News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

Re: “Angles Don’t Matter”
« Reply #300 on: March 06, 2023, 05:42:02 PM »
At the end of the day the "angles don't matter" Stagner/Broadie type of thought is based on large sample dynamic programming methodologies. A rough example of this:

Out of bounds = 2-strokes -

Decision - challenge the side of a fairway closer to the OOB in order to get a better angle into the green

>> Result = move your expected dispersion towards the side with the OB thus increasing the probability of going OOB to 20% instead of near zero (risk = expected strokes lost of -0.4) you would need to increase your probability of a getting one less (birdie) stroke by 40%. No angle is realistically incrementally improving your chances of birdie by 40%. 

If a fairway bunker is 3/4 of a stroke - then the angle would need to improve your chance of birdie by the increase of birdie percentage from the "correct angle" as opposed to the incorrect angle achieved by avoiding the bunker. I believe that the aggregate results being discussed herein are making the case that the increased birdie probability of chasing the correct angles just are not there compared to increasing the probability of incurring larger penalties associated with OOB, water, fairway bunkers and the like.

Are there cases where an angle can be worth an expected stroke value that is sufficiently? Ones I can think of are where you just can not hold the green from one of the alternatives due some combination of carry hazard, firmness, contrary slopes or the like.   

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #301 on: March 06, 2023, 08:13:04 PM »
After reading your posts, my opinion is that you are undervaluing the concept of dispersion and variance. My dispersion is so wide with a tee club that the only course of action is to aim for safety.
Yes. It's wide for nearly everyone. The only truly accurate players (in general)… are the shorter ones, because the ball doesn't travel far enough to get too far offline. And they're often less "accurate" as measured by degrees offline than better players. As measured by fairways hit, well, that's why the LPGA Tour has players who are "more accurate" than on the PGA Tour.

We are talking about SCORING. Not the experience or the fun or thrill. I hope architects never care about my or anyone else’s score.
Yes. I can tell someone to play Tobacco Road in the most boring, strategically sound way… but if they want to go for the green on 11 with a 5I in their hands for the one-in-50 chance of pulling it off… cool. Good for them, and I hope they beat the odds, because they'll remember that shot for a long time. Or however long it takes them to get out of the bunker 30 feet deep and short, whichever comes first.  ;)

When Jeff posted the criteria several pages ago, it didn't take into account holes that had water hazards, par 5s, or even par 3s where you may set up one side of the tee box or the other.
Let's dispense with the "one side of the tee box or the other." Yes, people will say they "feel" more comfortable over the shot, but there's no evidence to suggest that players actually score differently by changing the angle they have to a green by about a minute's worth on a clock.

I did some preliminary work on this once. Not enough to be statistically significant (I got to like 50 shots, while I'd want to have about 150+ personally), but there was basically no scoring difference. The angle isn't often big enough anyway. Yeah, people feel a bit better, but… it didn't result in anything. So until you have actual data here, you're just saying stuff that people "feel" like should be true without really knowing if it is or not.

Ira brought up the 11th at Augusta. There's water there. Would you care to take a stab at the results there? Go back to page 11 for the graphic. What are your guesses?

And there certainly wasn't any controls that factored in weather, fairway slopes, preferred shot shapes, particular weakness or strengths of ones game, etc.
Because those things come out in the wash. If a golfer fades the ball, and he "tends to miss right more than he misses left" as was said (IIRC)… then he's already giving shots away, because he should be looking to center his distribution pattern, and THAT would be his aiming point. If he consistently aims to fade it 5 yards and fades it between 3 and 25… then he's just being kinda dumb, no?

And the emphasis on scoring has been all one sided, about making a good score with par or better, and forgetting about mitigating risk in trying to avoid worse than bogey.
No no no. It's far closer to the opposite of what you've said than that. Proper strategy lowers scores not by having the 15-handicapper make more birdies and pars, but by making fewer bogeys and doubles. How? By saying "no, don't challenge that bunker. Aim about 30 yards away from it, or more, because there's no real trouble over there."

The water or OB is the other head scratcher because there is nothing else on a course that makes me chase angles harder than playing to a best spot to avoid penalty strokes.
Not sure what you mean here. Hitting away from OB isn't "chasing angles." You're just hitting away from a penalty — you're not hitting it so you have a good "angle" to the green or your layup on a par five or whatever.

Are there cases where an angle can be worth an expected stroke value that is sufficiently?
Yep, pretty much. That's how this strategy stuff works.

