News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Maketewah Country Club in Cincinnati, Ohio, has reopened its golf course following a restoration by Brian Silva.
The club was founded in 1910 after moving from the nearby Avondale Athletic Club (with that site becoming the Xavier University campus). Tom Bendelow designed the original course and, in 1919, Donald Ross carried out a redesign that included creating two new holes (the third and fourth), which are still part of the current routing.
In 2010, the club hired Silva to create a masterplan that would restore the course’s Ross identity. The $6.5 million project, which was completed in three phases, began in 2012 with work on holes two, four, five and ten, tree removal, and the introduction of a new 2.5-acre short-game area and an indoor practice facility. The second and third phases focused on restoring bunkers and greens, tee work, shifting and expanding fairways, regrassing and eliminating select cart paths.
Bunkers are now reminiscent to those designed by Ross, whether that be the existing hazards that have been restored or the new ones that have been added (25 new fairway bunkers have been built as part of the project) to better frame the holes. The Better Billy Bunker method is now featured in all bunkers.
Fairway bunkers are now more perpendicular in shape. “We’re trying to put a little movement in the bunker faces so that they capture people’s attention,” said Silva on the club’s YouTube channel, reviewing the restored course. “And hopefully capture their fancy, and that they are assisting in the site’s drama and beauty.”

You will note the correct link ;D

Read more:

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/brian-silva-completes-ross-restoration-at-maketewah
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 07:27:42 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JLahrman

Re: Maketewah CC ( 1910 Bendelow, 1919 Ross) in Cincinnati, Ohio,
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 06:35:47 PM »
I never played there despite growing up in Cincinnati. But it's on a fun piece of land, and the video sure makes it looks interesting.

Bill Shamleffer

Here are some additional videos of some of the specific hole changes.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=71520.0
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Matt Frey, PGA

I interned at Maketewah in 2007 and have been fortunate to go back and play it a couple of times since, but I haven't been there since 2014. The course has always been a lot of fun to play, and as mentioned, sits on pretty impressive terrain in the heart of the Cincinnati area. The course features a great mix of fun and strategic holes (like Nos. 3, 4, and 11) and flat-out tough holes (like Nos. 6 and 13). Both nines end on par-3s too, which is pretty unique; No. 9 plays long that allows players to run the ball up onto the green, while No. 18 is relatively short, and all carry.

The videos and photos make the recent work look very impressive...I hope to visit sometime in the future to see it for myself!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back