News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Swilken Bridge
« on: February 04, 2023, 02:26:15 PM »
I cannot post pictures so hopefully someone will but there’s a storm brewing in St Andrews over changes around the Swilken Bridge. Personally i think it looks awful.

St Andrews Photo Corner on FB has a couple of pictures.
Cave Nil Vino

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Swilken Bridge
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 02:35:28 PM »
It does look absolutely awful. It was a misjudged solution to a problem that needed fixed. I am sure it will get reversed.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 02:59:21 PM »
Is David Jones (UK Golf Guy on Twitter) a poster here? He’s got some pics of it.
F.

PS a link: [size=78%]https://t.co/XDljucNB5z[/size]
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 03:04:31 PM »
To paraphrase KC3, “.. a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much loved and elegant friend”.

Atb
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 03:09:08 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 03:23:39 PM »
People are having fun with photobucket hope its reversed before someone actually takes selfies of  their bar b que on the new approach.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 03:44:44 PM »
Never been there.

Serious question: Why?
That patch of earth isn't in play for any bad shot, is it? Had it become a dangerous entrance for the inevitable photos?

Cal Seifert

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 03:45:04 PM »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 04:43:24 PM »
Never been there.

That patch of earth isn't in play for any bad shot, is it? Had it become a dangerous entrance for the inevitable photos?

You're right. It really isn't in play except for a dreadful shot into 17, but it looks monstrous.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

MCirba

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 04:58:45 PM »
Egads.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Swilcan Bridge
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 06:43:14 PM »
What's worse: the new patio or the misspelling of one of the most famous bridges (THE most famous bridge?) in golf?  :)

(The patio is horrendous. What the heck?)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 07:05:23 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 07:06:27 PM »
If you are going to make a post about spelling, then probably best to choose a subject that doesn't have multiple accepted spellings.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Swilcan Bridge
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 07:25:53 PM »
If you are going to make a post about spelling, then probably best to choose a subject that doesn't have multiple accepted spellings.
Pffffffft. But, sure, okay.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 07:27:36 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 07:26:14 PM »
The Swilken Bridge was originally the road bridge over the burn with the walking bridge just being called the ‘Golfers Bridge’. I’m sure someone will come up with other evidence though. It’s all a rather inexact science…

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 08:57:31 PM »

WTF?

Sean Walsh

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 10:10:39 PM »
On the plus side it’s not as offensive as the additional bunkers on #2

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2023, 12:10:02 AM »
I am surprised the bridge isn't protected in some way under planning. The patio looks dreadful. The ironic thing is if that stonework was always there nobody would give it a second thought. The stonework path used to extend further, beyond the bridge. Not sure when it was removed.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 12:20:44 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2023, 02:36:22 AM »
Never been there.

Peter the turf around the bridge was unsightly due to the sheer number of people having photographs taken, of which I’d estimate 5% or less are golfers actually playing the course. It’s a very busy spot.
Cave Nil Vino

Brian Moran

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2023, 04:27:59 AM »
It was probably not the best solution to the problem, but the angle the pictures are being taken at is taking it out of proportion. I walk past it every day and it's not very noticeable.

But the most offensive part that nobody is mentioning is how the stones they put down are nowhere close to matching the ones on the actual bridge which looks really dumb.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2023, 05:50:31 AM »
"Why doesn't anyone get into golf maintenance anymore?"
-Well, first we're going to overuse and abuse something to show off we were there and then we're going to criticize the solution.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

David Jones

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2023, 07:49:36 AM »
Is David Jones (UK Golf Guy on Twitter) a poster here? He’s got some pics of it.
F.

Here's the shots I put up on Twitter yesterday

This one, which Brian Ewen has posted already, is probably a more representative angle -

And this one -

The Dundee Courier have sent their own photographer with a proper camera and everything!

Apparently the bridge is a grade B listed building and it looks like permission wasn't obtained for the work. Had they done so there would have been a) a decision on whether the footprint was appropriate and b) instruction as to the material to be used. If it is true that the Links Trust didn't get approval then that's very poor of them. Golf Digest have laid the blame firmly at the door of the R&A which says a lot about their journalistic standards.

As for Eric's assertion that the bridge is spelt wrong I think others have dealt with that. I have always been a Swilken man. Although Marty makes the pertinent point that this bridge, historically, was named the Golfer's Bridge. It probably didn't work as well for marketing purposes though.

I can't remember once walking over the bridge and either thinking, or hear someone else mention, the state of the turf on the walk up. Having said that I can understand why they may want to do something. There have been various solutions tried over the years so hopefully when they take this down the Links Trust will come up with something that works. I am sure theywould be more than happy to receive and ideas from this community!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 08:36:55 AM by David Jones »

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2023, 08:14:43 AM »
F.

Here's the shots I put up on Twitter yesterday

This one, which Brian Ewen has posted already, is probably a more representative angle -

And this one -

The Dundee Courier have sent their own photographer with a proper camera and everything!

Apparently the bridge is a grade B listed building and it looks like permission wasn't obtained for the work. Had they done so there would have been a) a decision on whether the footprint was appropriate and b) instruction as to the material to be used. If it is true that the Links Trust didn't get approval then frankly they deserve a good kicking. Golf Digest have laid the blame firmly at the door of the R&A which says a lot about their journalistic standards.

As for Eric's assertion that the bridge is spelt wrong I think others have dealt with that. I have always been a Swilken man. Although Marty makes the pertinent point that this bridge, historically, was named the Golfer's Bridge. It probably didn't work as well for marketing purposes though.

I can't remember once walking over the bridge and either thinking, or hear someone else mention, the state of the turf on the walk up. Having said that I can understand why they may want to do something. There have been various solutions tried over the years so hopefully when they take this down the Links Trust will come up with something that works. I am sure theywould be more than happy to receive and ideas from this community!

There's another 10 quid tacked onto the greenfee. The Trust pays for nothing. It's tourist who pay 😕.

I said before that I would be very surprised if the bridge isn't protected by some level of planning.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2023, 09:02:18 AM »
The Links Trust have issued this PR on their website today:
https://standrews.com/articles/swilcan_bridge_approach_works

The spelling controversy continues!  :D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 09:16:53 AM by Marty Bonnar »

David Jones

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2023, 09:19:47 AM »

This seems a little defensive - 'For the avoidance of doubt, we can categorically state that no works have been undertaken to the bridge itself. The ongoing works are solely focussed on the turfed approach area to the bridge'.

It will be interesting to see if that works with the authorities. I'm pretty sure you need permission to build an extension onto a historic building.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2023, 09:27:08 AM »

This seems a little defensive - 'For the avoidance of doubt, we can categorically state that no works have been undertaken to the bridge itself. The ongoing works are solely focussed on the turfed approach area to the bridge'.

It will be interesting to see if that works with the authorities. I'm pretty sure you need permission to build an extension onto a historic building.

David,
Given many of the Trustees represent the ‘authorities’ - either the Scottish Government or Fife Council, it is mind-boggling (but not in the least surprising given their previous history!) that they have gone ahead with this without any planning consultation.
I predict a massive back-pedal…
F.

Tim Martin

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2023, 10:24:57 AM »
Anyone have a photo of the turf before the change? Is it basically for aesthetics?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back