And as I've said, we can talk about generalities, but we advise players on things that fit them. Some have smaller dispersions with their drivers. Or some are really good with wedges. Some pull their wedges more often than they realize, so they need to actually shift their aim so that their distribution is centered over where it should be, etc.

Here's the thing that some have mentioned, too… but not enough: 95% of golfers (or more) aren't considering any of this stuff when they play golf. So to those of you trying to discard shots and data because it doesn't match whatever new criteria you set up (and by the way, Arccos does know wind direction/strength, temperature, etc. in the area at the time shots were hit)… have to realize that most of the data isn't being played by people "chasing angles" anyway. That doesn't make it any less valid; the opposite. If the left side of the fairway on a certain hole was actually the "better angle," then millions of golfers would unwillingly and unwittingly be scoring better from there. Who cares where they TRIED to hit it - the fact is they ended up hitting from what is supposed to be the "better angle." And yet no data supports that they actually score better from there.

When we consult with a player we often consult more with the caddies, because they're the ones who can help their players gain a shot or two over time, by knowing this stuff. The players often just want to understand the over-view, to understand that we know what we're talking about, and then most of them just put it on the caddie to tell them where to aim. So, we work with a LOT of caddies to actually understand and know this stuff. The caddies are the ones writing everything down, and choosing where a player aims, etc. It's on him to know the system, most often, and the player to hit the shot. It's also on them to know how to adjust strategies when you're no longer playing for the "lowest average score." i.e. late Friday when you're two outside the cut line, late Sunday when you have a chance for a top-ten finish (and the potential T6 outweighs potentially falling from 12th to 18th…), etc.

Here's where I land on this…
- I (and Lou, and Scott, and Mark) have shared data showing that angles don't often matter.
- The other side has shared anecdotes and tried to discount what the data shows, but doesn't have any of their own data.

I believe the latter is true largely because… there's not really data out there supporting "angles matter as often as y'all think." I've looked. I haven't seen it. And I didn't go into it with an assumption. Hell, the data about how far away from the flag golfers should aim from as little as 70 yards surprised the heck out of me back in 2013/2014.

-------

That's much too long, and I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to read it. I'll leave y'all to this thread, for the most part, as I'm headed south to play a little golf.  :)
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #302 on: March 07, 2023, 06:51:28 AM »
This is fairly representative of amateur dispersion…  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsMZJBiWMyM
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #303 on: March 07, 2023, 09:56:32 AM »
I hadn't realized that they added the walkway behind the green.  It kind of ruins the "purity" of the island green concept, but it is absolutely necessary to spread wear out from the original narrow walk on.  I would never do more than a peninsula green to maintain the wide of the walk up that is necessary to spread wear.  And, I always wondered why big time architects never seemed to worry about that.  My public clients would crucify me if I attempted something like that.  This confirms my long held suspicion/belief that if it can't be maintained easily, it will eventually be changed.

Ah...to bring it back to the topic.....angles do matter when you are considering circulation on and off a green........ ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike Bodo

« Reply #304 on: March 07, 2023, 10:36:04 AM »
If you look at the difference in what happened for a player who shot 88 one day and 94 the next, I can almost guarantee the story is found not in pars or birds, but how many doubles or worse did they take.
Agree 100%. My own game speaks to this. Doubles and triples are round killers. One per round or perhaps per side you can get away with, depending on the number of pars and birdies made to offset them.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Tim Martin

« Reply #305 on: March 07, 2023, 10:55:30 AM »
If you look at the difference in what happened for a player who shot 88 one day and 94 the next, I can almost guarantee the story is found not in pars or birds, but how many doubles or worse did they take.
Agree 100%. My own game speaks to this. Doubles and triples are round killers. One per round or perhaps per side you can get away with, depending on the number of pars and birdies made to offset them.

Mike-It’s always rung true for me that if I can limit the doubles to one a side I’ve at least got a chance to shoot a decent score.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #306 on: March 07, 2023, 12:58:55 PM »
I hadn't realized that they added the walkway behind the green.
I think it's temporary to reduce wear and tear on the grass prior to the Players this week.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #307 on: March 07, 2023, 01:48:08 PM »
Could someone please speak as they might to a small child or a golden retriever and explain how the following individual factors may influence the impact a shot's angle of approach will have on a player's scoring potential for any given hole?

