News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Jackson

Need a little help - Golf's Great Walkups/Walkbacks
« on: December 16, 2022, 07:48:44 PM »
A good friend and I are in the process of putting together a photo collection of our travels with specific attention to the greatest inter-hole walks in golf.  Although any particular paths specific to walkers are our wider goal, we're hoping to fine tune at the beginning to the great walking paths between holes.  Think: the walk around the corner at Cypress Point, after crossing the road, to the 15th.  Or the path connecting the 6th and 7th (among others) at Barnbougle, or across the bridge on the back 9 at Friar's Head. 

Although we've done a fair bit of travel and research between us, and we have a handful of compelling candidates, I have no doubt that this board could help come up with some of our blind spots.  Although the courses above are undoubtedly from the world's best, which are fertile ground, our intent is more about the path than the course.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from my well-travelled colleagues on this board.

Thanks
Jim

Tom_Doak

Re: Need a little help - Golf's Great Walkups/Walkbacks
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 08:06:31 PM »
I'd say the walk from 4 to 5 at Barnbougle is the ticket there.

Likewise the walk from 3 to 4 at Pacific Dunes, and from 3 to 4 at St. Patrick's, and from 3 to 4 at Ballyneal.

But the walk from 15 green to 16 tee at Cape Kidnappers is probably more dramatic than any of those.

Peter Flory

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 08:15:04 PM »
I'd buy that coffee table book.

Jim Jackson

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 08:19:30 PM »
Thanks - our plan is to make it just that - a coffee table book

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 08:33:54 PM »
Not dramatic but quite cool is the walk from 14 to 15 at Crail Balcomie. It is almost out to the point where the North Sea meets the Firth of Forth. The colors in the water were eye catching.

Jim Jackson

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 08:38:55 PM »
I'll get some pix from that spot at Crail in July!

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 08:50:25 PM »
Hard to beat the walk from the 2nd green on to the 3rd tee at Royal Dornoch, especially in May when the gorse is in full bloom. One of the great sights/vistas in golf.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 08:50:49 PM »
The walk from 13 to 14 at Bandon Trails is one that you never forget.

Jim Jackson

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2022, 08:59:00 PM »
Hard to beat the walk from the 2nd green on to the 3rd tee at Royal Dornoch, especially in May when the gorse is in full bloom. One of the great sights/vistas in golf.

Such a great view there - and the walk up the hill after Whinny Brae is not bad either

Cal Seifert

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2022, 09:09:42 PM »
My favorite is the climb out of the punch bowl 16th hole at the National Golf Links. Once you make it out you turn around and look down the 17th fairway towards the entrance gates and the Peconic Bay.

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2022, 09:10:07 PM »
Jim J. -

If you have not been to Royal Dornoch in the last couple of years (since the new 7th hole opened), you should try to return there soon. The view from the tee box walking the entire length of the hole to the green is stunning.

DT

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2022, 09:37:43 PM »
15 to 16 at Friars Head is pretty great,

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/color]
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2022, 09:50:47 PM »
14to15 at Ballyhack is nice too.

St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2022, 09:54:27 PM »
3to4 at Fishers Island

St. John of the Cross

Daryl David

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2022, 09:58:53 PM »
The 400 yard walk between 12 and 13 at Highland Links in Cape Breton which runs along side a scenic brook is noteworthy.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2022, 09:59:56 PM »
Jim J. -

If you have not been to Royal Dornoch in the last couple of years (since the new 7th hole opened), you should try to return there soon. The view from the tee box walking the entire length of the hole to the green is stunning.

By the same token, I thought that the walk to the third tee is no longer what it used to be, with the tee jammed down the slope to stop you from hooking the ball into the row of houses up the left side.  [Of course, it wouldn't be the same as it used to be from the old tee now, either, with the houses so prominent.]

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2022, 10:00:31 PM »
14 to 15 at The EuropeanEuropean Club. Looking back toward 13.

St. John of the Cross

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2022, 10:02:19 PM »
The 400 yard walk between 12 and 13 at Highland Links in Cape Breton which runs along side a scenic brook is noteworthy.

I am looking forward to that in Ocober.
St. John of the Cross

Tim Martin

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2022, 10:02:41 PM »
Walk from 5 green at the Creek to 6 tee where you are afforded a terrific view of Long Island Sound.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 07:55:30 AM by Tim Martin »

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2022, 10:37:55 PM »
   Somebody (maybe Tom Doak) called the walk from the 14th green to the 15th tee at Teeth of the Dog “the most beautiful walk in golf.” Walking past Oscar de la Renta’s old house and turning a corner to see the Caribbean Sea and the 15th tee perched over the sea is pretty special.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2022, 12:17:33 AM »
Only a vague recollection, but I want to say 10 to 11 or 11 to 12 at Pacific Grove was kinda cool. I think I was writing down my score or putting my putter back in my bag when I looked back up only to see a giant-antlered buck standing atop a sand dune, staring right at me. For a second it felt like that thing was 30 feet tall. Even if the deer wasn't there, I sorta recall the introduction of the dunes as a cool walk from one green to the next tee. Anyone been there recently enough to confirm and/or tell me I'm fabricating this? (I think it was almost 20 years ago that I played it.)
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2022, 03:16:34 AM »
14 to 15 at The EuropeanEuropean Club. Looking back toward 13.

I was going to mention The European but this is a strange choice. The big “reveal” is the 11th to 12th. In many ways, it is similar to the 3/4 transition at St. Patricks that Tom mentions above.

However, I don’t think either of them fit as neither of them are very long. Surely the essence here is the journey as much as the reveal?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2022, 04:13:23 AM »
8th to 9th at Cruden Bay.
The previous 9th to 10th at CB wasn't too shabby either.
10th to 11th at Carne (original Hackett routing)
6th to 7th at Carne (original Kilmore-9)
That'll do for now.
atb

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2022, 07:56:53 AM »
In a very different way...without any of the natur=al beauty of the other suggestions on this thread, but in its own way very compelling, the walk from 16green to 17 tee at TPC Stadium at Sawgrass.  Includes the decision as whether one should look up towards 17 green before getting to the 17th tee.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2022, 09:00:16 AM »
5th green to 6th tee at Pebble Beach and 6th Green to 7th tee there also. Last time I played there the sun came out over the fog just as we got to the 6th tee with that beautiful hole ahead. Like God smiling on you. 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back