News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Beverly CC IS a Donald Ross course
« on: November 24, 2003, 09:47:27 PM »
Just want to make this point - the golf course we are enjoying today at Beverly CC is the one that Donald Ross designed for us!

Based on some previous threads, there may be a question as to who designed this course.

Make no mistake, whether Ross designed our original course is immaterial.  We KNOW for a fact that the course we are playing today is Ross'.

As an additional note, the restoration of Beverly's Ross course by architect Ron Prichard is coming along very nicely. ;) ;)

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

A_Clay_Man

Re:Beverly CC IS a Donald Ross course
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 09:09:03 AM »
Paul- Would you care to elaborate on what more has been done since my visit in June? I assume from your post that the experiment of restoring one hole, so that membership would have a visual of exactly what the difference will be, was a success.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 12:15:18 PM »
.... and a darned good one at that, as is.  It would be easy for such a club to do nothing, but Paul et al are to be congratulated for taking the next step by implementing Ron Pritchard's master plan.  Eleven through eighteen are rock solid no-frills golf.  

Paul,

What's the plan for the massive eighth green?  Hardly original, but I liked it immensely!

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 09:19:03 PM »
Adam:

All tees have been rebuilt and squared.  I believe there are less than 10 bunkers still left to be rebuilt.  All greens have been expanded back to their original fill-pad size.  Tree management has been done.  The work is progressing - let's hope the winter grow-in season is a good one!

Mike:

You are correct about the 8th green.  It was originally a very smallish green, basically the front third of what you saw.  Apparently, when the WGA came in to tour the course prior to the 1963 Western Open, they felt 8 was the weakest hole on the course and told the club to build a new green in back to lengthen the hole.  The club decided not to abandon the original green and, basically, connected the original green to the newly built one to create a green some 60-plus yards long.

Ron Prichard's plan was to rebuild the back part and regrade it, more along the lines of what Ross might have done.  The green is completed and awaiting sunshine to complete grow-in.  Number 8 will no longer be a pushover, IMHO.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 06:43:52 AM »
Paul - I just played a sleepy forgotten DR course - Fountain Head in Hagerstown MD and absolutely loved it.  According to the head pro and Brad's book, FH is one of the few Ross courses untouched since its inception in 1926.  It is also one of those many courses Ross never laid eyes on.  Anyway, if you get a chance play it -- you'll see some of Beverly in it.

JC

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 10:00:19 AM »
#8 is the hole with the 90 yard long serpantine green, ain't it? I think that hole is one of the coolest on the course. I ws fortunate to be in one of the little pot bunkers on the right green front. Hot an amazing bunker shot and sumarily three putted. Easy hole  ;D

Paul- Great to hear it was full steam ahead. I look forward to a return visit, soon. ;)

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2003, 09:24:57 PM »
Adam:

Me too!! ;) :)

Paul Richards

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2003, 09:26:04 PM »
Jonathan:

Will put that course in my sights as well!

Shivas:

If you thought #8 was tough before, wait until you see it after the restoration!  Wow!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back