News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Toscana CC, Indian Wells, CA?
« on: October 21, 2022, 04:14:10 PM »
Never heard of these courses(N&S) until I saw it on a list of best residential courses in America a few moments ago. I try to keep up with new courses in CA, but somehow missed these Nicklaus privates that opened in 2005. I found out why when I checked out the website and found golf memberships were 100G and monthly dues 3G. The website has nice flyovers of both courses and they look immaculate but not spectacular like Laquinta or PGA West let alone Stone Eagle or Big Horn. I guess exclusivity had its price. Anyway just wondered if anyone had played the courses and what you thought about the architecture and challenge as well as conditions. Who knows there's always the lottery! 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Toscana CC, Indian Wells, CA?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 06:38:30 PM »
I played them four or five years ago. They are both pleasant courses in immaculate condition with lots of sand and greens with some good movement. They are probably average Nicklaus. The club is top drawer, however,
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Leahy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 05:34:09 PM »
Anybody else play here? Must be REALLY exclusive. :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 05:59:29 PM »
Haven't played there, but had a lunch there after playing a round at another club with a guy in my foursome who was a member at Toscana. The club certainly fits into the high end desert club category. No idea about the course, however as I wasn't in town long enough to play. I know Bill Harmon was/is their pro.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 06:04:02 PM »
https://toscanacc.com/
Take a look at https://toscanacc.com/indian-wells-homes/all-listings.aspx
3M+ houses and the amenities are high end. All you need is $$$$

The Head Pro at my former club in the Philly 'burbs became the Director of Golf at Toscano and lasted about 10 years there in the desert. He returned and is now the General Manager and COO.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mark Kiely

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 07:42:46 PM »
I don't know him personally, but their head pro is a good follow on Instagram and often posts beautiful photos of the two courses (in addition to his impressive golf travels):
https://instagram.com/martymatsuzakigolf

Also, must not be TOO exclusive because a friend of mine played in an SCGA member outing there about 5 years ago. I don't believe they offer one anymore, though. Here's his blog post from that experience:

https://bogeysacrossamerica.com/2017/05/16/course-reviews-toscana-country-club/
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Daryl David

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 10:30:21 PM »
I don't know him personally, but their head pro is a good follow on Instagram and often posts beautiful photos of the two courses (in addition to his impressive golf travels):
https://instagram.com/martymatsuzakigolf

Marty was just named the Director of Golf at The Bridges in Rancho Santa Fe near San Diego. Very deserving of the post. Great club pro.

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 01:25:51 AM »
Tim

I played one of these courses.  Great conditioning on land with nice character but I did not find the design anything to get excited about.  A course to enjoy if invited but not one to seek out in my opinion.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 08:57:35 PM »
They are both pleasant courses in immaculate condition with lots of sand and greens with some good movement. They are probably average Nicklaus. The club is top drawer, however,

It’s easy to be average in the desert. You’re dealing with housing communities and a clientele that has money that are only going to be there a few months per year. It’s all cart golf with parties at night.

Out of 130 courses there’s a few outliers. There’s a few that are pure golf clubs like Quarry, Plantation, The Palms and Stone Eagle.

There’s only a few that have no homes but that doesn’t guarantee success.  I played Classic Club last year which doesn’t have homes and it was still horrible.

I haven’t played Toscana but have never heard anything of interest. Nicklaus did the same thing at Morningside which is now very dated.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 11:40:55 AM »
How about El Dorado? I heard that was amazing but really hard to get on.  Anyone played there? It’s in the same area.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2022, 12:32:51 PM »
[quote author=Joel_Stewart link=topic=71416.msg1717399#msg1717399 date=1667872655
It’s easy to be average in the desert. You’re dealing with housing communities and a clientele that has money that are only going to be there a few months per year. It’s all cart golf with parties at night.

Yet - when you drive past the empty squares of land in the valley you find this wonderful landscape of humps and hollows formed by the wind blowing sand (I assume it is sand) past scrub.  It seems like it would be possible to build something really nice in such areas through a minimalist approach.  I would love to see it but I have neither the money nor the inclination to do it.   

Doug Wright

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 01:32:56 PM »
Tim

I played one of these courses.  Great conditioning on land with nice character but I did not find the design anything to get excited about.  A course to enjoy if invited but not one to seek out in my opinion.

I played one of the Toscana courses a couple years ago and agree 100% with Jason. Classic Nicklaus company design and features, including the left to right shot requirements and well bunkered elevated greens plus some water. Wasn't that long ago but i can't remember anything otherwise particularly memorable except the very nice large homes surrounding the course, one of which I managed to hit with a rare (for me) hooked tee shot...
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back