted for 15 minutes or so, made small talk and then he left.  It was one of the highlights in my life as a golfer.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2023, 02:27:12 PM »
I met Bernhardt in about 2010 on a trip to the (then in-construction) Dunes course at Costa Navarino in Greece, where he was the signature designer. Two interesting little snippets. It was, I believe, the first time he'd seen the course in the flesh. I thought some of the bunkers were rather deep for a resort course, and said so to architect Ross McMurray of European Golf Design. "Bernd wants them even deeper!" he replied with a smile on his face.

Second, during that trip, the party, including me and Bernhardt and his brother (and I believe agent) Erwin, went for lunch in a nice beachside taverna, and I got chance to have a chat with the man. I mentioned to him that I had been at Fulford in York during the 1981 Benson and Hedges tournament, when he famously hit his ball into a tree, climbed up the tree and hit it out onto the green. I asked what his reaction had been when he saw where his ball was. His reply? "Well, at first obviously I was pretty unhappy, but then I took a look at it and thought 'I can still make par! I can climb up the tree and get up and down!'" And maybe that attitude explains why he has been so successful for so long.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Pat Burke

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2023, 08:40:33 PM »
Irwin and Langer were both very fit from younger days through their senior golf

Not a coincidence I’d assume :D

Jeff Schley

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2023, 04:45:42 AM »
I respect what he has done to keep himself at the top of his game. It isn’t easy and while many are focused on life off the course, he very much seems to focus on how to keep winning on the course. I think it was Mark Calcavechia who said the secret to winning on the Sr. Tour isn’t different than the regular tour, it is practice and preparation. The problem is most sr. Guys don’t want to do either after grinding for 25-30 years.

Have always enjoying watching 50 plus golfers compete in the majors.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Niall C

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2023, 08:11:55 AM »
I recall attending the last day of the Open at St Andrews in 1984. It's now remembered for Seve beating Watson and Seve doing his famous fist pump on the 18th after his birdie while Watson bogeyed the 17th playing directly behind him. What's forgotten is Langer, who was playing with Seve, finished joint second with Watson and of the three played the best golf tee to green but couldn't sink the putts. That's not to say he putted poorly - he didn't - but it was a day where more was required than solid two putts.

Niall

Steve Salmen

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2023, 10:30:37 AM »
That's not to say he putted poorly - he didn't - but it was a day where more was required than solid two putts.
[/size][/color]
[/size]This could have been written about Rory at the 2022 Open at St. Andrews.[/color]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back