Ball Flight:
  • Decent Angle
  • Spin
  • Shot Shape
Ground Conditions At Shot Landing Site:
  • Firmness
  • Grass Height
  • Slope
  • Moisture
  • Hazard Proximity
Player Characteristics:
  • Consistency
  • Aggressiveness
If these factors have little to no influence, please explain why. If there are other factors that have greater influence, please elaborate on them as well.
I apologize for sounding like a broken record, but I'd like to press on this question once more.
If there is a preponderance of data that supports the hypothesis "angles don't matter" it would seem a requirement to validate said hypothesis would be the quantitative understanding of the individual factors related to play and their significance related to angles and scoring.

I've taken a stab and listed out the factors expected to have some level of significance on scoring and angles. Can anyone who has a greater understanding of the data collected speak to what factors are significant, and by how much? Or, speak to why these factors are not significant?

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #308 on: June 07, 2024, 08:14:43 AM »
This piece by Joseph Lamanga appeared in today's The Fried Egg newsletter, discussing Brandel Chamblee's conclusion that angles don't matter very much.

WHAT'S BRANDEL'S ANGLE?
On Wednesday, No Laying Up released a podcast with Golf Channel and NBC analyst Brandel Chamblee. Throughout the conversation, Chamblee explains his position on distance, the irrelevance of angles, rough as a necessary ingredient to challenge the best golfers in the world, and more. While I agree with some of what Brandel had to say, I strongly disagree with a few of the most fundamental points he expressed on the podcast.

A little over 30 minutes in, Chamblee states that “if you give players the better angle into a hole location versus on the other side of the fairway where they have the worst angle, at every single distance, the worst angle, on average, scores better than the one with the best angle on tour.” I have no idea what data Brandel was fed to reach this conclusion, and I’m skeptical that he could explain how these calculations are derived, but his claim runs counter to any data I’ve ever seen or analyzed. Brandel should be pressed for more details on how he reached this conclusion.

I tried to roughly recreate the calculation Brandel references based on his description in the podcast. I pulled some shots, limiting the data set to second shots from fairway lies on par 4s longer than 400 yards. I defined a “Good Angle” as a shot from the right side of the fairway to a left pin or a shot from the left side of the fairway to a right pin, per Brandel’s wording. Here are the results:
The numbers show that there is neither advantage or disadvantage to having Brandel’s definition of an advantageous angle. I am highly skeptical of the data Brandel saw to conclude that players score worse from a better angle, and assertions like that should be scrutinized. Not all data-driven insights are correct, after all. The data-driven insights I provide should be challenged, too.
Nevertheless, the data I’ve provided seems to back up Brandel’s central claim that angles don’t matter. However, the above definition is a pretty imprecise way to classify angles. We should try to get more precise when possible. Fortunately, I have data from an analysis I did a couple of years ago that paints a better picture of the value of angles. For every shot, I calculated how many feet of green there were between the approach shot location and the flag on a direct line. Instead of simply considering a shot from the right side of the fairway to a left flag as a “good angle,” this analysis considers a shot with ample feet of green to work with as a “good angle.” I’d contend that this is a better (albeit more complicated) definition of a good angle.

The data showed that under this definition, there is virtually zero benefit to having a good angle from wedge distances in the fairway. This result makes sense, as professional golfers are consistently able to stop shots on the green immediately from the fairway with a short iron in hand. However, for shots with longer irons (180-250 yards), the data showed between a 0.10 and 0.15 stroke advantage in having ample green with which to work.

These results are intuitive: the more a golf ball bounces and rolls, the more having an advantageous angle matters. In professional golf, tour players hit the ball so high and with enough spin that angles rarely matter, a reality exacerbated by the ever-increasing distances at which players hit the golf ball resulting in shorter approach distances.

So do angles matter? Yes, just not very much. They’d matter more after a significant rollback, but even under those conditions, I agree with Brandel’s argument that golfers should not take on risk to hunt advantageous angles. Pursuing lines of charm at the risk of finding rough or a penalty hazard is not worth the marginal benefit of a good angle.

Thus, Brandel concludes, the best and only way to challenge a professional golfer is with thick rough. He goes on to ponder whether we want rough that produces a penalty of 0.3 strokes, or 0.4, or maybe even 0.6? The underlying assumption, one that Chris more or less affirms, is that the combination of fairway width and rough length are the only variables that dictate how much a golfer is rewarded for driving the ball accurately, which is just not the case. All elements of a golf course design must work in concert to produce a holistic test for professional golfers, as I wrote about earlier in the week in a free public post on how Muirfield Village rewards driving accuracy. For reference, finding the rough at Memorial is typically about a 0.45 stroke penalty, which isn’t solely due to the length of the rough, as outlined in that piece.

