News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: I’m glad Alister Mac didn’t live to see this!
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2022, 12:36:06 PM »
I played the U of M golf course for the first time this year and thought it was fantastic. If they park on it it certainly didn't show any signs in mid July. And my oh my those greens have not been desecrated, there just happens to be a rather jarring water feature on the 18th  ::)

The course should have healed by July. Usually it doesn't take long for it to get back into shape. The water on 18 is a surprise for folks.

Given that they only presumably park on the course in the fall for the football games, I would hope it would be fine by the following spring, much less summer. 

However, given peak playing conditions in the northern states are often in September and early October, seems an inconvenient time to be trampling down golf courses in such manner.

Parking is in the rough. I have played after home games. The course was fine. Too much has been out of this since the first time outsiders (😎) heard about it.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2022, 07:53:59 PM »
Posters here may be surprised to know that when Royal Melbourne hosts large tournaments over the Composite course, the practice in past decades has been to afford members the chance to park conveniently on the fairway of the ninth hole on the West course. The ninth is one of the very few West holes inside the main property fence line that is not included in the Composite course routing. I remember the feeling of unease when I first saw this back in 1998 during the Presidents Cup - cars neatly lined up on that fairway. I still feel it as I type this post...
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Jeff Schley

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2022, 03:40:32 AM »
Posters here may be surprised to know that when Royal Melbourne hosts large tournaments over the Composite course, the practice in past decades has been to afford members the chance to park conveniently on the fairway of the ninth hole on the West course. The ninth is one of the very few West holes inside the main property fence line that is not included in the Composite course routing. I remember the feeling of unease when I first saw this back in 1998 during the Presidents Cup - cars neatly lined up on that fairway. I still feel it as I type this post...
Holy shishkabobs! I would think they would be better paying every member's Uber bill to/from than risking damaging their masterpiece of a course.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mike Bodo

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2022, 02:51:41 PM »
My boss has been a member at Ann Arbor Golf and Outing several years and I frequenty play there with him in Oct. The course is amazingly resilient to the vehicle/foot traffic it is subjected to on football Saturday's. Same goes for the UM golf course. I've played both a few days following a game and most times you'd never know there were hundreds if not thousands of vehicles parked on it. Like our college football teams, we build our golf courses tough in Michigan.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 03:47:54 PM by Mike Bodo »
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2022, 03:44:52 PM »
My boss has been a member at Ann Arbor Golf and Outing several years and I frequenty play there with him in Oct. The course is amazingly resilient to the vehicle/foot traffic it is subjected to on football Saturday's. Same goes for the UM golf course. I've played both a few days following a game and most times you'd never know there were hundreds if not thousands of vehicles parked on it. Like our college football teams, we build our golf courses in Michigan tough.  ;D ;D

Right. Many sometimes forget that we are talking about grass. In many places its just another name for weed. We can be overly precious can't we?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2022, 04:15:26 PM »
My boss has been a member at Ann Arbor Golf and Outing several years and I frequenty play there with him in Oct. The course is amazingly resilient to the vehicle/foot traffic it is subjected to on football Saturday's. Same goes for the UM golf course. I've played both a few days following a game and most times you'd never know there were hundreds if not thousands of vehicles parked on it. Like our college football teams, we build our golf courses tough in Michigan.  ;D ;D

Mike,

What kind of grass are the greens at AAG&OC? I was up for a game a few weeks ago and at a tailgate there. The greens were roped off, but I went up to one of them to poke it, feel it, and look at it. It looked like bent, but maybe a hybrid bent? Definitely looked like different grass than the U course.

Just curious if you might know.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2022, 12:25:52 PM »
Mike,

What kind of grass are the greens at AAG&OC? I was up for a game a few weeks ago and at a tailgate there. The greens were roped off, but I went up to one of them to poke it, feel it, and look at it. It looked like bent, but maybe a hybrid bent? Definitely looked like different grass than the U course.

They're bent. Nice condition, too.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2022, 02:16:16 AM »
Mike,

They're bent. Nice condition, too.
Yes they were/are!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back