News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Fazio’s Tom Marzolf renews Bonita Bay Club's Cypress The Cypress Course at Bonita Bay Club in Naples, Florida — a private, 1997 Tom Fazio design — has reopened following a 14-month renovation. The 400-acre layout, which sits adjacent to the Everglades and other protected wetlands, was mildly impacted by October’s Hurricane Ian.
Led by Fazio Design senior associate Tom Marzolf, the renovation touched every hole on the course to make it more strategic for championship-level competitions and more playable for the entire club membership.
"Bonita Bay is a uniquely proactive club," Marzolf said. "Cypress was in really good shape, but the members and management wanted to improve the experience for golfers of all abilities and ages.”
The most significant aspect of the renovation was raising the entire course by 12 to 18 inches to improve drainage. Six new lakes were created, four existing lakes were expanded, and the resulting 200,000 cubic yards of earth were spread across the property. Fairways were widened, 450 new catch basins were added and perforated pipe was laid underground to move water away from playable areas. The hurricane and record rains in September revealed areas that needed additional drainage work, which has now been remediated.
"The pre-renovation engineering studies paid off," said EJ McDonnell, director of golf. “Retained water stayed in places it was designed to stay in."
Cypress is one of two courses at the Naples campus, located about 10 miles from Bonita Bay Club’s primary location close to the Gulf of Mexico. The second Naples campus course, Sabal, is a 1998 Fazio design that will be renovated starting in fall 2023.

Read more:
https://www.firstcallgolf.com/design-notes/feature/2022-12-12/fazios-tom-marzolf-renews-bonita-bay-clubs-cypress

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

Re: The Cypress Course at Bonita Bay Club in Naples, FL ('97,T.Fazio)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 08:29:41 PM »
Gotta say it blows my mind that a course nobody ever mentions as exceptional would spend millions with the same designer to raise the whole course 12" to 18".

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 09:32:41 PM »
"Bonita Bay is a uniquely proactive club," Marzolf said. "Cypress was in really good shape, but the members and management wanted to improve the experience for golfers of all abilities and ages.”

Assessment?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 09:42:33 AM »
Gotta say it blows my mind that a course nobody ever mentions as exceptional would spend millions with the same designer to raise the whole course 12" to 18".

All the privates in Naples have money to burn. Initiation fees are way over priced and almost all the clubs still have huge waiting lists. It's ridiculous.

In Fiddlers Creek the Creek course (no waiting list but almost full). Arthur Hills course nice layout, Paspalum greens that on a good day roll 8 or 9. No clubhouse. Supposed to start construction in 2023. Equity initiation is now $250,000. That comes directly from the membership salesman. Talk about a course no one mentions. It's mindboggling what's going on down there.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Daryl David

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 10:52:36 AM »

All the privates in Naples have money to burn. Initiation fees are way over priced and almost all the clubs still have huge waiting lists. It's ridiculous.

If initiation fees are overpriced, why are there huge wait lists?

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 02:34:07 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 02:35:55 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Keith Williams

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 03:22:04 PM »
As a former ten-year resident of Southwest Florida, I can say it is amazing how much money there is to be thrown around in the Naples area.

Daryl David

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 04:35:36 PM »

I guess my point would be that the initiation fees are not “way over priced” but actually priced correctly for the market. People waiting on a list to buy something might even suggest that the product is a bit under priced.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back