To understand how driving accuracy is tested, one must consider the entire design and strategy of a golf hole, not just look at the length of rough. When Brandel says within the podcast that this is a “setup conversation more than an architecture discussion,” he implicitly dismisses the importance of design, which is a crucial component in any test of top players. It also may explain why he continues to insist that we should all marvel at how straight Bryson DeChambeau drives the golf ball, an assertion that falls apart when you dig into which courses Bryson has succeeded on and which courses have given him trouble. Spoiler: he tends to do well on golf courses with thick rough and narrow fairways that fail to punish wide misses, because contrary to Chamblee’s claims, those golf courses don’t always equate to rewarding driving accuracy.

One last but important point: all of the data upon which Brandel Chamblee and I are basing our findings is PGA Tour data. The data comes from PGA Tour courses, many of which are soft, feature 33-yard wide fairways, and are played with wedges in hand. If every data point in the data set were with a five iron into firm greens on 80-yard wide fairways downwind, the value of angles might show up in the data a little bit differently.

I don’t disagree with everything Brandel said. In some ways, much of what I’ve argued within this piece isn’t that far off from many of his assertions. But the ways in which Brandel should be challenged have important implications. Thick rough is not the only way to test professional golfers. Often, in fact, thick rough fails to adequately test professional golfers (see Valhalla Golf Club). Meanwhile, some of the best tests in professional golf (see Augusta National) don’t rely on thick rough to test the skill and strategy of the best players in the world. Thick rough isn’t the only way to reward accuracy, but to fully embrace that, you’d need to put some effort into understanding golf course design.

Be careful going too far down that path, though. You might end up concluding that architecture matters, and that the game board upon which the sport is played would benefit from a rollback.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #309 on: June 07, 2024, 08:28:14 AM »
   If angles don’t matter, why did Nicklaus move the tee on 16 at Muirfield Village 25 yards to the right at the urging of the players?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 09:37:31 AM by Jim_Coleman »

Sean_A

« Reply #310 on: June 07, 2024, 08:56:05 AM »
This piece by Joseph Lamanga appeared in today's The Fried Egg newsletter, discussing Brandel Chamblee's conclusion that angles don't matter very much.
                                                             WHAT'S BRANDEL'S ANGLE?
On Wednesday, No Laying Up released a podcast with Golf Channel and NBC analyst Brandel Chamblee. Throughout the conversation, Chamblee explains his position on distance, the irrelevance of angles, rough as a necessary ingredient to challenge the best golfers in the world, and more. While I agree with some of what Brandel had to say, I strongly disagree with a few of the most fundamental points he expressed on the podcast.

A little over 30 minutes in, Chamblee states that “if you give players the better angle into a hole location versus on the other side of the fairway where they have the worst angle, at every single distance, the worst angle, on average, scores better than the one with the best angle on tour.” I have no idea what data Brandel was fed to reach this conclusion, and I’m skeptical that he could explain how these calculations are derived, but his claim runs counter to any data I’ve ever seen or analyzed. Brandel should be pressed for more details on how he reached this conclusion.

I tried to roughly recreate the calculation Brandel references based on his description in the podcast. I pulled some shots, limiting the data set to second shots from fairway lies on par 4s longer than 400 yards. I defined a “Good Angle” as a shot from the right side of the fairway to a left pin or a shot from the left side of the fairway to a right pin, per Brandel’s wording. Here are the results:
The numbers show that there is neither advantage or disadvantage to having Brandel’s definition of an advantageous angle. I am highly skeptical of the data Brandel saw to conclude that players score worse from a better angle, and assertions like that should be scrutinized. Not all data-driven insights are correct, after all. The data-driven insights I provide should be challenged, too.
Nevertheless, the data I’ve provided seems to back up Brandel’s central claim that angles don’t matter. However, the above definition is a pretty imprecise way to classify angles. We should try to get more precise when possible. Fortunately, I have data from an analysis I did a couple of years ago that paints a better picture of the value of angles. For every shot, I calculated how many feet of green there were between the approach shot location and the flag on a direct line. Instead of simply considering a shot from the right side of the fairway to a left flag as a “good angle,” this analysis considers a shot with ample feet of green to work with as a “good angle.” I’d contend that this is a better (albeit more complicated) definition of a good angle.

The data showed that under this definition, there is virtually zero benefit to having a good angle from wedge distances in the fairway. This result makes sense, as professional golfers are consistently able to stop shots on the green immediately from the fairway with a short iron in hand. However, for shots with longer irons (180-250 yards), the data showed between a 0.10 and 0.15 stroke advantage in having ample green with which to work.

These results are intuitive: the more a golf ball bounces and rolls, the more having an advantageous angle matters. In professional golf, tour players hit the ball so high and with enough spin that angles rarely matter, a reality exacerbated by the ever-increasing distances at which players hit the golf ball resulting in shorter approach distances.

So do angles matter? Yes, just not very much. They’d matter more after a significant rollback, but even under those conditions, I agree with Brandel’s argument that golfers should not take on risk to hunt advantageous angles. Pursuing lines of charm at the risk of finding rough or a penalty hazard is not worth the marginal benefit of a good angle.

Thus, Brandel concludes, the best and only way to challenge a professional golfer is with thick rough. He goes on to ponder whether we want rough that produces a penalty of 0.3 strokes, or 0.4, or maybe even 0.6? The underlying assumption, one that Chris more or less affirms, is that the combination of fairway width and rough length are the only variables that dictate how much a golfer is rewarded for driving the ball accurately, which is just not the case. All elements of a golf course design must work in concert to produce a holistic test for professional golfers, as I wrote about earlier in the week in a free public post on how Muirfield Village rewards driving accuracy. For reference, finding the rough at Memorial is typically about a 0.45 stroke penalty, which isn’t solely due to the length of the rough, as outlined in that piece.

To understand how driving accuracy is tested, one must consider the entire design and strategy of a golf hole, not just look at the length of rough. When Brandel says within the podcast that this is a “setup conversation more than an architecture discussion,” he implicitly dismisses the importance of design, which is a crucial component in any test of top players. It also may explain why he continues to insist that we should all marvel at how straight Bryson DeChambeau drives the golf ball, an assertion that falls apart when you dig into which courses Bryson has succeeded on and which courses have given him trouble. Spoiler: he tends to do well on golf courses with thick rough and narrow fairways that fail to punish wide misses, because contrary to Chamblee’s claims, those golf courses don’t always equate to rewarding driving accuracy.

One last but important point: all of the data upon which Brandel Chamblee and I are basing our findings is PGA Tour data. The data comes from PGA Tour courses, many of which are soft, feature 33-yard wide fairways, and are played with wedges in hand. If every data point in the data set were with a five iron into firm greens on 80-yard wide fairways downwind, the value of angles might show up in the data a little bit differently.

I don’t disagree with everything Brandel said. In some ways, much of what I’ve argued within this piece isn’t that far off from many of his assertions. But the ways in which Brandel should be challenged have important implications. Thick rough is not the only way to test professional golfers. Often, in fact, thick rough fails to adequately test professional golfers (see Valhalla Golf Club). Meanwhile, some of the best tests in professional golf (see Augusta National) don’t rely on thick rough to test the skill and strategy of the best players in the world. Thick rough isn’t the only way to reward accuracy, but to fully embrace that, you’d need to put some effort into understanding golf course design.

Be careful going too far down that path, though. You might end up concluding that architecture matters, and that the game board upon which the sport is played would benefit from a rollback.

While I tend to agree that angles matter much less for the best players. I disagree that rough is the only way to challenge the best. First, I have no context for “challenge”. What does this mean for the best players? Second, how do we explain Pinehurst 2? Maybe it doesn’t meet the challenge criteria, but I think the best often falter at #2 and it’s not due to rough. The fairways are a bit wider than “traditional” US Open setups and the rough more forgiving.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 08:57:41 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Michael Felton

« Reply #311 on: June 07, 2024, 09:09:33 AM »
Interesting post Stewart. One thing to contemplate I think is how target changes with the "good" vs "bad" angle. Let's suppose you have a hole cut four yards from the left side of the green and the green slopes down from the left side to the flag, but then is fairly flat at the hole. The ground is relatively firm, such that a wedge shot will roll out a little if it lands on a flat bit of green from the fairway. If you're on the left side of that fairway, your target might be 12 feet right of the flag. Let's suppose further that your shot pattern is about 20 yards wide at the distance you're hitting from (ten left and ten right). You'll miss a small handful of shots left of the green, some that land left edge will bounce towards the hole, most will end up between the hole and 25 feet right of it and a handful of shots will end up well to the right, but hopefully on the green.

Now take the same player, same distance, but from the right side of the green. He's got the better angle, so he aims only 3 feet right of the flag. A lot of his shots are going to end up closer than they would have with the wider target, but he's also now bringing the left miss into play. And those left misses are now downhill, short-sided, really tough to get up and down. The left misses offset the safer shots out to the right and it winds up being about a wash.

In short, the "better" angle makes people play more aggressively and lose a few shots as a result. If you play the same amount out to the right as you did from the worse side, then you haven't gained anything from having the better angle.

That's not to say that you can't come up with a situation where you're definitely better off playing from the "good" side than the "bad" side, but I'm guessing that those are few and far between and those get lost in Lou's 600 million shot dataset.

Michael Felton

« Reply #312 on: June 07, 2024, 09:11:42 AM »
While tend to agree that angles matter much less for the best players. I disagree that rough is the only way to challenge the best. First, I have no context for “challenge”. What does this mean for the best players? Second, how do we explain Pinehurst 2? Maybe it doesn’t meet the challenge criteria, but I think the best often falter at #2 and it’s not due to rough. The fairways are a bit wider than “traditional” US Open setups and the rough more forgiving.

Ciao

I think the thing the pros find the hardest to handle is distance from the hole. More so than rough or bunkers. Pinehurst 2 is very good at putting distance between the ball and the hole on less than perfect shots.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #313 on: June 07, 2024, 03:32:45 PM »
Not all data-driven insights are correct, after all...

So do angles matter? Yes, just not very much...

When Brandel says within the podcast that this is a “setup conversation more than an architecture discussion,” he implicitly dismisses the importance of design, which is a crucial component in any test of top players...

One last but important point: all of the data upon which Brandel Chamblee and I are basing our findings is PGA Tour data.

So, I think Joseph LaMagna, here, has touched on some really interesting points that I think I can help formalize a bit. Any purely data-collected theories are a form of empiricism. Chamblee is giving a post-hoc analysis of the data, which, all things equal, can be really helpful. However, golf does not exist in a state of natural evolution. It is a closed, designed system. Because of this, and this is where i get extremely heady, it is extremely sensitive to Soros's (yes that Soros) theory of market-reflexivity. Bear with me but here's a relevant paragraph from Soros's writing:

The concept of reflexivity needs a little more explication. It applies exclusively to situations that have thinking participants. The participants’ thinking serves two functions. One is to understand the world in which we live; I call this the cognitive function. The other is to change the situation to our advantage. I call this the participating or manipulative function. The two functions connect thinking and reality in opposite directions. In the cognitive function, reality is supposed to determine the participants’ views; the direction of causation is from the world to the mind. By contrast, in the manipulative function, the direction of causation is from the mind to the world, that is to say, the intentions of the participants have an effect on the world. When both functions operate at the same time they can interfere with each other.

FT Article [PDF]

When we act from an empirical perspective, we see optimal strategies in the world only as we see it at the time. The players are taking their existing technology and applying it to the courses as they were, looking at past data and optimizing their strategies. However, course designers are architects are seeing these strategies, and are optimizing their courses themselves in reaction to these optimized strategies. When these two groups are acting at the same time, they interfere with each other's ability to collect and analyze data, because the paradigm is changing as they are observing it.

This is all to say that the data that Chamblee is using is backwards looking, and if courses are being actively changed (I'm sure many are not), the usefulness of that data inherently limited in it's ability create optimal strategies.

None of this is a "big point" as the changes that happen in a reflexive market are usually slow (especially one like professional golf), but because they are backward looking, when there is a paradigm shift, it is often undetected for some time because it will necessarily be a minority of the data until enough time passes for the new paradigm to appear in the data. Thus if architects are reacting to bomb and gouge era, slowly and then all at once, a new paradigm will emerge, and suddenly angles will matter again.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 03:38:49 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #314 on: June 07, 2024, 03:38:15 PM »
This is pretty well known, and I've posted the graphic before. Brandel misspoke a little - the scoring averages from the "good angle" are basically the same as they are from the "bad angle."

Which is what you then find when you run your test. I think he may have seen a few hundredths of a shot worse, which it often does show. I call that basically equivalent, he may call it "worse" because it technically is. What it doesn't show is any significant advantage to being on the good angle, and I think that was his main point.

However, for shots with longer irons (180-250 yards), the data showed between a 0.10 and 0.15 stroke advantage in having ample green with which to work.
If you run that at 175-200, on the PGA Tour, you again get the negligible difference. The "250" part of your test is doing a lot of heavy lifting there, as the ball is bouncing/rolling from those distances, even on the PGA Tour.

If fairways are 80 yards wide, players could begin to aim slightly away from the center (assuming equal hazard difficulties on both sides). But, heck man, I play courses with some fairways that are 17 yards wide. Or 24. 33 often feels like a TON of space.

And of course if they played 80-yard wide fairways, angles could matter. That's part of why they almost never matter: being in the fairway is a huge plus over being in even light rough, and even rough is better than taking penalty strokes.

In short, the "better" angle makes people play more aggressively and lose a few shots as a result. If you play the same amount out to the right as you did from the worse side, then you haven't gained anything from having the better angle.
Correct. Except in situations where you can't control the ball landing and rolling out very well, the ideal target shifts very little from the "good" and "bad" angle.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #315 on: June 07, 2024, 03:47:11 PM »
Since I have this from another forum…

I gave the “angles don’t matter” speech at the ASGCA’s annual meeting/conference last year, but concluded with the times that angles can matter:

• When the ball is rolling
  • ------ Firm conditions (s/o Royal Melbourne)
  • ------ Lower skilled players (older players, juniors, people who can't get the ball in the air or stop it very quickly)
  • ------ Recovery shots
  • ------ Etc.
  • Esthetically
  • Rarely, in situations like the 12th at Augusta where long left and short right are bad and the green favors lefty players.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tom_Doak

« Reply #316 on: June 07, 2024, 03:50:00 PM »

The data showed that under this definition, there is virtually zero benefit to having a good angle from wedge distances in the fairway. This result makes sense, as professional golfers are consistently able to stop shots on the green immediately from the fairway with a short iron in hand.

So you are telling me that the angle of approach makes no difference on the 10th hole at Riviera?  Or the 16th at Pacific Dunes?

Why does everyone talk about them so much then?  Why do pros aim way left on 10 at Riviera, and why do they make bogeys when they miss to the right?

I will agree with you that on the average hole, the angle doesn't matter when you've got a wedge in your hands.  But it's just dumb to say that we can't make the angle matter.

Ben Sims

« Reply #317 on: June 07, 2024, 04:07:12 PM »
Didn’t this horse die already? I see a lot of statistical insignificance with Brandel’s take. It appears to me that the stats dudes want use a bit of correlation = causation and take aggregate data and apply to every situation. To his credit, Erik is saying that angles can matter greatly to lesser skilled players and those that can’t aerially attack greens from any angle. Aka, the MAJORITY of golfers.

But let’s be real real for a second. There’s a reason for all this angles don’t matter talk from people with data sets to support. It aligns with their *other* cause of the moment, being anti-rollback. Aka, distance is the only way to truly make a course more or less difficult.

If only there was a way have shots being played at lower trajectories and longer distances from greens.  :)

Michael Felton

« Reply #318 on: June 07, 2024, 04:13:29 PM »
Didn’t this horse die already? I see a lot of statistical insignificance with Brandel’s take. It appears to me that the stats dudes want use a bit of correlation = causation and take aggregate data and apply to every situation. To his credit, Erik is saying that angles can matter greatly to lesser skilled players and those that can’t aerially attack greens from any angle. Aka, the MAJORITY of golfers.

But let’s be real real for a second. There’s a reason for all this angles don’t matter talk from people with data sets to support. It aligns with their *other* cause of the moment, being anti-rollback. Aka, distance is the only way to truly make a course more or less difficult.

If only there was a way have shots being played at lower trajectories and longer distances from greens.  :)

Do you think the game is too easy for a "majority" of golfers? Or is it a small handful who need reining back in?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #319 on: June 07, 2024, 04:20:40 PM »

Do you think the game is too easy for a "majority" of golfers? Or is it a small handful who need reining back in?

My answer would be that probably 5-10% of golfers would prefer to play a more challenging course, and that a rollback would provide that to them more easily than renovating hundreds or thousands of golf courses.

But then architects wouldn't get paid to tinker around and try to fight against the game becoming easier because of equipment!  And professional golfers are all on Titleist's payroll.*  So there are relatively few jurisdictions who are adamant about a rollback.

* I have always just loudly speculated that Titleist are far and away the biggest roadblock to a rollback, but it was nice to hear that speculation confirmed recently, by someone who has seen all the documents.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #320 on: June 07, 2024, 04:31:14 PM »

I think people are a bit up in arms because the technology is trickling down to local club matches. The majority of the near-scratch folks at my club now hit the ball 270-300, and that's pretty standard. I think the reason it's become an issue is that, with the bomb-and-gouge becoming the dominant strategy, the two groups (the 190-240 distances vs the 260-300) are effectively playing a different game.

I haven't had my equipment upgraded in over a decade or so, so I still have a neutral driver that I shape shots with. People playing at the high end of distances won't do that because their driver is dialed in to one single swing. It's just a different game at that point.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Ben Sims

« Reply #321 on: June 07, 2024, 05:07:55 PM »

I believe there’s a certain scale that golf is best played at. Modern equipment seems to have supersized that scale.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #322 on: June 07, 2024, 05:09:56 PM »
So you are telling me that the angle of approach makes no difference on the 10th hole at Riviera?  Or the 16th at Pacific Dunes?
Tom, angles occasionally matter, and you've seen enough of my posts to know my thoughts on this, too, I think: when the ball is rolling, angles matter more.

The 10th is narrow (or shallow) with a lot of tilt. The ball rolls on it.

I will agree with you that on the average hole, the angle doesn't matter when you've got a wedge in your hands.  But it's just dumb to say that we can't make the angle matter.
Angles don't matter much when the game is point-to-point (minimal roll). If the ball isn't on the ground, it's not interacting with the architecture much.

Maybe not the majority, or the majority of rounds played. Even bad golfers can hit the ball in the air and stop it relatively quickly (they don't often play particularly firm setups).
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #323 on: June 07, 2024, 05:33:17 PM »
10 at Riv also rolls away from the players, adding to its difficulty.  I've seen a few Tom Doak greens where they tilt away from the golfer, i.e., making the ball run out further for even high spin players. 

Imagine a green angled left, bunker front left.  Traditionalists would say coming in from the right is an advantage. I believe most gca's would raise the back right of the green, mostly to make it visible, but also to make a shot coming over the bunker at least possible with a backstop/upslope to help hold the ball.  And, in reality, if a green was impossible to approach from the "wrong side" by virtue of width (depth from that side) or reverse slope, then is it strategic by Ross' comment of "There is the hole, play it any way you please?"

It isn't the frontal hazard locations that affect top players, if coming over a bunker into a typical back to front sloping green, they will just hit it higher and with more spin to bring it back to the hole. 

The thing those Golden Age books didn't explore much was what happened when you did have the wrong angle?  The player can adjust his shot, aim for the fattest part of the green and walk away with 2 putts and a par.

The other thing wrong with the traditional golden age theories is that if you don't hit ground balls, it might be preferred (and I know many tour pros that say this) to come in from the side of the greenside bunker covering the green.  Like teeing up close to OB to give you the greatest safety angle, the approach shot can be aimed at the far side of the green with a hint of curve.  If perfectly aimed, it can get close to the pin without clearing the hazard and if it goes straight, you have downhill putt but don't find hazards.  The bunker comes into play only if you over cook the shot, which should lead to a penalty of some kind.

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #324 on: June 07, 2024, 06:20:26 PM »

The other thing wrong with the traditional golden age theories is that if you don't hit ground balls, it might be preferred (and I know many tour pros that say this) to come in from the side of the greenside bunker covering the green.  Like teeing up close to OB to give you the greatest safety angle, the approach shot can be aimed at the far side of the green with a hint of curve.  If perfectly aimed, it can get close to the pin without clearing the hazard and if it goes straight, you have downhill putt but don't find hazards.  The bunker comes into play only if you over cook the shot, which should lead to a penalty of some kind.

Jeff:

I remember at Archipalooza 23 years ago, Brian Silva saying that he would rather approach the 6th green at Pacific Dunes from the left, over the deep bunker, because he was more comfortable hitting his wedge the right carry distance, whereas if he came in lengthwise, he was always prone to pulling it over the left side and down the hill.  Most of the room thought he was nuts!

But then, a couple of years ago at the TPC at Sawgrass, some kid in a high school tournament played the 18th hole up the 9th [in the rough, no less] so that he could carry the ball back over the pond to that green, instead of taking the chance of pulling his second shot from the correct fairway!

I had Padraig Harrington say to me last year about a hole at The Renaissance Club, "I am never going to miss 8 yards short with an iron from 210 yards".  Those guys do play a very different game!  Indeed, a lot of the reason it's hard to design anything counter to them is because they never have to worry about a ball that's a bit dead, so their carry yardages are absolutely dialed in.  If a Tour pro's carry distance with the driver is 296 yards, he will confidently go for it if the carry is 288 or even 290 -- that's how consistent their swings are, and their equipment.  That would have been crazy 30 years ago.

That's why I think angles still matter -- because I hear the players trying to avoid them, and reduce every hole to carry distance, where they are much more consistent.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back